PDA

View Full Version : brake rotor interchangable?

raff
07-07-2005, 08:55 PM
hi guys,
im upgrading my front rotors to some cross drilled n slotted ones and am wondering if i can use my stock front rotors on the rear?? since they are substantially larger than the rear rotors i think it would be a good upgrade if possible?

-RaF-

hotgemini
07-07-2005, 09:09 PM
You *could*, all you'd need to do is find suitable calipers since the original rear calipers won't fit, then machine adaptors to mount them, get hoses to suit, possibly design a new hub to fit. If the stock setup runs the handbrake on the ID of the disc then you'll need to design a different handbrake setup. Then you'll need to get it all approved by an engineer. So in exchange for spending a bucketload of time and money you'll get a car with far greater rear braking capacity than is needed to be proportional to your very slightly upgraded front brakes. What I'm trying to subtley allude to is that its a really bad idea.

On that note, cross drilled rotors will tend to generate cracks from the holes under heatstress and will fail with at a gentler usage cycle than just a slotted rotor. Only buy the cross-drilled rotors for 'the look', whatever the hell that means.

How had your brakes been failing? Were the pads fading or was the fluid boiling?

raff
07-07-2005, 09:13 PM
okay.

my brakes arent failing at all. i like the look of cross drilled n slotted rotors n thats it!!

hotgemini
07-07-2005, 09:40 PM
I find this whole thing fascinating, people infatuated with 'the race look' but with no interest or sometimes even understanding of the reasons behind it. Its a little cart-before-horse in my opinion but I guess that is just me.

raff
07-07-2005, 09:47 PM
i never said anything about the so called "race look" or anything todo with this.

it was a simple question and i dont think it has been answered.

any1 else know wats the deal is with this swap?

hotgemini
07-07-2005, 09:59 PM
raff: By the same token, I never said you asked about the race look. As for the brake upgrade, if you'd like someone to tell you a) its possible and b) its a good idea then I'm happy to be the one to lie to you. here...

Raff: Fitting your front rotors onto the rear will be easy, the pretty much bolt straight up, just stick some washers between the caliper and its mounts to space it up.

See, there you go, just the answer you're obviously looking for, a complete lie but that won't worry you.

raff
07-07-2005, 10:06 PM
has anybody had any experience with this?

or wat is a good bolt on upgrade to my standard delsol rotors?

mr crex
08-07-2005, 12:22 AM
why dont you purchase some rear slotted discs at the same time you purchase your fronts? then you can have the "look" all the way around !!! that'd be AWESOME!!!

joyride
08-07-2005, 08:24 AM
i dont really see the point of upgrading rear brakes unless you have a beast under the bonnet. you can always get away with having stock rears if you do an engine swap. just make sure the front brakes are capable enough to pull up on a dime.

Usual Suspect
08-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Yeh you only really need to upgrade ur fronts for street driving. Track, go all round. I dont think it be worth the money you might have to spend to fit the fronts to the rears. If you want the look of the drilled and slotted rotors, just buy them for all round, but tyeh cross-drilled is pointless, only slotted brakes have a point, and work.

saxman
08-07-2005, 02:32 PM
i dont really see the point of upgrading rear brakes unless you have a beast under the bonnet. you can always get away with having stock rears if you do an engine swap. just make sure the front brakes are capable enough to pull up on a dime.
because upgrading just the front and not the rears upsets the brake bias, and will actually worsen braking distance

garett
08-07-2005, 03:23 PM
yeh it would mess up the velocity of your braking system as your rears would have more power than they are supposed to have due to the diameter.

it could only work if you got some big arse brakes on the front!!

SKREMN
08-07-2005, 05:40 PM
If your going to upgrade you rear brakes with bigger discs then youll need a bigger caliper and then to back all this up you'll need a bigger brake booster and master cylinder
you are just upgrading the disks on the front not the calipers so that means you'll have the same size disks front and back, the front take up more of the load about 60 40 and most of the weight is in the front of the car so having bigger brakes on the back could be a bad thing

Vtec4Life
08-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Having an unbalanced brake pakage can be very dangerous.

Talk to some experts if you don't want to listen to what I believe is good advice in this thread.

SBC - Glossip St St Marys
Race Brakes - Whetherill Park

That's all I got

wynode
08-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Ditto to the upsetting of brake balance.

On my Si with stock disks and some metal based aftermarket pads.....I could lock up the brakes quite easy on the track if I slammed the brakes. Very little brake fade. Don't know how the delsol is though :)

raff
08-07-2005, 10:46 PM
cheers for all the feedback guys
i was just wondering if the possibility was there since im gonna upgrade the rotors i thought id put the larger rotors on the front to the back (thinking it wasent too difficult) ill go against it since its not worth it at all.