PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or New Engine?

CAT_SPEW
07-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Hey, most of you will probably know that I ave been looking for a B16A for the last 5 months and sadly I still havent found one..
I'm starting to think about different options such as a small turbo setup to give me the extra power I'm after. If you could help me out by answering a few questions I would much appreciate it.

Okai first of all, it will be for a 1992 Honda Civic Gl EG Hatch, this is with the the 1.5L Twin Carb engine, D15B4 I think??

1> What sort of cost would be involved to do this, keeping in mind that I do not want any massive amount of boost happening, just something that gives my car some UMFPH! I won't be looking for a off the shelf kit, instead building it up with my dad and brothers.

2> What sort of gains can I expect from doing this? And will my engine be able to take it?

3> What exactly is involved in doing this?

And any advice on whether I should keep on looking for an engine or give this a go etc.?

Cheers, Matt.

civicboy
07-02-2004, 11:48 PM
i think a new engine is better than turboing wat ya got right now

crx2gen
08-02-2004, 12:27 AM
Turboing a carb is by no means impossible, but a fuel injected engine will be far easier to work with in both everyday liveability and tuning. Instead of continuing the search for the b16a that is eluding you, why not drop in the eg vti engine (d16z or y, hell, can't remember) which is a SOHC VTEC block. Alternately, a d16a8, which is what I'm doing, but I'm unsure if its legal (older engine than car etc). Furthermore, you should be able to pick them up reasonably cheaply and put the savings that you were going to spend on the b16a into the turbo setup.

For example, on my d16a8 setup, the basics I'm looking at are:

- 1GGTE Forged pistons mated to b16a rods
- Microtech LT-8
- 450cc Injectors
- S15 T28

Obviously an intercooler also, haven't found a manifold that I want/found someone who I'm happy to craft one, and also bigger fuel pump. You've said that you aren't after a huge amount of boost, so you could either build a strong motor from the word go (forged bottom end etc) or just get the setup running. Small boost (say 8psi) should be a reasonable increase on top of what you'll automatically get from a better engine, and have a decent longevity.

All that said, if you're keen on keeping your current engine, go for it. Fact is though, it'll be a pain in the arse and not as effective than a superior swap.

2ds
08-02-2004, 02:28 AM
I'm not sure if you would want to run 8psi on a d series engine without a few new parts. any comments on this from more experienced users ?

On the other hand if you blow up your d series engine with your turbo a new one wont cost much and it will be a hell of a lot easier to find than a b series.

-2ds

crx2gen
08-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Thats a good point 2ds. I mean, its a d-series, they aren't that expensive, and if you do blow it up, do it properly.

You're always better off building a tough motor straight up, but hell, if the budget isn't there do it without strong internals, but be prepared to pay for it later in any case.

What are the internals of the eg vti like?

CAT_SPEW
08-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Yeh I was thinking about that aswell but I'm not sure on what sort of money people would be after for a VTi engine?

Would I need a whole half-cut or will the VTi gearbox work with my existing one etc.?
It would probably be the better way to go because there is alot more info on turbocharging the Si and VTi engines then my model.
If I decide to go through with this, do you recommend getting an off the shelf Greddy kit for around $2500 or going a different route and doing a custom job?

($2500 for the kit is only the basic required stuff)

Thnx, Matt.

crx2gen
08-02-2004, 11:37 AM
My focus is more on the d16a8, i know SFA about EG's in general, although I'm sure there are many fellow forum members who could answer that one a little better.

As for the Greddy kit, it would suit your needs as a mild upgrade. Do they include an intercooler with it, or not? I'd consider selling you my d16a8 thats in my car (completely stock) but I'm still building my spare, and it sounds like you've had enough of waiting.

By the way, if you get your hands on another engine, and are considering selling the d15b4, drop me a line.

CAT_SPEW
08-02-2004, 11:56 AM
My focus is more on the d16a8, i know SFA about EG's in general, although I'm sure there are many fellow forum members who could answer that one a little better.

As for the Greddy kit, it would suit your needs as a mild upgrade. Do they include an intercooler with it, or not? I'd consider selling you my d16a8 thats in my car (completely stock) but I'm still building my spare, and it sounds like you've had enough of waiting.

By the way, if you get your hands on another engine, and are considering selling the d15b4, drop me a line.

D16A8, that's from an Si isn't it? I'm stil trying to work out which engine would work better with the turbo, the VTi or the Si?? Any ideas?

If you are considering selling yours that would save me a lot of calling around etc. I'll PM you so we can talk some more.

crx2gen
08-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Pm'd

SleeperCivicEX
16-02-2004, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure if you would want to run 8psi on a d series engine without a few new parts. any comments on this from more experienced users ?

I've been running my Civic D16Y8 (US) boosted going on 3 years now without modifying the internals or headgasket. Greddy bolt-on kit, FMIC, RC 440cc injectors, VAFC, BOV, exhaust, and clutch. Have almost 40,000 miles on the turbo.

CAT_SPEW
16-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Yeh that is the kit I was looking at if I decide on the turbo option. From what I've heard it's a good little setup and alot of people like it. Should know by the end of this week what I'm going to be doing.

SleeperCivicEX
16-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Well, I sold Weq his kit for fairly cheap. Not sure how much it cost in AUS currency, but I'm willing to make the same deal to you as I did to him. ;)

CAT_SPEW
16-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Ahh so your the guy I have been looking to get in contact with lol. I was talking to Weq a little while back about this. If I decide to go the VTi option I will definately be in touch with you.

Cheers, Matt.