PDA

View Full Version : 1.5L turbo.... Reliable???

danish
08-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey guys,

I've recently (just a couple days ago actually) bought myself a 95 EG hatch with an AVO turbo kit on it.

I dont mind the power, but i'm worried about the reliability of these engines. I dont mind the occasional traffic light GP and thoroughly enjoy a drive through the national park so i'm not too sure if this donk is up to it.

So basically has anyone here had much experience with a turbo'd 1.5l (injected)? If so, how much can these things take?

I am currently saving my pennys to transplant a B16A and just swap over the kit anyway but i dont want my engine to go pop in the mean time

saxman
09-07-2005, 03:50 AM
if it's tuned, and runing a reasonable amount of boost(i.e. less than 9-10 psi), it should last for quite some time as long as you maintain it... I'm not too sure what kind of engine management the AVO kit comes with... so that will make the difference

keep in mind, if you swap to a b16a, you'll need to find a new manifold... and a new downpipe... and probably some new charge pipes...

danish
09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Well its currently running 6psi (or there abouts, inaccurate boost gauge being replaced) so no problems there.

Its running a turbolink piggy back comp atm. I'll be switching to something better when the b16a goes in.

joyride
13-07-2005, 08:17 AM
why did you buy the car if you want to swap a b16a into it? seems a bit strange to me... you should have bought a b16a civic and then saved up money for the turbo upgrade.

anyway saxman is right, maintain the car regularly and it will give you no problems.

if i were you, i'd drop more oney into the current setup to make the car produce more power reliably.

danish
13-07-2005, 10:50 PM
why did you buy the car if you want to swap a b16a into it? seems a bit strange to me... you should have bought a b16a civic and then saved up money for the turbo upgrade.

anyway saxman is right, maintain the car regularly and it will give you no problems.

if i were you, i'd drop more oney into the current setup to make the car produce more power reliably.

Just alot done to the body and suspension that would have cost me alot more to do myself basically.

I'm not swapping to a b16a till i've upgraded the brakes first to something nicer and after a bit more interior work as well so i wanted something that could have a bit of fun with till i get serious bout engine mods

joyride
14-07-2005, 07:24 AM
cool cool, so are you aiming to build this car for street/track or more of a cruiser/show car?

dont forget to introduce youself in the introduction section and post pics of your ride mate.

danish
15-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Bit of a mixture of both really. Mainly going for speed but in saying that i'm not going to be stripping out the interior and junk.

I'll post up some pics once i take some nice ones on the weekend. A few people from the Forums probably know it already i'd say.....

Rufes1
20-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Stupid question, what engine is in it?

1.5ltr fuel injected in a 95 eg hatch is driving me mental.

Mental blank?

Weq
20-07-2005, 05:06 PM
i think late model EG hatches cam with a injected d15bX

LSD Motorsports
23-07-2005, 02:19 AM
Stupid question, what engine is in it?

1.5ltr fuel injected in a 95 eg hatch is driving me mental.

Mental blank?

Over here it would have been a d15b2.
Anyways mate, i think your be fine as far as reliability goes. Even 1.5 ltr honda engines are fairly strong. 6 psi should hold up fine with some good fuel management.