PDA

View Full Version : Custom cams?

spetz
09-07-2005, 03:00 AM
How hard/easy is it to figure out what spec cams to put into an engine?

I can get some new blank cams and wondering if there is some formula to see what to put by taking the cfm of intake and out take from modded intake, heads, exhaust etc and comparing this to standard figures and cams?

wynode
09-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Wtf??

z3lda
09-07-2005, 11:55 AM
spetz....do you even what camshafts are?

[stealth]
09-07-2005, 11:55 AM
hahahaha... we've got a losty!

spetz
10-07-2005, 02:47 AM
Yes actually I do know what cams are

The question was pretty simple...
But i'll rephrase for anyone who is having difficulties understanding.

If for example I do bigger plenum, throttle body, intake manfifold, ported heads, extractors exhaust, ecu etc, and from those mods I can increase airflow by say 30%, what spec cams would be the best? ie is there a formula from this to calculate (taking info from standard airflow and standard cam profile) if it's possible to calculate what is the best profile for some aftermarket cams seeing as blank billet cams are available for my engine.
ie if there is 10mm lift how much lift should it be now and what duration etc?

e240
10-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Its a valid question. Basically, you want to cut your own cams based on your modifications.

Truthfully, I think its very difficult and might be cheaper to just buy aftermarket. However, there are a number of CAM articles on the net. Another reference I've always found useful is "Four stroke performance tuning" by Graham Bell...

Alternatively, you might be able to find cam specs close to what you want from existing manufacturers and work off them. I know a guy (in sydney) who actually designs his own cam specs and is pretty successful in this industry, unfortunately, I've only know him to cut them for Ducati SBK Desmoquattro engine. (http://www.epicycles.com.au)

ALLMTR
10-07-2005, 10:08 AM
To be honest, your mods wont be anything that hasnt been done before so I doubt it would be worth doing one off cams. If it is B/D/H/K series your wasting your time. If you are doing a motor that hasnt been done before, go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MR-VTEC
11-07-2005, 11:21 AM
The reason he may be looking into this option is because he is running an fto engine in his lancer and there is virtually no aftermarket support for that particular engine.

SINISTR
11-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi Spatz...
I think you might be looking at the actual CamShaft mod backwards.

I know where you're comming from... However normally : a modifier selects a given cam profile - chooses a stage 1,2 or 3 or whatever comes from a Camshaft manufacturer and then makes the necessary mods to the rest of the engine to work best with the Camshafts - intake, header, Ecu, throttle body or turbo - what ever...

Do you know what I mean?

SINISTR
11-07-2005, 02:16 PM
To be honest, your mods wont be anything that hasnt been done before so I doubt it would be worth doing one off cams. If it is B/D/H/K series your wasting your time. If you are doing a motor that hasnt been done before, go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe - what makes you think he wants to be 'different'? and exactly what motor would you suggest he puts into his car to be 'different' if all of the motors you have listed have been done...

No pun intended mate but i don't find your post usefull!

wynode
12-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Exactly what I was thinking.

spetz
12-07-2005, 02:32 AM
yes it's an FTO MIVEC engine.
There is a very limited amount of aftermarket for them.
But none of it can actually give me some hard evidence of what gains I would get.

At this stage I can get RPW cams, UAS reground cams, apparently HKS at some stage made some cams and RalliArt has made some cams but not sure if for the MIVEC models or not.

wynode
12-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Prob should have told us it was for a MIVEC engine first.

spetz
13-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Well you know... I didn't want you guys getting jealous :)