PDA

View Full Version : ABS not working, any ideas?

bungsai
09-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Hey i have a 1999 Vtir

I just noticed that the abs isnt working, and there is no abs light lit up when i start the car.

I went to some gravelly area and slammed the brakes and just skidded...

any ideas as to what the problem may be?

cheers

matt

ECU-MAN
10-07-2005, 01:33 PM
the abs ecu could be faulty, or the ABS fuses could be blown.
start by checking ABS fuses in the engine bay and then check the ECU for fault codes.

EfiOz
10-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Did it ever stop properly on gravel?

The fastest way to stop is by partially locking the wheels. A lot of imported cars (especially European) struggle with gravel road stopping due to the high pulse rate the ABS works at. The local manufacturers struggled to get it right which is part of the reason why they were so late in jumping on the ABS band wagon.

bungsai
10-07-2005, 04:07 PM
did a ecu test the abs light didnt even come on, and it doesnt come on when i start the car...

i checked under the abs fuses and it is missing the relay, so i need to go and pick one up...anyone know which one is the right relay?

ECU-MAN
10-07-2005, 09:50 PM
the relay that your local Honda dealer recommends.
dont try sticking just anything in there, get the right one. also make sure the rest of your ABS system is there. sounds like its been disables for some reson

vtek
10-07-2005, 10:01 PM
why dont you try it on normal asphalt does the brake pulsate? i spun a AU falcon (POS) on gravel and it had abs still skidded.

fongyfong
10-07-2005, 11:43 PM
wat does abs acutally do?

snowman95
11-07-2005, 09:51 AM
prevents brake lockup which inturn prevents skidding of tyres.

CTR Coupe
12-07-2005, 12:28 AM
prevents brake lockup which inturn prevents skidding of tyres.

I think he was looking for a more technical explanation.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/anti-lock-brake.htm