PDA

View Full Version : DIY CAI...the real deal!!!!!

LatinoHatchCrap
08-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Too bad the other thread was locked because im very inetrested to hear the DIY CAI setups that people have made. IMO its not good enough to say something is useless or whatever unless you can prove what you're saying.
So comeon!!!! where are these DIY CAIs?????

Rowie
08-02-2004, 01:22 PM
I have a DYI!

This was my choice because I cant afford a manufactured one at this stage. Eventually I will get one.

I have just run a 65mm pipe from the bumper, flush into the side of the air box. I can tell a small difference but not necessarily in power, but noise and revs out cleaner.

VTEChnique
09-02-2004, 11:10 AM
DIY = Do it Yourself..

just use PVC pipe and bends to run from your Throttle body or just from your stock intake tube down through the hole where your resonator box etc used to be... mount an el-cheapo cone-style filter on the end behind bumper or fender... CAI !!

no different to $500 AEM version but doesnt look as good.. just spray paint it matte black and it will look fine..

MTX BOY
09-02-2004, 03:53 PM
check this site out http://www.teamdelsol.com/default.asp?jump=/technical/howto/coldAirIntake/default.asp

A'PEXi
09-02-2004, 06:37 PM
you can use the plastic piping stuff they use in ur home sinks haha

joyride
15-02-2004, 07:11 PM
check this site out http://www.teamdelsol.com/default.asp?jump=/technical/howto/coldAirIntake/default.asp

i used this exact same website to make it for my brothers EG sedan a few years back and it worked like a charm. only part i didnt copy was feeding a hose from the rocker cover to the CAI pipe. i just put a small breather/filter hanging off the rocker cover....

U-shaped MILD steel piping - $45
simota air filter - $50
silicon hoses (4) - $5 each
minor welding - $5
clamps - found lying around
K&N oil/air (breather) filter - $30?

it all cost me $150 and i did it in a day

give it a go, you'll love the result. but be advised that its a defect to have an air filter with no airbox these days..

HowlonghaveIbeendrifting?
16-02-2004, 09:19 AM
I've got a DIY job on the CAI on my accord. Basically ran a 70mm flexitube straight from the intake to the front of the car, where there is an opening in the bumper. On the end of that is a Simota pod. Had to move the radiator reserve bottle and a few other bits and pieces to get everything in place. Also made a few brackets here and there. All this in about 6 hours of labour and in a budget of $70!

I was actually very surprised to find an increase in performance (and ofcourse the amount of induction noise above 3000RPM!). The powerband kicks earlier and at even above 5500RPM, it just continues to pull. Under normal driving conditions, didn't lose any fuel economy either.

Well, that's my 2c anyway. I got pics of the setup posted in my profile.

Cheers,

- K

Redteg
16-02-2004, 02:46 PM
My CAI involved the removal of the stock intake resonator, and the moving of my drivers' side horn. Then into the bottom of the stock airbox I placed a 3" PVC tube, with a 90 degree bend on the end and another short bit of tubing.

I have noticed louder induction noise; people are very impressed; as well as a greater urge for the engine to pull at around 3000RPM. It also seems to like to pull stronger at higher revs. Lower power seems to be down a bit, maybe explaining that surge of power at 3000.

I'm sure performance increases are negligible. Next time I take my bumper off I'll put in the resonator and compare.

vuvu
16-02-2004, 10:38 PM
n00b question
wat does the resonator actually do?
is it alrite if i just rip it out and feed cold air thru a tube to the stock airbox? will i lose/gain power?
thanks

Redteg
17-02-2004, 07:43 PM
I think it does two things. Please don't quote me, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Firstly it quietens down the intake.

Secondly it, along with the entire intake system, is of a calculated volume to provide power gains at a certain rpm. It is 'tuned' if you will.

I have done quite a bit of reading on CAI's and I think they are most effective when they are drawing in cool air from a 'high pressure area' of the car. Certain locations at the front, as well as the wiper cowl have varying degrees of pressure. There's a great website from a guy who tested all this out on his Soarer, I'll try to find it.

The March 04 Motor even has a little blurb about this in relation to V8 Supercars.

vuvu
17-02-2004, 11:16 PM
i c
:shock:

well apart from the noise factor if i chucked a tube down the front then wouldn't it be better for the engine? since with the resonator in place it draws in air from the engine bay...
peace

genesis
02-03-2004, 10:06 AM
I have a custom intake setup in my civic, using a dc2r airbox with k&n pod. Improvement over standard setup is quite considerable. The car pulls alot harder in all rev range, and especially up high. I used to have a k&n panel filter in my stock airbox, but this setup is much much better.

pics here http://redlineau.com/gallery/albuo51

vuvu
02-03-2004, 11:28 PM
yeah
i read in an article in hpi or hot4's or something that the resonator actually does give more power so yeah
mite rid the CAI and put in the stock airbox.. but the civic resonator is huuuge and its a fuken bitch to get out.. and possibly in..
ah well
peace

VTEC16
03-03-2004, 01:19 AM
yeah
i read in an article in hpi or hot4's or something that the resonator actually does give more power so yeah
mite rid the CAI and put in the stock airbox.. but the civic resonator is huuuge and its a fuken bitch to get out.. and possibly in..
ah well
peace

I read that too.....one could always experiment with putting on different resonaters to their DIY CAI...

dc2r
05-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Putting a DIY Cold Air Feed (not CAI) will supposedly gain you top end and you will lose bottom end power. For all those that know Robert at Hanny's Performance, I asked him what he thought about a cold air feed because I wanted to put one on... His answer was that "it is rubbish" :D

But your car, so you do what you want :)