PDA

View Full Version : Falken azenis ST-115 or Ziex ZE-512?

BlakTegra
08-02-2004, 03:54 PM
I'm deciding one which ones to get for my DC2 Integra vti-r. These tyres will be fitted to my FRONT STOCK RIMS ONLY.

Tire spec: 195/55/R15 84V

Falken azenis ST-115 (http://www.falkentire.com/tires/st115_infopg.htm)
Ultra high performance
*Base tread compound contains micro vacuum capsules that literally suck up road noise and provide high stiffness for excellent handling stability.
*Wide circumferential grooves and unidirectional tread design provide excellent wet-weather performance.
*Excellent endurance and durability, high heat resistance.

Falken ziex ZE-512 (http://www.falkentire.com/tires/512_infopg.htm)
All season performance
*Uni-directional tread design and circumferential grooves for superior wet weather handling
*Smooth, quiet, comfortable ride
*Improved rim protection ridge protects expensive custom wheels
*New multi-radius profile increases contact pressure and low profile styling

Any input is appreciated :)

Tofu
08-02-2004, 05:03 PM
i've been looking at getting tyres for my car too..
and unless you are worried about how much each rubber cost, then i would suggest Falken GRB FK451

the other two are more for durability, this one is for performance

so if you want my opinion out of those two choices, i would go ST-115

but in the end, i wouldn't go Falken....check out Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 or Yokohama AVS Sport

;)

BlakTegra
08-02-2004, 09:09 PM
what tires are you tossing up between for you car, Tofu?

I choose Falkens cuz of its attractive price and good reviews.
I'm also leaning towards the ST-115....

How much are the GY Eagle F1 GS-D3's? They have the best rating so far by customer reviewers.

Tofu
08-02-2004, 10:44 PM
i'm tossing up between Eagle F1 GS-D3 and Yokohama AVS Sport (V102)
both tyres are $240 for 205/55R16

another one is Bridgstone S03 in the same size, they are hella expensive, but i'm waiting for some connections to come through.. :) with a price of $198 each

i don't know why, but personally i just don't like Falken for some reason...
unless i can be shown/convinced otherwise... :?:

A'PEXi
09-02-2004, 06:38 PM
well seems like youve got some stats... unless your going track racing etc... the ziex should be fine, they come a bit cheaper as well....

Spunkymonkey
09-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Don't buy Ziex. believe me I used to have ziex 502's and they absolutely sucked on the teg. I mean sure they last a long time, but if you want to have absolutely no grip on any road that has a slight bit of water on it..not to mention aquaplaning. They are ok on hatches but not very good on the teg believe me.

The FK451's are apparently supposed to be in the same type performance bracket as the dunlop fm901's (replacement for the GRB series) ...although I decided to stick with the dunlops as I'm really happy with them.

If you want falkens I would choose the FK451's. Did you perhaps consider the toyo ts1 proxes at all?

the dunlop fm901's might be a bit pricey for your liking...but I love them.

BlakTegra
10-02-2004, 12:34 AM
I just want a high performance tire thats grips, responsive, and dead quiet. Might be getting bigger alloy wheels in future so dun wanna waste too much money. Otherwise, I would've opted for the Eage F1 GS-D3 or similar.

So none used the Falken ST-115 yet? Think the ST-115 (top of the range performance tyre) is replacing the FK451's. I'm gonna bite the bullet and be the first in this forum to try em. I've read some online reviews on them and they seem to be an excellent performance tyre.

They say the ziex's side walls are too soft therefore crap going fast around corners.

mpd076-chuck
10-02-2004, 04:41 AM
ST-115 are good but when they get old they get hard and slippery. By old I mean over 10,000km's. I have run both and preferred the ST-115 initally but the FK451 seemed to go off less as it got older and was also better in then wet. The ZIEX 502 are OK in dry but terrible in the wet. You should be happy with ST-115. :thumbsup:

Spunkymonkey
10-02-2004, 12:54 PM
[quote="BlakTegra"]

So none used the Falken ST-115 yet? Think the ST-115 (top of the range performance tyre) is replacing the FK451's. I'm gonna bite the bullet and be the first in this forum to try em. I've read some online reviews on them and they seem to be an excellent performance tyre.

quote]

Ziex ok for small cars not too good for medium to large cars.

ST-115's aren't replacement for FK451's. They are in a different category. They are falken's lower model Azenis for street driving. I have a friend who had them on his 3sgte powered rola and he made similar comments that chuck did.

BlakTegra
11-02-2004, 11:06 AM
I went to the tire place and they didn't have the Falken ST-115's or the FK-451's in stock to they recommened me something better - Bridgestone Potenza GIII (http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/products/car/treads/gIII.asp). They are pretty good with heaps of grip!

Tofu
11-02-2004, 05:18 PM
so you went with Bridgestone Grid 3s?
hope ya like them
just be careful at the track

BlakTegra
12-02-2004, 12:04 AM
What about you Tofu? Still deciding? Still waiting for ur connections? heheheeh

Tofu
12-02-2004, 09:24 AM
nup...i got Yokohama AVS V102