View Full Version : intake pipe

waymad
11-07-2005, 06:38 PM
would this intake pipe do anything for performance its for honda civic
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/waymad/pipe.bmp

NTR16N
11-07-2005, 07:34 PM
what intake are you talkin about??

im sure an intake will do something for you... just depends on which one and how it is done...

joyride
12-07-2005, 07:55 AM
is it only me or is there a red x? i dont think you can post pics through hotmail and onto a forum...

waymad
12-07-2005, 07:14 PM
i dont know what brand it is it just looks like some pipe they made and they have chrome it for looks would it be better than standerd rubber pipe as this metal pipe will be bigger but would absobe heat making intake tem to go up

joyride
13-07-2005, 08:10 AM
the air filter and intake pipe both would give you a bit more power then OEM. just make sure the filter isnt sucking in hot air.

btw grammar is your friend. a dot here and there would help. lol

supersamEK
14-07-2005, 07:28 PM
although, the power increase from better flowing pipe may be outweighed by it heating up much easier, as is metal which is a better thermal conductor than plastic, which means intake temp. will be higher resulting in lower power output..my 2 cents

CIVIX
19-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Maybe you could thermal wrap the pipe to help prevent the pipe heat up or use some kind of heat resistant paint....Although I don't think that the effect of the pipe heating up would make that much of a difference, to cause you to loose power...

egSi
20-07-2005, 07:28 AM
looks like a simota pipe judging by the yellow bits it comes with.

id should give a gain mate, if u want do it right, build a heatsheild/airbox for the pod and also come CAI piping and if u really want, paint the pipe with some heat resistant paint or wrap in some thermotec wrap, not pretty but pretty damn effective :thumbsup:

joyride
20-07-2005, 07:35 AM
use ceramic paint.

h22a accord
20-07-2005, 08:52 AM
nice avatar joyride!

Fattony
20-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Hook up a manometer to your intake after the filter and also near the t body. and measure the pressure drop through the std pipe then do the same with this new inlet and that would give you an indication on weather the stock intake is restrictive and if the new pipe is any better.

h22a accord
20-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Whats a manometer?

ekslut
20-07-2005, 10:37 AM
personally I like the stock pipe. I had something like that on my accord and it used to heat up heaps. After that I have only used OEM, and will only use OEM, unless its part of something like a J's intake.

CIVIX
20-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Hey sorry if i'm hijacking the thread. But i recently bought an AEM Short Ram Intake and it doesn't have a hole to plug the air sensor into. Is this really important any way?

toni
26-07-2005, 08:56 PM
fattony, what are the results of your nanometer testing? is the stock airbox restrictive?

Fattony
31-07-2005, 04:28 AM
h22a Accord:
Manometer is a fluid column that measures the pressure differences. Imagine a big ruler with a tube of dyed water. You would place one end of the tube in a desired part of the inlet and measure in cm inches ect the amount that the water travels up the manometer. This will then give you a measurement to calculate pressure drop (psi) across an item and dedudct that from atmospheric pressure. Then you can judge the restrictive parts of your inlet.
Though a water manometer is never to on a part of an inlet after a turbocharger.

toni :
Ive never taken a manometer to my dc2, the intake restrictive parts are easy enough to spot, and any changes i have made to my inlet have been proven but performance testing. Airboxes arnt genrelly restrictive parts, its usually the crap before them and the crap after them. They are actaully a very good way of keeping heat out of the inlet.
Though a big restrictive part of a DC2's stock intake, its not that intake pipe from the t body to the box, its big stupid chambered resonator box honda put in the front guard where the airfilter sucks its air in from, and the air that goes into that resonator box is drawn from a hole in the guard panel in from the engine bay.
Though yes a smooth intake pipe would make a better flowing pipe than the ribbed honda rubber plastic item and yes would be more heat conductive, but have you ever felt the heat that the inlet manifold reaches due to conduction from the motor or considered the fact that your charge air is also being heated via the fact honda use a coolant from the motor passing through the throttle body to give better fuel vaporisation. So i dont think that the heat from that metal pipe would be conducting poses a problem, some thought into keeping it out of there would be a good idea though. I think that the bigest problem that you would face is that you are then just going to be drawing hot air into the inlet due to the fact that you would have a filter sitting in the engine bay if using an item shown in the pic. AEM cold air intake pipes place the filter right down low and away from engine bay heat, have been tested on dynos and the results are available on the net whereas your simota item ect dont even mention these crutial testing procedures. Before replacing that intake pipe between the t body and the box i would be sorting out all the crap thats before the airbox if the civic is anything like a integra.

THE_MASS
02-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Hey sorry if i'm hijacking the thread. But i recently bought an AEM Short Ram Intake and it doesn't have a hole to plug the air sensor into. Is this really important any way?

that doesnt do much any way. youve got nothing to worry about. a mate of mine just bought a pipe and didnt have the hole to plug in the air sensor so it should ok...

back on topic. i bought a very similar pipe but for Dc2 and got gains over the stock box. definatley deeper sounding:D:D and better top end, which is what i think its intended for. but yeah.. my 2 cents worth ;)

buneyha
02-08-2005, 11:58 PM
I just bought one of those a few days ago, except I only got a pipe and filter and nothing else. lol

now I'm in the process of thinking. "do I really need to drill into my car?" hehe
anyone got alternative of installing this thing?

h22a accord
03-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks fattony! I used to have a full 2 piece 3" CAI induction pipe on my h22a but i replaced the top half with the OEM intake pipe and am still using the lower half of the CAI from the Opening of the OEM pipe running down through the hole in the engine bay where the OEM tank resonator thing was once upon a time.

I found the OEM pipe gave the vehicle better midrange and it doesnt look too fancy for cops to see and ask questions/defect.

j0nbubz
09-08-2005, 01:07 AM
i haev an SRI, im looking at painting or wrappign the piping up to reduce its proneness to heating up..

what would i do for this?

siba
22-08-2005, 10:05 PM
hey mani have a simota piping and a k&n filter, took out the whole stock intake system and man does the car go alot faster, and yer a deeper sound wich is awesome.
the piping doesnt seem 2 heat up 2 much really so i think its a good idea to use the piping but hey this is my opinion its up 2 u!

joyride
23-08-2005, 07:52 AM
i haev an SRI, im looking at painting or wrappign the piping up to reduce its proneness to heating up..
what would i do for this?
spray the SRI with ceramic paint, inside and out. it may help but like the guy above me said, it wont heat up too much anyways.