PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

EGB16A
12-07-2005, 10:35 AM
I searched stopper head gaskets to find out the difference between that and a normal gasket but with not much luck. Can someone explain the differnce? And in the high budget area of that turbo bang for your buck thread it recomends the use of a stopper style gasket, and i've searched to see what is available but there is afew thicknesses. Which is better, thicker or thinner?

BLKCRX
12-07-2005, 12:32 PM
I use a custom Cometic gaskets if that helps ;-)

Regards James

tinkerbell
12-07-2005, 01:17 PM
http://www.todaracing.com.au/assets/civic_highstopper_section_sm.jpg

With ever improving tuning technology, the pressure increases found in the combustion chamber can become a problem. Improved gas sealing is a high priority when increasing the power output of any engine.
Pressed steel type. The sealing system is made of two sections, a ring and bead, forming a strong seal.

http://www.todaracing.com.au/html/body_products_honda_civic.html

tinkerbell
12-07-2005, 01:19 PM
I use a custom cosmetic gaskets if that helps ;-)

Regards James

and i hope you mean Cometic, lol!!!

http://www.cometic.com/

BLKCRX
12-07-2005, 01:54 PM
yes ..

EGB16A
12-07-2005, 02:04 PM
thanks guys, but would a thinner or thicker be more advisable?

BLKCRX
17-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Very much depends on your setup / your aim / how much boost / what fuel / what compression ....

EGB16A
17-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Very much depends on your setup / your aim / how much boost / what fuel / what compression ....

aim= 250+wkw
boost= about 15psi give or take (should be enough to achieve my aim)
fuel= pulp (optimax)
compression= fairly high

i hope i'm not asking to much!! :D

tinkerbell
17-07-2005, 05:40 PM
high compression + boost is probably not an ideal area to be raising/lowering compression for the sake of it.

in such a situation, and BLKCRX will hoepfully agree, a better sealing HG would be what to look for over higher CR...

i know James was/is running much higher boost than you intend, but he might be able to indicate when a custom HG is required...

also IMO thicker headgaskets can cause more problems than they solve,

basically - your pistons will determine compression ratio, the HG is only there to keep it all sealed and tight ;)

TODA AU
17-07-2005, 09:14 PM
I use 0.6mm on most turbo applications & adjust compression in the chamber & with pistons.

ProECU
17-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Head gasket thickness should be chosen according to optimise piston quench pad to cylinder quench pad distance.

Cometic gaskets are the best

TODA AU
18-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Cometic gaskets are the best

LOL.... I call BULLSHIT!

They are cheap & nasty. Certainly not exellent.
The only place I would ever use a cometic head gasket is on a B20~B16 conversion.
Only because nothing else is available.
Not in a million years would I ever use one by choice.
They are over rated & certainly no better than stock.
Some are bordering on absolute crap (SR20) with an aluminium centre shim.

ProECU
18-07-2005, 09:24 AM
each to their own.
I suppose you recommend TODA.

tinkerbell
18-07-2005, 10:32 AM
They are cheap & nasty. Certainly not exellent.
The only place I would ever use a cometic head gasket is on a B20~B16 conversion.

LOL!

yeah, the only reason i am using one in my engine re-build is due to the fact that i think i can get one cheaper than OEM, LOL!

TODA AU
18-07-2005, 02:42 PM
each to their own.
I suppose you recommend TODA.

Touche... :p
You're right, each to their own & I do recommend TODA where a suitable gasket is available.
In some cases where the gasket is used to reduce compression, OS Giken or HKS is my choice.
SR20's & RB26's, I use Tomei.
Spoon & Mugen gaskets also have their place, though care must be taken to ensure correct valve clearence with larger camshafts.

BLKCRX
19-07-2005, 10:40 PM
high compression + boost is probably not an ideal area to be raising/lowering compression for the sake of it.

in such a situation, and BLKCRX will hoepfully agree, a better sealing HG would be what to look for over higher CR...

i know James was/is running much higher boost than you intend, but he might be able to indicate when a custom HG is required...

also IMO thicker headgaskets can cause more problems than they solve,

basically - your pistons will determine compression ratio, the HG is only there to keep it all sealed and tight ;)

Yep 100000% agree compression is made up from the physical engine / piston / head combination, I use 0.030" thickness MLS Head gaskets.

Regards James

pgclee
20-07-2005, 04:36 AM
Just use an OEM gasket and take out a layer...HAhaha..there you go..higher compression...

crx_boy7
07-08-2005, 12:07 AM
if u took a layer out wouldnt this resault in damage an prehaps a blown gasket and damaged block?
so wat ur saying is oem that is original honda gaskets are alot beter in qualiti to most others? or wich would u recomend if stopper types r junk and copper dosent seal right im totaly confused?????

TODA AU
07-08-2005, 10:49 AM
if u took a layer out wouldnt this resault in damage an prehaps a blown gasket and damaged block?
so wat ur saying is oem that is original honda gaskets are alot beter in qualiti to most others? or wich would u recomend if stopper types r junk and copper dosent seal right im totaly confused?????

The OEM gasket is good, but better gaskets are available.
The "Stopper type" gasket is by far the best.
Copper gaskets are only used only by fools.

**Ghost**
05-09-2005, 05:13 PM
i'm going to resurrect an old thread here... on a b16a is there a point in a high comp gasket if it aint goign to get tuned and on OEM cams? waste of money?

tinkerbell
05-09-2005, 07:39 PM
makes sense if you are removing the head for some reason, but not otherwise...

EGB16A
05-09-2005, 07:45 PM
i was going to resurect this thread too....wondering if the 2.6mm (HKS item i think) gasket is worth it for a turbo setup on stock internals... the idea is to drop the compression and run more boost i assume. But wouldn't it be about the same to leave the standard gasket and run a bit less boost?

is my net mechanics theory correct or am i going down the wrong path?

**Ghost**
05-09-2005, 09:41 PM
thanks tinker... :)

does it provide ne gians over a OEM one tho?

well i'm chanign cos its due for a change and i dont wanna wait till i get cum colored liquid in my engine oil

tinkerbell
05-09-2005, 11:10 PM
well, the OEM HG is about 0.7mm so, for example, the Toda one (0.6mm) would raise compression on a stock B16A by about 0.1 points...

further, the Spoon one (0.45mm) would raise compression on a stock B16A by about 0.3 points

which you *could* be able to measure on a dyno, but not sure...

i would suggest that you probably wouldn't be able to really feel it (butt dyno)

(although some peoples 'butt dyno' operates on the weight removed from rear pocket, rather than level of g-force registered)

um, also - head gasket is not really a 'service' item...

but to each, their own :)

EGB16A - use a fat head gaskets at your peril!

pls see post #9 above ^
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=361809&postcount=9

**Ghost**
06-09-2005, 12:02 AM
(although some peoples 'butt dyno' operates on the weight removed from rear pocket, rather than level of g-force registered)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=361809&postcount=9

AHHAHAHA iso agree.... HKS circle grounding kits neone? placebo effect kicks ass

i dunno i always thought u were meant to replace the headgasket BEFORE it blows/leaks? is this true?

tinkerbell
06-09-2005, 09:45 AM
i dunno i always thought u were meant to replace the headgasket BEFORE it blows/leaks? is this true?

no, it is not.

TODA AU
06-09-2005, 09:15 PM
i was going to resurect this thread too....wondering if the 2.6mm (HKS item i think) gasket is worth it for a turbo setup on stock internals... the idea is to drop the compression and run more boost i assume. But wouldn't it be about the same to leave the standard gasket and run a bit less boost?

is my net mechanics theory correct or am i going down the wrong path?
Though it's not ideal, it does work & it works very well.
It can be used to reliably boost a stock bottom end B16A to 215kw @ the wheels.
(Dynodynamics, shoot4F)
You'll need about 15~16psi to do the job.
See bang for bucks - turbo post.

EGB16A
06-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Though it's not ideal, it does work & it works very well.
It can be used to reliably boost a stock bottom end B16A to 215kw @ the wheels.
(Dynodynamics, shoot4F)
You'll need about 15~16psi to do the job.
See bang for bucks - turbo post.

what is ideal ie. on stock bottom end? or is there no such thing.... meaning the only ideal alternative is to rebuild the bottom end?

secondly, can someone explain to me y copper headgaskets are no good? I've always believed they were the stronger (better) alternative up until recently

saxman
07-09-2005, 03:11 AM
there have been some very good posts on here about why not to use a thicker headgasket to lower compression ratio