PDA

View Full Version : Professional installation

Bol
08-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Just say i bought all my equiptment from Strathfield (or equilelant) Head unit, speakers, sub and amp. How much do you think they would charge to install everything, just roughly.

And is it easy enough to learn yourself, or should you get a pro?

XXpl0Sive
08-02-2004, 07:11 PM
100-150 depending on the specific car.

It's quite easy to learn yourself, you'll need to have the correct tools though.

Rowie
08-02-2004, 08:00 PM
round up a couple of your mates that know how to install a head unit, shout them beers for the day, and you will have it done in no time and you will learn.

Just about everything you need to know to install is in the manuals that come with the equipement. Plus, 3 heads are better than 1. Or even 2 for that matter :D

madgrk
08-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Where about are you man? A few of us Vic boys will come give ya a hand (assuming you dont live in bonnie doon or somewhere as far as that lol) :D

Bol
08-02-2004, 08:19 PM
thanks for the offer madgrk, but im from NSW.

I'm just speculation at the moment, i don't have a car for starters! Sounds as though i should work it out wih manuals and friends. Thanks.

madgrk
08-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Yeah it isnt too hard dude, regardless of what make/model of car you will get etc. If your mates have a test light or a multimeter lying around, then you can easily do the main wiring (power etc). Then just run your RCA's to the back and plug them in accordingly. If ya get stuck, its always best to let someone that knows in case you accidently ruin your new system :)

Bol
08-02-2004, 10:12 PM
If there's already a cd/casette in the car do i still have to wire for the power or will existing wiring be good enough?

toE
08-02-2004, 10:52 PM
existing wires should do it.

oderwise, pm Fhrx (his nick) on this forum and he'll be able to help you out.

good luck.

Fhrx
09-02-2004, 06:46 AM
100-150 depending on the specific car.

You serious XXplo5ive? With all due respect champ, there is something to be said about cheap installs; they're exactly that.

The industry rate is $60.50 per hour. That install would take a day. Any serious shop that is proud of their work will charge you between $454 - $650 to do that. You would be looking at $285 worth of Stinger cable to alone start with.

Sorry guys, but we stand by our work and not a day goes by where there is not some bloke in our shop who is the victim of one of the $100 installs.... there is a BIG difference in installation quality.

P.S., This is by no way suggestive towards XXplo5ive. I just don't like to see cheap work. :(

euro77
09-02-2004, 07:00 AM
If you are talking about the whole installation (head unit, speakers, sub & the boxes, amps, cabling, etc.) then 100-150 sounds really cheap :D
Unless you are talking about doing it all by yourself then maybe it's possible :roll:

But like Marty said, stinger cables alone is already $285... and trust me, you wouldn't want dodgy cables running your audio setup.

BTW... what are the equipments bought?

Fhrx
09-02-2004, 10:49 AM
I just thought I might clarify that when I say cable I mean:

Power cable
Earth cable
Speaker cable
Fuse
Fuse holder
RCA's
terminals

Etc...

Like Euro said, what are the components champ? :D

LUD02C
09-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Go to a PRO buddy!
I will admit when i first got a quote from Marty i was like SHIT, I can get it done cheaper!
Then Marty let me listen to cars he has put systems in and i didn't look back...

He was put 2 different setup's in my car, plus all wiring and sound deadening!
Trust me, go to marty and you will be more then happy for what he can do with your car!

Jason

poid
09-02-2004, 11:35 AM
just a hint, buying equipment from Strathfield is fine, but please dont get them to do the install. I have seen some shockers come out of there.

Either do it yourself with some mates (not all that difficult to wire everything up) or get a decent installer to do it.

XXpl0Sive
09-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Sorry I got mine done at rates mates, but even still when I first got it installed at Lifestyles it cost $150 for head unit, splits, tweeters, amp + sub. If you want to know what I think about them, PM me, don't want to get sued for defamation or anything ;)

Fhrx
09-02-2004, 01:21 PM
When it comes to quality installs, remember you're also paying for the experience to avoid potential disasters down the track. This includes electrical, interfierance, physical and sonically.

Just screwing everything in is only half the install. Getting the sound to reproduce cleanly, on center and equalled is not so easy. :(

poid
09-02-2004, 01:26 PM
haha lets just say a lifestyle store employee got 117dB at final battle dB Drag competition (out of a pair of 15" Rockford subs). I think he backed it up with 119dB so it wasnt a false reading or anything.

Now that doesnt necessarily reflect the stores work, but he is an installer there...

JohnnyBoy
09-02-2004, 03:07 PM
i wasn't happy at all with Lifestyle store's install job on my setup.

Those bloody cowboys stuffed up my back seat.

Asked them to mount an amp onto the back of the rear seats. They screwed the amp into the wrong spot, and the screws ended up puncturing the leather in the little arm rest thing the folds out in the middle rear seat.

bloody pissed. to make it worse, i only noticed it like 6 mth after the install, cause i never have anyone in the back seats.

I ended up moving the amp myself.

Now there's 2 screw holes from where screws used to be protruding, and 2 holes in the leather arm rest thing.

:(