PDA

View Full Version : modifying rails or custom

izzy
12-07-2005, 01:11 PM
hey guys, deciding whether to modify rails @ mechanics to install bucket seats or hasving custom rails done/
which one is safer?

joyride
12-07-2005, 02:14 PM
you'd have to check with an engineer.
i thought it was legal to weld/customise seat rails but other members have said its not legal and its not safe..
your mechanic may say its ok but he could be trying to make a quick buck from you however.

UW15HN
13-07-2005, 12:49 PM
hey guys, deciding whether to modify rails @ mechanics to install bucket seats or hasving custom rails done/
which one is safer?

hey mate

if your fitting seats that are an optional extra for your vehicle, you'll need an engineering certificate

if a seat is incorrectly fitted the potential for it to dislodge in the event of a crash would be increased. Also if you fit a new seat and it ends up too high or low, it would compromise the driving position for the car.

it would be best to get the mechanic to install the seat and then get an engineer certificate for it, then tell your insurance company (as it will affect your policy)

hope that helps

Eclipsor
15-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Bumping this topic up again because I have just been given a seat for my 21st :) A nice black leather Autotechnica one. Anyway, just wondering what sort of a place can install and give a certificate? Just any certified mechanic? Or are there car engineering places... I dunno. Any specific places in Brisbane people have used? What did you end up doing izzy?

joonix
15-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Bumping this topic up again because I have just been given a seat for my 21st :) A nice black leather Autotechnica one. Anyway, just wondering what sort of a place can install and give a certificate? Just any certified mechanic? Or are there car engineering places... I dunno. Any specific places in Brisbane people have used? What did you end up doing izzy?

It must be overseen by a certified engineer, not just any mechanic.

Street Machine has a list on their website:

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Tig/Minisite/Minisite.aspx?alias=carpointau&id=6659

On a side note, I would be very suspicious of modified rails. I highly doubt that any engineer would pass them. Do the job properly, and have some custom ones fabricated.

Eclipsor
16-09-2005, 12:20 AM
So would those places install it as well? Or would I get them installed at a mechanic then take it to them to get checked. I guess it would depend on the place. Thanks joonix

joonix
16-09-2005, 12:43 AM
I guess it would depend on the place.

You said it :)

Note that a mechanic will generally not be equiped to fabricate custom rails (not allways though). A metal fabricator will have to make them.

Give some of those engineers a call. It's a very common job, and I'm sure they have dealed with many simmilar situations in the past. They will be able to point you to a shop if they do not offer fabrication services directly.

**Ghost**
16-09-2005, 02:49 AM
joonix is right... owners of old old odl school cars get jobs to fit aftermarket seats alot... pretty much one of the most common things ppl engineer

just a side note... from my mate's experience its a lot more expensive apparently to get seats engineered if u got an airbag... cos apparently the engineer has to measure out the inflating distance and height of driver/passenger according to the specs of the airbag

Eclipsor
16-09-2005, 10:25 AM
that won't be an issue then :)

crazyray
22-11-2005, 11:03 AM
will this apply to a 4 door car as well??

Eclipsor
22-11-2005, 07:52 PM
will this apply to a 4 door car as well??

which part? Mine is a 4 door accord. I ended up getting it done. Called up a few engineers that were recommended by other engineers that didn't want to do the job. Eventually got one that had his business next to a 4wd fabrication shop. They did alot of work together so basicaly new what the engineer wanted. They welded some bits onto the universal rails I got with the seat.

Sitwy
22-11-2005, 11:11 PM
so how much roughly to just get a cert. alone?

Eclipsor
23-11-2005, 12:06 AM
I paid $150. Not real sure how good this is. Only other place that said they'd do it quoted about $800 for modding the rails and giving a mod plate.