PDA

View Full Version : Alarm installation places in Melb??

preludacris
14-07-2005, 03:25 AM
ey
wasnt really sure where to post this but yeah, Im wondering if any of you ppl could recomend some good places to install a viper around Melbourne area.

i've already got the alarm, just need it to be installed..

are places like gary's car audio and autobarn any good?

any help would be really great

thx

SiR JDM
14-07-2005, 08:56 AM
When i bought my Viper i got it installed by a freelance guy that autobarn (the chadstone one if ur in melb) recommended and gave me his card. He was good... well he knew wat he was doing.. no mucking around.. nice guy .. got it done properly and never had a prob with it... so i asumed it was good ahah never had an alarm installed before or after so yea my only experience! =]

quangsta
14-07-2005, 09:15 AM
i got mine done by friend from j-bi hifi in morrabin if it isnt in morrabin then the one closest to sthland but yerr...his not bad havent had a problem either..cant remember prices but pretty competitive....from past experience, which was only once before but i would advise u not to get one of those car alarm guyz from local papers or the trading-post to come to ur house and do it cause there a lil dodgy..got them to look at my dads car and he had to come twice, first time came to fix the remote(which he couldnt), stuffed up the alarm so couldnt could start the car, second time tried agen to fixed it but eventually gave up and just shutoff the alarm so we took it to j-bi hifi and friend fixed it up whilst we were there for about 45mins....just had to reset the remote or something like that....

cheers

ACTI0NMAN-1
14-07-2005, 11:31 AM
I had Autobarn Sunshine (vic) install my alarm 2 years ago. Who ever installed it only connected the alarm to 1 side of the indicators, and didnt connect it propperly to the keyless entry so it only unlocks automaticly about 30% of the time. Not only that but if the inside curtesy light is off the the alarm wont activate with a door breach.

bungsai
14-07-2005, 01:38 PM
garys car audio are good, also try freeway car audio on malvern road....they did an awesome job with my last viper alarm.

aozora
14-07-2005, 08:12 PM
If you're serious about your security, a hack monkey from autobarn who does it in an hour or two isn't going to get you anywhere.
An alarm is only as good as it's install. So if you mount the alarm right under the steering column... you don't have far to look if you wanted to steal the car... ask alot of questions about where it's being installed, how the wires are joint... the color of the wiring... etc etc. Most places will just connect it all up and that's it... especially with alot of the crap security systems that have colored wiring and only one immobilisor point (Viper 791XV is a fine example), your car isn't safe at all despite all the "fully sick" features it has. An ideal install in my opinion is removing the whole dash and blending the alarm's wires in with the loom, wiring the immobilisor (preferably 3 points, and no, relays don't do squat) up, testing it all then replacing the dash while putting the main alarm unit a place you can't get to easily :)
But at the end of the day, if they want it... they'll get it, on the back of a tow truck or whatever, the best security is to deter them as much as possible. I only know one guy who does decent installs but he's booked out for a long time :p

preludacris
14-07-2005, 09:37 PM
hmm

well i was getting the 791xv... i thought that was a pretty good alarm. Hmmm well. I mite try freeway car audio on malvern road.

Unless aozora u can get me in contact with ur guy.

What alarm would u guys recommend over the viper 791 around the same price range anyway??

thx

bungsai
15-07-2005, 01:08 AM
the 791 xv you can get online for like $350 bucks, and freeway car audio install for about 200, and it takes half a day - i watched - these guys are thorough - get extra immobilisation points put in, and yes since its coloured wiring get it blended with the wiring looms if you can. Freeway win hands down for me - very professional great job reasonable prices.

you can get a viper 700 esp or something i had that in my old car - all black wiring awesome alarm, but insurance approved and all that jazz. imho if you get the 791xv no one is going to be stealing your car very quickly, as long as it is hooked up properly - 30% alarm 70% install

all the best

matt

aozora
15-07-2005, 04:28 AM
He isn't cheap though... I think he quoted me $400-500 to do an install? And that's with a car he knows... might take longer with others. If you're still interested, I'll PM his contact details... lol I only know him off a forum actually but he definately knows what he's doing.

The 791XV has been picked up by alot of people... Freeway didn't really like installing ones off ebay or whatever because if there are any problems with it, the parts are hard to get or something (The spare remotes they sell supposedly use a different frequency to the ones sold on ebay etc). That aside, extra immobilisation points are simply relays. Disable one, you disable to rest, there's no point. The 791XV actually has optional black wiring... so if you must use that alarm, I'd recommend getting that. Unless Freeway took apart your whole dash and put the immobilisation point somewhere really obscure (ie. not under the steering column -_-;), then I'd probably recommend them too... but for $200 I don't see it being too much better, but generally Freeway do some good work audio wise.
Better yet... get the 700ESP, but even then that isn't insurance approved as it doesn't have automatic rearming (Tower Car Audio I think confirmed it for me?). But it's true, alot goes to install.

With a 791XV depending on where it's installed, it's just a matter of smashing the battery back up siren (the 791XV doesn't even come with battery back up standard, that's another thing I'd look into) and since most thieves don't care about your interior, it won't take too long if the immobilisation points are wired up in clear view afterwards, even easier if you have "extra immobilisation" points :)

So I stress again if you must have the alarm, don't get any old "I can do it for $50 lah/bro/mang" guy to install it :p I really am paranoid about all this because the last thing I want is thieves to get away with my pride and joy... insurance or not.
Good luck... ask alot of questions about how they install it, where etc, pay the bit extra if they need it and you shouldn't have too many problems :) If you can wait until the end of the year I might be able to do it after I get some more experience under my belt, but no guarantees :p

aozora
15-07-2005, 04:34 AM
Oh and for around the same price range, as long as you don't care for the "look at this bro" features of the 791XV, there's alot out there. Anything with black wiring, 3 points immobilisation etc will generally be decent but expect to pay around $400+. Pager alarms for some reason ALL have one immobilisation point, I think it's to do with the fact that they have wired remote start into it aswell...

Brands like Mongoose, Vision, Cyclops etc. They're not big brand names like Viper but they're imo better for security. Basically look for Australian Standards compliance and you should be fine. Plus it makes insurance easier too :)

preludacris
15-07-2005, 04:32 PM
thx for all the good advice. i think im alot paranoid now.. lol

well i basically just wanted the 791 coz it had 2 way, remote start (important for me), alarm and i guess immobilizer. and my friend can get it pretty cheap.

aozora, are you in melbourne?? maybe u could hook it up for me or something, but i would be wanting it possibly within a month or so..

aozora
15-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Yeah I'm in Melbourne... but I really don't know my way around a Honda, hell I have to redo it to my car when I get another engine put in so that's when I was gonna muck around, learn along the way and install it myself... but that won't be for a while (6 months or more...) :( So if I was to try and do it now to somebody else's car... nah definately not :p

Best just asking alot of questions to the installers... try Car audio places as I'd think they're a bit more serious then Autobarn or the like.

tegboy
16-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Speak with Hektik car audio on Sydney road, they do awesome work and they are approved Viper dealers...