PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] VAFCII vs ECU

leungie
14-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if VAFCII would be 'enough' or is an aftermarket ECO much preferred over?

Just thinking that the VAFC is less hassles... but don't know if the performance difference would be significant

Thanks!

James :D

strepto
14-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Enough for what? Whats the purpose of it? A VAFC isnt a mod to make your car go faster - its a mod to utilize your mods so that the car performs better.

Just adding a VAFC wont do anything good.

yfin
14-07-2005, 06:02 PM
This is not exactly a response to the question you have asked - but I would recommend you wait for Hondata reflash. Lots of tuning and development is being conducted and my prediction is that the performance improvement will be much better than VAFC due to all the tuning points possible with the reflash.

strepto
14-07-2005, 06:07 PM
will be much better than VAFC due to all the tuning points possible with the reflash.

True! But its really hard to give advice when we dont know which mods he is trying to tune. If the car is stock, the K-Pro will be without any practical use.

yfin
14-07-2005, 06:28 PM
True! But its really hard to give advice when we dont know which mods he is trying to tune. If the car is stock, the K-Pro will be without any practical use.

Not necessarily true - plenty of scope for gains with a stock Euro from the information I have heard so far regarding the Hondata development.

strepto
14-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Where? And how? The stock ECU tunes the car perfectly well when its stock. The only purpose I may see any use of - is to lean it out a bit. Its running slitghly rich. Yes, it may be possible to gain a few horses, but nothing noticable to make it worth the investment on a stock engine.

My advice is to put your money elsewhere.

yfin
14-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Where? And how? The stock ECU tunes the car perfectly well when its stock. The only purpose I may see any use of - is to lean it out a bit. Its running slitghly rich. Yes, it may be possible to gain a few horses, but nothing noticable to make it worth the investment on a stock engine.

My advice is to put your money elsewhere.

Read this post please:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22883&page=1&pp=12&highlight=euro

Plenty of power to be gained from tuning a stock Euro. Just wait and see when this is released. I have my money ready to buy it. BLKCRX is working on the Hondata release in Australia. He is teasing us regarding results but I think he is excited for good reason!

strepto
14-07-2005, 07:11 PM
But thats not really stock, is it? It has a header and a new intake system - which may be further utilized with tuning. Again, im not saying that you wont be able to gain a few, but its hardly worth it when the gains from cheaper boltons are better. First mod on an euro should be a Mugen Airbox and a good K-series header. This is where the real power lie.

Chris_F
14-07-2005, 07:34 PM
strepto... checkout tsx.acurazine.com aswell and find posts about hondata. On a stock car you can gain 25hp in a significant part of the rev range.

Peak power doesn't significantly increase but apparently the reflash is doing wonders for the american version of the euro (acura tsx).

Do a bit more reasearch and i think you'll be suprised...

If i can find a dyno of a stock tsx with the reflash i'll post up a link.

aaronng
14-07-2005, 07:38 PM
A stock Euro runs the engine a bit rich because we use 98 octane while it is tuned for 95 octane. The timing cannot be advanced enough to take advantage of 98 octane, so by using VFACII or reflashing with Hondata, you can lean out the mixture so that it produces more power. Of course, when you use intake and header, you improve the filling efficiency, which is quite bad since it has a long stroke, large capacity cylinder.

yfin
14-07-2005, 07:44 PM
But thats not really stock, is it? It has a header and a new intake system - which may be further utilized with tuning. Again, im not saying that you wont be able to gain a few, but its hardly worth it when the gains from cheaper boltons are better. First mod on an euro should be a Mugen Airbox and a good K-series header. This is where the real power lie.

What I was pointing you to was not so much the thread but the post from BLKCRX (James at Hondata). He has seen a 20% gain on STOCK euro with tuning. This is not a few hp.

leungie
15-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Haha, thanks for the mixed responses to let me know of different opinions and apologies to my 'is it enough' question (too vague).

Anyway why I asked the question initially was that I have ordered for a Injen filter and probably get a hi-flo car & cat back exhaust by end of this year (I think), so I thought I might need some kind of computer to 'finetune' the car.

And as yfin pointed out, I've also heard that a piggy back of somesort have pretty good performance gains even from a stock car...

From this talk, (sorry for my ignorance with NA cars - never thought I would mod one) then is it recommened that I change the header before a cat back for the euro?

Cheers
James

aaronng
15-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Haha, thanks for the mixed responses to let me know of different opinions and apologies to my 'is it enough' question (too vague).

Anyway why I asked the question initially was that I have ordered for a Injen filter and probably get a hi-flo car & cat back exhaust by end of this year (I think), so I thought I might need some kind of computer to 'finetune' the car.

And as yfin pointed out, I've also heard that a piggy back of somesort have pretty good performance gains even from a stock car...

From this talk, (sorry for my ignorance with NA cars - never thought I would mod one) then is it recommened that I change the header before a cat back for the euro?

Cheers
James
To answer your questions, you will see a gain in with your InJen and catback. However, there will be a limit to the gain, because with the mods, the engine MIGHT be operating out of the ECU fuelmap's parameter range. If it is operating out of the range, then you won't get the full potential (i.e. a non-optimum amount of fuel is injected eventhough you have a higher flowing intake/exhaust). To maximise the potential power gain, you need to change the fuelmaps and timings, hence getting an VFACII or even better since you have an Euro, the Hondata reflash (I think they will tune it for intake and headers)

To summarise, you can have intake and catback alone and get some gain, but you need an aftermarket ECU to MAXIMISE the gain. VAFCII is somewhere in the middle.

leungie
15-07-2005, 12:47 PM
To summarise, you can have intake and catback alone and get some gain, but you need an aftermarket ECU to MAXIMISE the gain. VAFCII is somewhere in the middle.

Thanks Aaronng, I was expecting that.

Anyone know the likely price of the reflash, and price people normally charge for tuning?
Price of VAFC

Thanks!
James

aaronng
15-07-2005, 01:06 PM
I"m not sure about the price of tuning, but keep watching www.hondatech.com.au forums. A Hondata pricelist is coming up for the reflash.