PDA

View Full Version : Headlights Dimming

elim
14-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Hi everyone, I noticed in my car, when my car is about to stall, the headlights dim, is this normal ?

About to stall: either when I drive off from a halt OR when I'm just slowing down (to a red light for instance) in 5th gear to about 10km/h ( don't ask why haha)

Thanks.

n/a
15-07-2005, 12:05 AM
i notice this in all cars. isn't it a thing that just happens?

bumography
15-07-2005, 01:31 AM
the headlights and other lights will dim when its very close to stalling, this is because there is a lot of load on the battery, i'm not entirely sure, but from my electrical knowledge, it could be the starter motor causing the load and draining all the current.
You'll also notice the dimming lights when you use your electric windows, or pump a stereo REALLY loud :D

Phantasm
15-07-2005, 03:23 PM
I think it to do with the alternator not charging the battery properly due to the low engine rpm... and the battery is being drained. therfore not enuff power is provided for the electrics.

heist
15-07-2005, 03:48 PM
I think it to do with the alternator not charging the battery properly due to the low engine rpm... and the battery is being drained. therfore not enuff power is provided for the electrics.

^^ your on the ball

aimre
15-07-2005, 04:25 PM
umm... if the engine it on (and the battery light on the dash if OFF) then no power is sourced from the battery.

So if the RPM drops too low, the alternater wont make enough power and hence your light dims.

nothing to do with u battery

elim
15-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks champs !