PDA

View Full Version : New F1 Qualifying Formats. Ideas?

nEUROtic
15-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Proposal 1:
- 60-minute session, split into two 25-minute ‘halves’ with a 10-minute break.
- drivers may run as many laps as they wish, but must set a time in each half.
- each driver’s best times from the first half is added to his best time from the second half to produce a final time to determine the grid.
- no fuel restrictions - cars may refuel during and after the session.

Proposal 2:
- 60-minute session.
- after 15 minutes, the five slowest cars must retire from the session and will qualify 16th to 20th on the grid.
- after a further 15 minutes, the five cars slowest during that period (times cannot be carried over from the first 15 minutes) must also retire from the session. They will qualify 11th to 15th on the grid.
- for the final 30 minutes the remaining 10 cars will compete for first to tenth place on the grid, based on the best times set in that period (times cannot be carried over from the first 30 minutes).
- drivers may run as many laps as they wish in each period.
- no fuel restrictions - cars may refuel during and after the session.

Who's got some ideas and opinions on these. They are asking for votes at f1.com so I'd like some discussion to see if we can find some pros and cons before I vote.

The second one looks kinda cool, can anyone think of any reasons that might make it sucky? I dont like that it has no fuel restrictions, and I think that this extra strain on the engines should warrant a less restrictive (ie 2 race) engine rule.

TwEigh
15-07-2005, 02:14 PM
well i went to the site and voted for proposal 2.
It will defenietly show wat the driver capable of.

in the current qualifying. if the driver stuff up (eg run wide, spin ) then he is doomed. also slower time for the driver go out early in the qualifying.

not sure about no fuel restriction. in order for the car to go fast, they can easily put only 3-5 laps worth of fuel. then keep coming back for it.

LUD02C
15-07-2005, 04:11 PM
2nd option is what I would prefer out of the 2.
I like the idea of as many laps in 25 minutes, but dropping cars off?
Not sure on that.

TwEigh
15-07-2005, 04:21 PM
LOL minardi and jordan will always get dropped first.

oh yeh jordan will become midland next yr. hopefully become more competitive

LUD02C
15-07-2005, 04:28 PM
They should.
The owner of Midland offered $75 million for 1 football player to play for his team, he should turn Jordan back to what it was in 1997.
I voted for option 2.

nEUROtic
15-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Yeah I dont like no fuel restrictions either..... they should only be able to fill once. So if u fill it for three laps, then u better hope u do three good laps and then come in. But u could also fill for 10 and then set the faster times as u go.

Vivski
17-07-2005, 01:58 AM
I doubt fuel would really make a big difference. The top driver would not need to push for the first 30mins. I quite like the idea. It's something different, deffinately exciting, not too confusing, no loopholes to be taken advantage of, level playing field.

Elimination qualifying... it's basically a warm-up race where the top time wins.