PDA

View Full Version : diagnosis needed!?!?!

JohnnyBoy
09-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Hi guys,

need a little help with some strange noises.

i musta had this noise for some time now, but only noticed it recently because i forgot my deck the other day and had to go for a short trip without any music.

It's coming from the rear. A short, repetitive, low grind / rubbing noise. It's kinda hard to describe. It occurs when you're driving above 60 k's. You can hear it on smooth roads at about 60k's. really evident when going about 90 k's. Going over 100k's, you start feeling it through the floor.

The faster you go, the quicker the noise repeats. The noise happens regardless whether i'm accelerating, rolling or braking.

The noise doesn't seem to any louder when you're taking fast corners. I though they migh have, but i've taken for a few drives with windows up, no music, and i can't come to a definitive answer, as to whether turning makes a difference with the noise volume.

Atm the moment, i'm guessing it might be a bent axle?? cause it's a repetitive / cyclical noise. the faster you go, the faster the noise repeats.

i've had my shocks and springs changed maybe about 10,000 kms. could they have done something wrong then?? forgot to put something back in??

otherwise, are there CV joint's in the rear?!?! if so, what do worn rear CV joints sound like? I know the front one's click when you turn hard.

Any help would be great. Thanx in advance.

poid
09-02-2004, 03:04 PM
No CV's or axles back there. I think there would be wheel bearings though and they could be it.

Perhaps the handbrake might need adjusting? That could possibly cause such a sound...when you remove the rear suspension to take the stock struts out sometimes you need to remove the brake line i think, but thats not complicated.

Otherwise there are literally 2 nuts at the top of the strut tower and one bolt at the botom to completely remove the struts, so they couldnt have forgotten to put something back in unless they played with something else

JohnnyBoy
09-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Thanx poid.

bearings?!?!? as in right wear the wheel bolts on!?!?

how much damage can they do / not do??? just wondering how soon i should get it checked out??

Another question. I forgot to ask the suspension guys to change my bushes when the put in shocks and springs.

Will they make the ride stiffer?? cause it's loosened up a fair bit, compared to when i had them put in initially, and i really would like the ride to be like how it was originally. And if i get them put in, should i just get the OEM honda ones? or aftermarket ones.

poid
09-02-2004, 04:12 PM
yeh they are inside the hub where the wheel bolts on. I'm not sure if thats the problem, but its about all i could think of with those symptoms

bushes should stiffen up the ride, as the stockies will definitely wear over time and become looser. If you are getting them get some aftermarket urathane bushes.

They are definitely a worthwhile upgrade

EuroAccord13
10-02-2004, 03:01 AM
Another possibility might be that your discs might be warped or your brake pads are running out...

CHEERS

JohnnyBoy
10-02-2004, 08:04 AM
i don't feel any vibrations through the brake peddle. So i'm guessing it's not the disc's or the pads. Braking's consistant, and all.

I've booked it in for a service coming monday. I was thinking of getting sway & strut bars soon. so i'll probably get the bushes changed then as well.