PDA

View Full Version : RTA in a fine mess over new P-plate restrictions

7th Gen
15-07-2005, 06:53 PM
http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=9988&vf=2&bg=1&pp=0

discuss

Encor3
15-07-2005, 11:16 PM
From that artical there is alot of bashing towards the RTA which i guess is fair enough, with points such as
- Family owned cars (commordores V8's turbos) families are forced to buy new cars.
IMHO i reckon RTA should withdraw what they've done, actually spend time rewriting the whole banned cars list or adopt what Victoria has done with power to weight ratios.
some very high powerd cars , S2000 and RX8 are not banned but some weak turbo cars are . :rolleyes:

EuroAccord13
15-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Agreed, stick to the Power to Weight Ratio restriction..

But with any laws, there are bound to be loop holes

chinkdood
16-07-2005, 12:45 AM
they jsut want to make more money

exemption form. its all bs for government to make money. jsut my 2c

mr_mojo02
16-07-2005, 01:09 AM
lol what a joke.. it does seem like they are gunna make some money here doesnt it... regardless ever since i saw the "high performace v6" statement a few months ago on the RTA website, ive brought up the point of the current commodores and falcons in discussions with mates. What defines a "high performance v6"?
There is engines out there that produce speed (or acceleration) with a surprisingly low power rating... IMO they need to look at what exacly they are trying to prevent and work on resolving that problem, cuz at the end of the day anyone can go out and mod the car internally and how is the RTA gunna know about it?

7th Gen
16-07-2005, 01:11 AM
cuz at the end of the day anyone can go out and mod the car internally and how is the RTA gunna know about it?

if there is any sort of internal mod you require an engineers certificate?

mr_mojo02
16-07-2005, 01:22 AM
yes you require one.. but do u really think a defect station (or a policeman) is gunna pull the head off ur engine to prove uve got something in there?

crx_boy7
16-07-2005, 01:39 AM
theri actually enforcing it now?
i left syd 2mnths ago now i got heapz ov turbo gear from america and i hav to wait 2 yrs b4 i can throw it in my crx?
IM NOT HAPPY

7th Gen
16-07-2005, 02:44 AM
to be honest with you, i think with this sort of thing it is going to be really hard to enforce

having said that though, i am not encouraging people to break the law - but you run with something illegal, you run the risk. and that's just with the police/RTA

same deal goes for not telling insurance about any 'mods' you might have. if anything happens, then insurance has every right not to pay out if it is not on the policy

(i'll get off my soap box now)

revNhevN
16-07-2005, 06:36 PM
yep, power to weight is the best way to limit performance cars. A car does not have to have a turbo, supercharger or V8 to be a performance car. They should review each car entirely, not just the engine.

Fr3aKi3
17-07-2005, 01:00 PM
I had a flick through Wheels or Motor magazine the other day and noticed a
section on the new P-plater restrictions.

A Daihatsu Copen (3 cylinder turbo) with a quarter mile of 18.5+seconds is banned BUT a Lotus Exige is still fine for a P-plater... makes me wish i had $120 000....

kousoku
17-07-2005, 01:20 PM
lol, its all a little silly.
imho, although certain cars can make mistakes easyer to occur (ie. faster acceleration) and could result in a larger crash. it is in most cases the person behind the wheel, not the type of car.

Just from memory, all the 4+ car accidents involving p platers or younger drivers have occured in very small low powered cars. Sure in recent months we have seen the skyline, but that only involved one car, it seems that it is the saftey rating of the car that will affect the severity of the accident.

I wanna see 5 hoons go steal a volvo and see the results, more then likly even if the car was one of the turbo volvo's there would only be minor cuts and graizes if involved in an accident. just my oppinion.

7th Gen
17-07-2005, 01:39 PM
it is interesting that when you are on your L's you can drive any car you like (go Dad's 911 Turbo or R34 Skyline) but when you get your P's you can't drive any car which is on the 'hit list'

[ slayer ]
17-07-2005, 10:13 PM
power to weight seems fairest, but very hard to enforce, wheareas a list of cars based on cylinders/turbo etc makes it very clear what is and is not legal.

yes may be unfair as people who would have driven their parents car can't now if its banned, but same wouldv'e happened if the car broke the power to weight ratio... and yes i realise thas is less likely

overall too many young people die, and something needs to be done, but IMO driver attitudes should be targeted rather than car types they drive as any car can be in an accident.

panda[cRx]
18-07-2005, 12:52 AM
less picking on P platers and more driver training i reckon. make it harder to get the licence. its so much harder overseas, mygf just got her licence in japan an its a bloody ordeal but well worth it i reckon

z3lda
18-07-2005, 12:40 PM
suck shit p platers. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHhah

z3lda
18-07-2005, 12:54 PM
']

overall too many young people die, and something needs to be done, but IMO driver attitudes should be targeted rather than car types they drive as any car can be in an accident.

What i think the government and the public should DO!!! IS not care about ppl dying

IF ppl die they Die. THERE FKN FAULT why should others be punished for someone elses misfortune??

FKN STUPID DRIVERSSRS. :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

I drive saftely and follow the road rules....i dont need to be a labelled as a hoon cuz my car is fast!!

IRI
18-07-2005, 01:23 PM
suck shit p platers. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHhah

ahaha fkn young cnts:p

Honestly though 18-21 you should be spendin' ur money on drugs and pussy.... not cars:thumbsup:

civ_sik
18-07-2005, 07:34 PM
hahaha^^ lol funny coz its true

VTI-00H
18-07-2005, 08:05 PM
in all honesty why get upset about it.

it is now law and there aint much u can do about it unless you get permission to drive a black listed vehicle.

in life you are not always going to be able to do all the things you want to do and we are always faced by laws telling us to do this and not that.

so what if you wait a few more years, grow a few more brain cells... though for many of us, it just doesnt happen.

just stick to public transport... NO PROBLEM!!

ahahahh

z3lda
18-07-2005, 08:07 PM
hahah! sif this effects me.

kousoku
18-07-2005, 09:30 PM
vti-ooh,
so if i feel like killing z3lda, your saying i can't because the law says so?!

what about morals and ethics mate. laws represent socities views on actions, and trys to reflect that in the penatlies given if you break these laws.
Society (as a micronism represented by ozhonda) feels that these p plate restrictions are not in tune with the views of society, and therefore these "laws" are not just.

go think before you talk, no one is really in to much of a state, they are just saying that there is a better ways or less ambigious way to set out rules which will infact, solve the problem.
rather then just create revenue and hassle.

7th Gen
18-07-2005, 10:52 PM
vti-ooh,

what about morals and ethics mate. laws represent socities views on actions, and trys to reflect that in the penatlies given if you break these laws.
Society (as a micronism represented by ozhonda) feels that these p plate restrictions are not in tune with the views of society, and therefore these "laws" are not just.

go think before you talk, no one is really in to much of a state, they are just saying that there is a better ways or less ambigious way to set out rules which will infact, solve the problem.
rather then just create revenue and hassle.

interesting point

it is interesting you say 'laws represent societies views on actions'
we do live in a democratic society. at the next election we can always vote out the current govt/minister/whatever

note all the bumper stickers e.g:
i drive a 4WD and i vote
i own a rifle and i vote
i fish and i vote etc

i reckon maybe we need bumper stickers saying 'i am a car enthusiast and i vote'

how about that?

mj3610
18-07-2005, 11:41 PM
hmmm i used to be against this new P-Plate law but today i saw a R33 p plater take off from the lights to show off in front of me n my mates onli to go straight to the kerb and into a small tree. farken idiots some p platers dunno how to drive their cars.(Red p platers ;) ).
p.s that was some funny shid but we pulled over and helped him out, his front bar was split in 2 basically and his front bonnet bent abit and his right front rim buckeled but no serious injury and no engine damage.

typicalmale
19-07-2005, 01:12 AM
man thats just a kick in the butt
but that god even though im a green P plater, it doesnt apply to me..
but i feel sorry for those who just got their greens or if their on their reds. hell anyone whos got their L's and those without a license..

kousoku
19-07-2005, 09:30 AM
yea exactly, it is a good idea, the power to weight ratio thing is a good idea, education is a good idea.

banning fun boy saab convertibles with 100kw engines, just wierd?!

i think rta is homophobic!

mr_mojo02
19-07-2005, 10:07 AM
']less picking on P platers and more driver training i reckon. make it harder to get the licence. its so much harder overseas, mygf just got her licence in japan an its a bloody ordeal but well worth it i reckon

i agree... ive always been a fan of advanced driving courses. How easy would it be to make everyone do a stage 1 course as part of passing the p's test.

At the moment it seems they are just postponing the incidents. Drive a grandma car for three years then get off p's, boom ur in the same situation a dude who was previously on p's goes out and buys a skyline, still has no experience in a high powered car (but now thinks he has experience) and prangs hardcore.
Its gunna happen, they are just making the process take longer lol.

MORE DRIVER TRAINING!!!

z3lda
19-07-2005, 10:34 AM
im a forumla 4 driver. im gangsta

VTI-00H
19-07-2005, 01:27 PM
kousokuvti-ooh,

rather then just create revenue and hassle.not saying you cant kill zelda coz the law says so... you can do what ever you want, no one is forcing you to obey the law...

what i was saying if you read it properly, is that its now law and thats that. there is not much chance that the govt is going to change what it has said unless there is mass civil unrest and that it has to do otherwise.

Sure our little honda micro society can make its views and im all for that... just like your making your own view and im making mine.

tell me what morals and ethics have to do with limiting the types of vehicles that your allowed drive and why is it that you are allowed to say these laws are not just but I cannot make the comment of "deal with it"...

and dont ever tell me to think befor i talk. you have no right to do that. this is a forum that promotes expression and freedom of speach. sure put your view across and challenge my thoughts, but dont be rude and arrogant by telling me what i can/can't do, its just pathetic and goes to show that you dont want to listen to what other people say and think that your above me, but guess what your not.

and just so you dont get upset, I am not and will not hold a grudge against you for saying that, but just be careful what you say. some people wont be as tolerant.

kousoku
19-07-2005, 06:14 PM
lol, its funny because you watch, these new laws (rules really) are being challenged by very powerful people, ie. ford and holden, who hold a lot of sway and are primarily responsible for import laws.

Just because the government introduces something doesnt mean you don't have the right to disagree with that change, nor does it mean that that change is concrete.

That is why there are high courts ect, so one person, or a group of people do not hold ultimate power.

if u ask me, if enough people kick up a fuss in a productive way, the problem will be solved, and silly rules will be abolished.

mr_mojo02
19-07-2005, 06:48 PM
they have the right kind of idea.. they need to do something about the amount of incidents 'p' platers have (im on green p's) they just need a more productive way of doing it

VTI-00H
19-07-2005, 07:42 PM
well yes that is true and i agree with that point in that the motor companies may have something to say about that, and there may be changes in the ledgislation as to what the banned vehicles are.

but having connections with the rta myself (no i cant get your points back) the chance or possibility of change will be very slim.

and in any case its not as if the cars have been banned for life from drivers, it just means that our young fellow drives cant by a rocket for a few more years

Rico
19-07-2005, 09:14 PM
hmm I'm a little late on this part of the news, does this count for people who have their p's NOW or for people who gain their p's after the new law was set in?
:confused:

mr_mojo02
20-07-2005, 10:44 AM
nah bro.. only new p platers.. us current guys can still drive 'rockets' :P

z3lda
20-07-2005, 10:52 AM
i RECKON just LET all the young drivers WASTE $$$ on skylines, CRASH , BURN AND DIE in HEll cuz they are dickehads

THEN that way more dickheads will be off the roads and make life safer for the rest of us.
ANd no more skylines on the road too. ahha

mr_mojo02
20-07-2005, 11:06 AM
lol so negative

IRI
20-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Dont know why everyone is so worried.... You all drive 4 cyl Hondas:wave:

7th Gen
21-07-2005, 06:10 PM
well yes that is true and i agree with that point in that the motor companies may have something to say about that, and there may be changes in the ledgislation as to what the banned vehicles are.

but having connections with the rta myself (no i cant get your points back) the chance or possibility of change will be very slim.

and in any case its not as if the cars have been banned for life from drivers, it just means that our young fellow drives cant by a rocket for a few more years

what are your RTA 'connections'? :)

PM me if you wish

fly_vti
15-08-2005, 05:21 PM
i dont care !!! as long as i can drive a honda type r thats all im worried about

fly_vti
15-08-2005, 05:23 PM
what happens if you loose your licence? then get it back. caz i just lost mine now. does it make me on the banned thing then i get my licence back?

Pogi
21-08-2005, 11:36 PM
if only the rta would change some of their banned vehicle list

i'd like to import a lincoln navigator...or at the least..a gmc yukon

mini_s2000
21-08-2005, 11:57 PM
what happens if you loose your licence? then get it back. caz i just lost mine now. does it make me on the banned thing then i get my licence back?
na your in the clear... feel sorry for people just getting there p's.

zco
22-08-2005, 09:17 PM
What i think the government and the public should DO!!! IS not care about ppl dying

IF ppl die they Die. THERE FKN FAULT why should others be punished for someone elses misfortune??

FKN STUPID DRIVERSSRS. :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

I drive saftely and follow the road rules....i dont need to be a labelled as a hoon cuz my car is fast!!

the government doesnt care for the ppl that kill themselves.

i reckon these laws were introduced to stop those dickheads killing other innocent ppl

zco
22-08-2005, 09:20 PM

depends what you lsot it for. in the RTA site.. it states

"The prohibited vehicle condition does not apply to:

Existing provisional (P1 and P2) licence holders prior to 11 July 2005, unless they are disqualified for a serious driving offence committed on or after 11 July 2005. "

then if you click on some links.. it will tel lyou whether it was a SERIOS offence or not

kam
24-08-2005, 10:19 PM
sux to be a p plater in NSW... lol what about if the only car in your family's garage is a 300kw TT supra? :P

most "modified" cars are safer than the rest of the old bombs you see driving around on the road...

crx_boy7
26-08-2005, 09:44 PM
"The prohibited vehicle condition does not apply to:
Existing provisional (P1 and P2) licence holders prior to 11 July 2005, unless they are disqualified for a serious driving offence committed on or after 11 July 2005. "

THANQ THANQ
u made me so so happy

but while its tru that people who die on the roads in serious accidents can kill inoccent people - in most cases those people arent so inoccent

do u kno how many F_ _ _N D_ _ _heads pulled infront of me while i was overtaking caussing me to violently slam the brakes and mount the kerb- its those PEOPLE not p platers , not speeding who cause accidents. People who think their the king of the road

matt
05-09-2005, 07:06 PM
i dont care !!! as long as i can drive a honda type r thats all im worried about

if you were in vicotria you wouldn't be able to drive your Type R becuse it exceeds 125kw/Tonne, so i guess both systems have there downside.

And if 'P' platers want to drive skylines etc they can always move to a state that has no restricions ie, WA, SA etc