PDA

View Full Version : steering rack and rocker coveer seal..

alphabeatsco
15-07-2005, 06:54 PM
i've been to the mechanics for a service, three problems found.

TIE ROD END LOOSE and STEERING RACK ROD END LOOSE.

and rocket cover gacket , cos i have taken it out before to spray...
now it's leaking oil...

r these serioiuus problems? and do i need to replace these items? or can be fixed?

aozora
15-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Yes... the tie rod ends connect to your wheel and steering rack, then are moved by the steering rack when you, well steer and control the wheel. If they're loose, eventually they'll just come off and you'll lose all feel/control and... not good basically. I haven't really heard of it happening... but if your mech isn't bsing you, then I'd take it seriously and get it tightened or replaced (if the threads are gone? I dunno how it can just get loose, atleast on Nissan steering racks there's the thread then a sort of a "nut" which is held tightly in place by 4 tabs then covered by the steering rack boot) but I don't think it's a major job... you'll need an alignment after all this is fixed though.

Rocker cover gasket.... well after your ricing, you should've replaced the gasket anyway? -_-;
Eventually you'll get oil leaking everywhere.. lose oil in the engine... and yer... I think it's road worthy issue aswell with leaking oil? And your cams might lose oil but... yer not sure about all that. You really shouldn't go cheap with this sort of stuff, just get them fixed... asap. They're not hard or very time consuming jobs, so...

alphabeatsco
15-07-2005, 08:04 PM
ok..the rocker cover gasket u recommend changing...
how much r they?

90xsi
15-07-2005, 08:10 PM
go to honda for rocker cover gasket.........should be about $30 (b16a)

alphabeatsco
16-07-2005, 12:43 PM
is it expensive to fix tie rods and steering rack? anyone have experiences ?

wynode
16-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Its rocker, not rocekt. Edited the title for you.

alphabeatsco
16-07-2005, 01:51 PM
okok, so does anyone know>? if it's expensive to fix tie rods and steerign rack?and good place in melb to fix?

aozora
16-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Did you even read my post... it's not a major job. Ie. Shouldn't be that expensive.

Go to your mech...?

RUDEF2
18-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Can do it for you for around $400 its mainly labour....
Drop in and ill have a look for you
Budget Wise Autos
11 Boundary Road
Mordialloc

garett
18-07-2005, 10:21 AM
didnt your mechanic only say that they were loose???

wouldnt this mean that they would only need tightening its not that hard. as for the gasket you can do this yourself as you did take the rocker cover off once.. when you used paint stripper to take the oem paint off did you take the gasket out of the rocker cover?? cos paint stripper will eat plastic/ rubber. prolly why its leaking.. about 30 bucks genuine and about 20 from bursons or something

alphabeatsco
18-07-2005, 10:32 AM
its loose, but can't be tightened.
tie rod end, and steering rack end.
so i guess it needs to changed.
dunno how much are these parts...