PDA

View Full Version : engine won't start

szha8
16-07-2005, 06:09 PM
hey guys, been on the forum for a few weeks now. but i guess i'm still a newbie. anyhow, i've been reading the forums and been performing some of the DIYs listed(cleaning the IVAC). Initially, there was no huge issue with the idle, i mean, it doesn't jump up and down. But the engine just seems to shake every few seconds very mildly. After performing the IVAC cleaning, i actually got what everyone else experienced before actually cleaning the IVAC. idle jumps up and down. So i decided to cleaned the throttle body the next day, and that didnt seem to help. I think i might not have properly reset the ecu. Thats the first problem, the second is the real problem, i guess it could only be because of me, real stupid! While the engine was on, i started to pull the spark plugs leads out one by one to check maybe the rough idle was caused by the ageing spark plug leads(i saw my mechanic do it before, so i thought it was safe). Anyway, i pulled out the first spark plug lead and the engine idle slowed down and became rough, so i stuck it back in and it was back to normal. i did the same for the second spark plug lead, but when i tried to put the third spark plug lead back in, the engine just died. and now the car won't start. The starter motor still works, but the engine won't ignite. any suggestions to what i might have done guys??? and any advice to how i can get it fixed? :) i've taken apart the distributor cap and everything looks fine.
by the way i've got a 1994 honda eg5 civic vti hatch.

stephen

Weq
16-07-2005, 11:39 PM
hmmm wierd.
that shouldnt happen. are u getting spark when u are cranking? if not maybe try another dizzy cause ur ignitor could be ****ed...

wynode
16-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Firstly check to see if you have spark in each of the plugs (a good spark). You will have to check one at a time.

szha8
17-07-2005, 01:31 AM
thanks guys, will check if i have spark, a decent spark for that matter. :)
wynode, i found in one of the other posts, your basic tutorial of how to check for spark. Seems simple enough, just hope i dont accidently electricute myself :D will update tomorrow on progress, if not i'll probably be in hospital :o

LSD Motorsports
17-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Hey buddy sounds to me that you may have shorted something, Test the distributor wires to see that they are all reading the correct power output. Also Check to make sure u pushed the wires all the way back into the cap and engine.

wynode
17-07-2005, 03:19 PM
thanks guys, will check if i have spark, a decent spark for that matter. :)
wynode, i found in one of the other posts, your basic tutorial of how to check for spark. Seems simple enough, just hope i dont accidently electricute myself :D will update tomorrow on progress, if not i'll probably be in hospital :o
I don't advice holding it unless you have HV insulation gloves. Just secore it to a metal part of the rocker cover and make sure it IS SECURE.

You do this at your own risk!

szha8
20-07-2005, 04:32 PM
alrite,i found out the problem. theres no spark at the spark plug end. so took apart the distributor cap, and a mate help me test weather it was the coils or modulator that i have stuffed up. he said coils are ****ed. so coil replacement in progess.

btw.... my mate said that after market coils kills the engine when it reaches vtec. so i'm buying genuine honda coils. has anyone tried after market coils? i find it abit harder to believe thats all.

jdmlvn
20-07-2005, 04:59 PM
check ur spark plugs bro..

ECU-MAN
20-07-2005, 10:58 PM
you have blown your coil or ignition modual. more so ignition modual

szha8
21-07-2005, 02:31 PM
car is back and running after a coil replacement, although the idle still jump up and down occasionally when stopped at an intersection. still trying to figure out the reason behind this. also just wanna check with you guys about the price of the coils?? just wanna make sure not getting ripped off by this "mate" of mine. he said the coils are genuine honda parts, and it costed 170 dollars. is this price reasonable??

wynode
21-07-2005, 11:58 PM
funny idle maybe IACV or FITV (do a search pls)

ECU-MAN
22-07-2005, 05:22 PM
coils usually cost about $160