PDA

View Full Version : window tint

ash85
17-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Can anyone recommend a good place in Brissie to get a window tint? And what tints do you guys have - does anyone have darker than 35%? Does anyone know the fine if you get caught with an illegal tint? I'd love to go about 20%....

vividjazz
17-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Can anyone recommend a good place in Brissie to get a window tint? And what tints do you guys have - does anyone have darker than 35%? Does anyone know the fine if you get caught with an illegal tint? I'd love to go about 20%....

20% looks better but 35% is the legal limit. When they do the roadworthy (pink slip) in NSW they check the front windows with a light meter (they are meant to check but most places don't). Only commercial vehicles are allowed to go darker than 35% and only from behind the drivers head. Your allowed to completely black out or even paint a rear windows on a ute or van.

Most places use metalised films now. Beware of cheaper plastic only films (the cost of the tint will be cheaper). The metalised films cut out more heat (the UV rating is about the same) - pretty important in Bris Vegas.

As for places to do it up there I don't know - all I know is you don't want to get the film and do it yourself particularly with that front quarter panel window on the Jazz.

DavidLing
17-07-2005, 05:11 PM
In BNE, ppl say the shop next to K-mark Auto (Sunnybank Plaza) is good!~

Fizz
18-07-2005, 02:46 AM
someone told me that its illegal to tint the front windscreen. is that true?

spoon fit
18-07-2005, 07:08 AM
of course true

JDMTMY
18-07-2005, 08:07 AM
yeh..ive also been told the place at k-mart auto (sunnybank plaza) is good. mate just got his mazda 3 tinted from them and recommends them. he also has good prices for his tints... also ive been told if you go wif a mate...they can do you a good deal ;)

vividjazz
18-07-2005, 08:52 AM

About the only place in the world its not illegal is the Phillipines. Though in Thailand I've seen lots of trucks with the windscreen tinted except for a little slit cut out so the driver can see out. I thought it a bit of a problem if drivers of different heights drive the same truck.

I've been in a car with a tinted Windscreen and you can equip your car with roo shooting lights and still be barely able to see the road at night.

You can tint the top of the windscreen as long as its not more than 10% of the total windscreen area and doesn't go below the reach of the wiper blades. Given that the wipers sweep to almost the top of the screen on the Jazz and alot of other modern cars that does leave a large area.

ash85
18-07-2005, 09:01 AM

yep, completely illegal

anna1984
18-07-2005, 09:04 AM
my tints r darker than 35%.
tint your side windows but avoid doin the back window too dark bcoz its abit dangerous & its a bitch seeing out the back window in the night.
i cant see through mine in the night, tints are too dark!!

[ slayer ]
18-07-2005, 10:08 AM
i cant help with a location as in melb, but i got 5% on the 3 rear windows and is impossible to see out of it at night when reverse parking etc, so dont go too dark.

as for the fine, depends on the state laws, in victoria u can tint the rear lights darker than 35%, but in nsw you can't - so just check u local laws to be safe cos u dont wanna pay for tinting then have to remove it if cops do notice

anna1984
18-07-2005, 12:09 PM
slayer is correct..

also its quiet dangerous in the rain when it pours bcoz 1 of my frens cannot see out of hes window and he's car gets all saturated by havin the window down in the rain, otherwise he cant see the traffic.
just dont tint too dark =]

DavidLing
18-07-2005, 04:55 PM
yeh..ive also been told the place at k-mart auto (sunnybank plaza) is good. mate just got his mazda 3 tinted from them and recommends them. he also has good prices for his tints... also ive been told if you go wif a mate...they can do you a good deal ;)

The shop is actually NEXT to k-mart auto (sunnybank plaza). I think is called "Sunny Tinting" (not sure~!:p), and owned by an Asina (i guess he is Vietnamese, not sure!! :p )

Fizz
18-07-2005, 08:54 PM
About the only place in the world its not illegal is the Phillipines. Though in Thailand I've seen lots of trucks with the windscreen tinted except for a little slit cut out so the driver can see out. I thought it a bit of a problem if drivers of different heights drive the same truck.

I've been in a car with a tinted Windscreen and you can equip your car with roo shooting lights and still be barely able to see the road at night.

You can tint the top of the windscreen as long as its not more than 10% of the total windscreen area and doesn't go below the reach of the wiper blades. Given that the wipers sweep to almost the top of the screen on the Jazz and alot of other modern cars that does leave a large area.

:) yes of coz it would be stupid to tint the front windscreen so dark till u can hardly see out of it, but there are very good quality "soft-tone" tints out there, some are ceramic coated which cuts out 99% of UV rays, high heat rejection etc etc...while still allowing lots of visible light transmision through it so your windows still look almost stock standard. unlike some cheaper dark black tints which may look good but has no heat-rejection properties whatsoever...a waste of money in my opinion.

im from malaysia and i've tinted both my cars there with ceramic tints and i can say that was worth every penny, plus its approved by the malaysian road transport authorities :thumbsup: well the reason i asked whether i can tint my front windscreen over here is bcoz i wanted to know if it would still be illegal even if i used those type of tints like i mentioned above. :cool:

vividjazz
18-07-2005, 10:10 PM
:) yes of coz it would be stupid to tint the front windscreen so dark till u can hardly see out of it, but there are very good quality "soft-tone" tints out there, some are ceramic coated which cuts out 99% of UV rays, high heat rejection etc etc...while still allowing lots of visible light transmision through it so your windows still look almost stock standard. unlike some cheaper dark black tints which may look good but has no heat-rejection properties whatsoever...a waste of money in my opinion.

im from malaysia and i've tinted both my cars there with ceramic tints and i can say that was worth every penny, plus its approved by the malaysian road transport authorities :thumbsup: well the reason i asked whether i can tint my front windscreen over here is bcoz i wanted to know if it would still be illegal even if i used those type of tints like i mentioned above. :cool:

The traffic law in Australia doesn't take into account different sorts of films - the authorities here don't know the difference. Its simply cut and dried.

You can do what you want in most of Asia as long as you have money. A few hundred ringgit, pesos or baht won't buy you a get out of jail free card or save you from a canary slip (defect notice) here. Its pack you PJs and get ready to meet big boy bubba in the big house if you try to bribe our 'friendly' :wave: highway patrol.

Fizz
19-07-2005, 02:02 PM
okay i understand now that the authorities here dont take into account different kinds of tints....thats fine. but just for your info, pls dont think i implied that im gonna bribe any cop here in australia, in fact i've never bribed any cop or authorities back in malaysia even.

ash85
20-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Hmm ok, so I understand that 35% is the legal limit here, but I still wanna go 20%. Does anyone know:
1. where to get a 20% tint
2. what is the fine if caught with an illegal tint, and
3. how do cops check the % of tint? light meter?
Keeping in mind that I'm in Brissie... not sure how much the rules differ between states.

vividjazz
20-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Hmm ok, so I understand that 35% is the legal limit here, but I still wanna go 20%. Does anyone know:
1. where to get a 20% tint
2. what is the fine if caught with an illegal tint, and
3. how do cops check the % of tint? light meter?
Keeping in mind that I'm in Brissie... not sure how much the rules differ between states.

Your insurer can void your insurance or more likely take your premium money but reject any claim as your vehicle is unroadworthy. Your always free to drive around uninsured but remember your liable for all damage you cause to other people and property as well as your own car.

I wish the fines were as small as they are in QLD down here in NSW.
Queensland = $75 and 1 point driving a motor vehicle equiped with optional equipment that does not comply with the vehicle standards. Queensland police do a visibilty test on the spot usually with a piece of card and a torch. They don't carry light meters but can ask you to take it in for inspection where they have a grade chart and light meter.

Most places will do a 20% tint if you ask for it but might not note the darkness of the tint on the reciept or not issue a reciept. Most tinters will ask you not to disclose where you got it done.

Cops can defect your car on the spot if they want to and require that it be taken in for inspection. In NSW they can even impound your car in which case you foot the bill for impounding, towing, storage, release and more. Most likely get a fine and told to remove the tint.

If tinting was done Pre 1994 then you can go darker than 35% in NSW. Obviously the car would have to be at least that old.

Mirrored or reflective tints are illegal and pose a serious danger to other road users.

I think really dark tints like 5% are more of an issue and likely to attract more unwanted attention.