PDA

View Full Version : Ecu codes.....

Illegal
17-07-2005, 04:42 PM
So why the hell would i get a code 17 vehicle speed sensor AND a code 41 primary O2 sensor heater code at the exact same time? Mind you I just replaced my vss about less than 6 months ago and the O2 sensor is new over the last year or two!

I am so frustrated. I am taking the head off to go to the machine shop to get fixed because of all my oil consumption (smoke) now that the block is done, and it cant be that. The compression tests came back perfect, so it must be the head. Now 1 1/2 quarts of oil on a 220mile trip on the highway could explain a now bad O2 sensor, but the vss at the same time?!

Illegal
18-07-2005, 12:37 PM
So on the way to take the head off today, the car died. So the alternator i guess took a shite. I think that could explain both the VSS and the O2 heater code. Without the right voltage to both they wont work properly. So we will put the head back on when it's done, put a spre alternator on and see where we are at from there.

So another question......what should the cylinder walls look like after about 7,500 miles on it after an over bore and hone? Shinny with no cross threads to see. Is it now broken in, or is it washed out by fuel, and i need to rehone and replace the rings? The fuel is a bit rich, but i wouldnt think it was so rich as to "wash" the oil away in the cylinders and ruin the rings.

Illegal
25-07-2005, 03:42 AM
So the code was from a 7.5 volt fuse for the alternator. I replaced the alternator anyway.

ECU-MAN
25-07-2005, 10:04 PM
you mean 7.5 amp ???

you should still be able to see cross hatching on a normally driven engine after that sort of milage. since you got code 41, your o2 heater has failed, meaning it not within the normal operating resistance for the ecu, your O2 sensor it self is working or you would have registered code 1. a blocked O2 sensor would register code 1.

so did you manage to get rid of code 17.

Illegal
26-07-2005, 12:32 AM
both codes atre gone. It was the VSS and the primary O2 HEATEr code, so all is good. Just needed a new alternator I guess. Hopefully it wasnt just a new fuse. Well it poped it for a reason so now there is a new one!