PDA

View Full Version : Civic VTI Temp Gauge fluctation

jaffa_cree
17-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Car is a 94/95 Civic VTI 4 speed auto.

Just noticed it today so i am not sure how long it has been happening for.
Driving down Federal Highway at 110km for about an hour i decided to look at the temp gauge and realise that it was fluctuating dramatically.

The hottest the temp gauges gets is about 1/3 up. When it hits 1/3 on the temp gauge it will sit there for a while then it will gradually decrease until it hits the COLD point. Once it hits COLD it will gradually move back up to the 1/3 mark again. This cycle continues.

The temp gauge also responds to driving style, while cruising at 110km, if i step on the accelerator and speed up i can see the needle increase slightly, if i let loose of the gas and let the car roll and gradually lose speed the temp gauge will decrease. It seems to fluctuate and be very sensitive.

Another interesting thing to note is the RPM is also affected by the fluctuation in the temp gauge as well. While cruising at 110km with the temp gauge at 1/3 the level the rpm was hovering around 3300-3400.
When the temp dips to COLD the rpm increases to about 3500-3600.
This subtle change in the RPM is noticeable as you can feel and hear it.
This does not occur with speeds below 80km.

What seems to be the issue here will there be any complications that might damage so the car/engine in any way?

Weq
17-07-2005, 10:37 PM
your thermostat seems to be stuck open, either fully or partially. your temps should be constant.

Rufes1
18-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Yeh definetly sounds like a thermostat problem. Change it and see what difference it makes. Should fix your problem.

Just a question on the side, is your air-con on whilst this is happening? When it happens switch off your aircon if its on and see what difference it makes. Its prob not related but im just interested :)

jaffa_cree
18-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Yeh definetly sounds like a thermostat problem. Change it and see what difference it makes. Should fix your problem.

Just a question on the side, is your air-con on whilst this is happening? When it happens switch off your aircon if its on and see what difference it makes. Its prob not related but im just interested :)

AC was not on.
It was bloody freezing day.

I shall bring to mechanic and ask the thermostat to be looked at.
Thanks

VT3C
18-07-2005, 05:42 PM
your thermostat seems to be stuck open, either fully or partially. your temps should be constant.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SINISTR
18-07-2005, 05:52 PM
I was once doing a descent here in Perth, down Greenmount Hill (leads into the Darling Range - not very high)... and I let the car coast down the hill at about 1am, temperatures in 10-15 degrees. The temperature went from Hot (middle) to almost Cold - which I found very strange - and also once back in 4th the car started surging. I found it weird but it also happened only once.

Like the other guys say - id have your thermostat checked...

VT3C
18-07-2005, 06:02 PM
yeah throttle position CAN also effect temps when in the hills.. open throttle cools the engine by allowing more cool air to enter the cyllinders, when you roll down the hills however off throttle, it can rise in temp. but not that dramatically. more info on that 'phenomenon' at hondata's website.

Once in my VTi after I installed Cold Air Ducting onto my pod filter, I was driving the length of the freeway from the south end into the city at like 3am oin a fine night in middle of winter. My temp guage went DOWN DOWN to almost cold-start level and so I pulled over immediately to check I hadnt blown a water hose (when u blow a water hose the temp plummets on the guage cause ther is no water to heat the senor), however when I popped the hood I found that my steel intake pipe had ICED-UP from the sub-zero air being rushed into theengine bay. I was amazed.. and then VTEC'd all the way home just loving it HAHAH.

but yeah, if temp is fluctuating, indicated dodgy thermostat to me.

00' coupe
20-07-2005, 12:55 AM
my mate has a VTi and has a fluctuating temp aswell... it fluctauates from normal downwards then comes bak up to normal... it takes its time doin dis... we didnt knw wat it was n neva really paid much attention to it cos it was stil in the "all good range"(between cold to normal)...
thanx guys ill tel my mate to get his thermostat checkd