PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket ECU dodgyness!

rev-tech
18-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Now i know it's pretty damn obvious to get an aftermarket ECU tuned. But this is how it affects your car when it's done VERY badly

The story goes, i've got a E30 318, and the previous owner put an EMS in. now for some reason they piggybacked it with the original ECU.
Anyway it was running like a pig so i wanted to get it pulled out. Problem being that the person who installed it was VERY dodgy! wires were cut everywhere. and how's this, the intake air temp sensor was just SITTING in the engine bay...measuring the air temp under the bonnet!!
We found though the un-installation(?) that it was just running the injectors, god knows why!

Anyway, so what does this do to the engine?
-it didn't like starting if it had been sitting around for a while, and then wouldn't run properly until it had warmed up
-i was getting 250-300k's per 50L tank. And thats driving sedately!

Moral of the story......if you get an aftermarket ECU, make sure it's done properly! i know it seems obvious but still, there's people out there who seem to want to cut corners and just do down right stupid things!
i will recomend the guy who pulled out the EMS out of my car. He's a good mate of mine but it VERY well known in rotary circles for his auto-electric skills.

Now then, anyone want to buy and EMS? :D would work fine if tuned properly :D

tinkerbell
18-07-2005, 12:56 PM
sorry, I dont really understand what you are asking?

SINISTR
18-07-2005, 01:45 PM
EMS - Engine Management System.

Good post - bad experience.
Why don't you get the computer put on and tuned properly? you already found what the problems were - so by ractifying them and having the system installed properly you will get some gains.

If you do want to sell it on the other hand Marketplace is the place to put this but also some more information might be needed as to the type of EMS it is: AEM or other?

cheers
Mike

tinkerbell
18-07-2005, 01:48 PM
i think you will find that EMS is the brand dude ;)

http://www.zip.com.au/~pem/enginemanagement.htm

SINISTR
18-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Ok LOL - didn't know that :P forgive me

still - why not just get it tuned properly...

rev-tech
18-07-2005, 06:01 PM
tinkerbell, sorry, wasn't a question....just a first hand re-count of what happens with trying to fix something dodgy

As for tuning, if i was keeping the car i would most definately get it pu tin properly and tuned. Would make a nice little increase. But i'll get more money if i sell separately.
As said, yeah the brand is an EMS :)

i'll put it up for sale soon as soon as i find a little more info about it, since i bought it with the car i don't know what type it is or ow old it is. So i've got to call up/e-mail EMS with some code thats written on it and find out as much info as i can :)

tinkerbell
18-07-2005, 08:51 PM
hmmm, ok, yeah, bodgy jobs everywhere i guess,

all i can say is make sure you 'solder and heat-shrink' the wires properly, not 'twist and tape', lol!

Limbo
19-07-2005, 02:01 PM
sounds like my issues with my wolf 3d when i had it in my corolla, dodgy install and the thing drank petrol, killed plugs but was quite quick. Idiot only tuned it once on the dyno and then told me he tuned it for hours. I took mine to another tuner and he adjusted the tuning within an 1 hr so so. They can drove that much better that it was the best $100 i ever spend on that car. The guy goes by the name Hitman and he does alot of tunes for different ecus. You should look him up. He's in Sydney. Will tune your are using a wideband airmeter while your driving.

My wires were worse not even soldered properly. Some joints even fell off!!