PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or B16a??

fusion_VTi
10-02-2004, 10:54 AM
I am currently tossing up whether to turbocharge my current d16y8 SOHC vtec engine or replace with a B16a. i am leaning towards the turbocharge firstly because its not done too commonly and i would see larger gains than just 22kw from putting in a B16a. im just wondering what the pro's and cons of these choices would be, cheers guys

Weq
10-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Lol, u already know my answer. Insurance was cheaper, conversion cheaper and i beat a modded b16a(ek vtir coupe) on my first run non-intercooled @ 5pounds.

fusion_VTi
10-02-2004, 12:35 PM
hey Weq how much all up do you think your conversion cost if you dont mind me asking.. can you send me some piccies? i wanna get serious with this engine fark swapping them they're not bad in turbo form + i wanna hear the sound of a blow off valve from under my hood >:-)

poid
10-02-2004, 12:43 PM
i agree with Weq, turbo it baby :)

you'll learn a bunch doing it as well (well, i have and its not even finished yet:) )

funnily enough its been easier to find an insurer willing to insure the car with a turbo conversion than when it was simply lowered + rims on. And the cost isnt much more either

Weq
10-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Everything u need to know about my conversion is outlined here.. My best adice though is reasearch, and plenty of it.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=246652

All work was done by myself and mates which kept costs to a minimal.
Insurance wise, if u have a clean hitsory, i am paying less with justcar's then i would be paying with aami for a stock car with 30%more NCB. How thats worked out, i have no idea!

MTX BOY
10-02-2004, 06:52 PM
hey both are good but im going for the turbo. I will hopefully have my turbo engine in a couple of months not a honda engine though :D

[[d a n n y]]
11-02-2004, 11:10 AM
turbo'd civic will b a ripper lolz

but i prefer N/A lower onsurance as well

and less turque steer around corners

McChook
11-02-2004, 11:19 AM
turbo civics suck, spend the same money on a B20 VTEC...

Weq
11-02-2004, 11:35 AM
turbo civics suck, spend the same money on a B20 VTEC...
Id like to see u try... and they id like to see u try and pass me.

fusion_VTi
11-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Nah Turbo is the way to go mate, theres no point in swapping an already awesome engine. I wanted to get a 180sx instead of the civic but now i can have the best of both worlds. what engine is B20B anyway, CRV?

[[d a n n y]]
11-02-2004, 12:28 PM
yeap CRV

fusion_VTi
11-02-2004, 12:54 PM
last time i checked a CRV wasnt exactly the fastest performance car on the road. i'd prefer a turbo anyway, blowoff valve + front mount would look heaps tougher than just a bigger motor and it'd be faster too :-D

VTECnique
22-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Yeah bro, im going to turbo my civic (D16Y4), was thinking of doing it up N/A style, but naaa, whats better than the sound of a turbo making boost???

VTEC16
22-02-2004, 04:10 PM
.....since you posted this in 'all motor' , im gonna try and convince you to stay all motor :P

last time i checked a CRV wasnt exactly the fastest performance car on the road. i'd prefer a turbo anyway, blowoff valve + front mount would look heaps tougher than just a bigger motor and it'd be faster too :-D

Actually a B20 vtec is a CRV block with a B16a head.....makes more power and torque than a ITR. I suggest you look into it....people have gone pretty fast with these motors....

click here for B20 discussion (http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2153&highlight=b20)

DynoDave
22-02-2004, 07:31 PM
I would stay N/A and build a B20VTEC, turbo's are fun and I have built a heap of them, but there is no challenge in putting them together. And there is no greater feeling than beating some smart arse in a run with his or her turbo car with your N/A rocket, just ask ALLMTR how many people come up to him at the drags and ask him how much boost he is running or where,s the intercooler. You should see the look on there face when you tell them No TURBO No NOS its an All Motor car they just walk off shaking there heads its PRICELESS.Just one thing more at the Sydney drag combat I was told there where 2 N/A Honda's running 13.7's and one of them was a B20VTEC powered Integra and the other one was a B18C powered EK4 Civic. people are starting to work out how to get an N/A FWD honda down the drag strip in this country now.
Regards Dyno Dave

Weq
22-02-2004, 09:11 PM
I would stay N/A and build a B20VTEC, turbo's are fun and I have built a heap of them, but there is no challenge in putting them together. And there is no greater feeling than beating some smart arse in a run with his or her turbo car with your N/A rocket, just ask ALLMTR how many people come up to him at the drags and ask him how much boost he is running or where,s the intercooler. You should see the look on there face when you tell them No TURBO No NOS its an All Motor car they just walk off shaking there heads its PRICELESS.

Back to their car with full stereo system and interior, climate control and all the luxries of a modern car, then laugh at him.

I'm not saying a b20v isnt a good comination, i'm just saying u can spend X amount less and get a better performance with a snail.

2ds
22-02-2004, 09:52 PM
I'd say it all depends on how far you want to go. I hear alot of people say
"it's only an extra 20kw i'dbe better of going turbo or b18c" who havn't driven a b16a.

Try one out, see how it goes, i think you will find it supprisingly enjoyable.

now, if you only want to boost your d series, go for it. if you are planning on taking it alot further in the future a b series swap might be the first thing you want to do. then go for the turbo, etc etc

-2ds

DynoDave
22-02-2004, 10:13 PM
So Weq how much do you think that Tinkerbell has spent on his B20VTEC setup it was his Integra that ran 13.7 and has made 109kw ATW.I know what you are saying about ALLMTR's car yes it is very light but that is what it takes to get a FWD N/A car to run ET's but Tinkerbells car was in street trim when it ran as was the EK4.
Regards Dyno Dave

Weq
23-02-2004, 12:39 PM
I think what tinkerbell payed for his setup, and what this guy would pay for a similar setup would be a whole lot different... As it goes, i understand tinkerbell works for a well known workshop, and builds engines? Am i wrong?

I have nothing against b20vtec's, they are a tough block.

Weq
23-02-2004, 12:43 PM
"it's only an extra 20kw i'dbe better of going turbo or b18c" who havn't driven a b16a.

I admit it, ive never driven a b16a, all i know is i beat one pretty convincly, non-intercooled, non-vtec, at 5psi.

now, if you only want to boost your d series, go for it. if you are planning on taking it alot further in the future a b series swap might be the first thing you want to do. then go for the turbo, etc etc

Thats a fair statement, in the long run you can get more power out of a non-built b-series. I would defiantly consider a b18+ varient if i was to throw a rod or piston, but other then that i really beleive the cheapness of a d-series makes em a bit more bang for buck.

VTEC16
23-02-2004, 12:48 PM

-2ds

Agreed...

The B16A is a total gem of an engine.....there is more to engines than their power output.....

ALLMTR
23-02-2004, 05:42 PM
i understand tinkerbell works for a well known workshop, and builds engines? Am i wrong?

Bahahaa, wait til T see's this hehehe

"Tinkerbell Race Engines, can I help you?"

DynoDave
23-02-2004, 06:10 PM
I think what tinkerbell payed for his setup, and what this guy would pay for a similar setup would be a whole lot different... As it goes, i understand tinkerbell works for a well known workshop, and builds engines? Am i wrong?

I have nothing against b20vtec's, they are a tough block.

That comment will make him feel REAL GOOD.
Regards Dyno Dave

fusion_VTi
23-02-2004, 07:00 PM
hmm ok..so the general consensus is to put a B20 in my car..? I think i will go the turbo route i like my motor and wanna just bolt on some go fast bits :P

Weq
23-02-2004, 07:55 PM
i guess i'm showing my lack of knowledge.. or i take comments to seriously.

ALLMTR
23-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Someone actually said T builds motors professionally hehehe

This is fun baggin T and he hasn't found this thread yet BAHAHAHA

Nah honestly, If I was after the best carport built motor in the country, I'd go to Tinkerbell BAHAHAHAHA

Oh my god, I can't stop

(I hope T takes this the right way)

Seriously, I'd have no probs running a T built motor

I reckon you should go turbo

Weq
23-02-2004, 11:52 PM
defainte prop's to tinkerbell then, i didnt know half the story of his car. dave filled me in, would of been a fun project no doubt.

onabuzz
30-08-2004, 10:12 PM
turbz it babi.... aghooo

honda_b_blastn
01-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Honestly mate do what you want,whatever makes you happy,it sounds too me that ur really after that bov noise more than a performance gain. Either way its going to cost you dollars.