PDA

View Full Version : EG si or EG vti?

Jazzle
19-07-2005, 01:47 AM
hey guys, need your help... I am thinking of buying a 2nd hand car.. and is thinking of either an EG or EK...
EK vtir is abit too expensive to me as my budget is around 10000 (preferably lower).... so I guess I will probably just get an EG with lower Ks..

i have so far testdrove a Vti and a Si.... the 2 cars feel so different... for some reason the Vti felt super light.. the steering, the gear, the clutch.. is it normal?? whereas the Si felt more solid..

which one do you guys prefer? si or vti?? to me reliability comes first then performance then look

and what should i be aware of when looking at the 2 cars??

Thanx in advance for helping

ps. i have seen threads discussing similar issues.. so please forgive me for bringing up another thread again... :D

egSi
19-07-2005, 07:40 AM
get an si man, quality lil performer :thumbsup:

zc>y1

type one
19-07-2005, 08:26 AM
hmm ok i will put in with my you should do the vti... cos it has vtec yo, screw the DOHC cam, who needs more torque.

honestly just get the one in better condition.

SiR JDM
19-07-2005, 08:55 AM
unelss your buyin an import vti, the vti will have a sunroof. If that is something your after, then you should grab that.

It really depends what your after. They are both similar cars. As type one said, you should probably just get which ever one you can find in better condition. Its been while since ive driven and Si, but ive driven the VTi recently and its a quality EG for daily driving. Great base car for future plans if you have them (FI/Engine Conversion), but just as great if your planning on just using it as a daily.

badsector
19-07-2005, 08:56 AM
I'd have to say the SI. VTI is not all that quick even though it is VTEC. Quote me if i'm wrong but the SI pumps out more power? Have been in friends SI with full exhaust, and another friends with a VTI with a K&N airfilter. VTI definitely roars with VTEC but my opinion, SI definitely feels like a quicker and a better ride.

Why not hold the money for a couple of months and save up for a EK4? ;)

Or how about a yellow EG civic with a B16A, definitely better than than the SI or VTI ;) Car is from Gold Coast has 5 months rego, rebuit engine, more details on the link. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72450&item=4562910456&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Jazzle
19-07-2005, 10:07 AM
i know Si and Vti r 2 very similar cars. but from wat i have seen.. the Vti feels so light.. just wondering if it's normal... coz if it is.. i think i would prefer the driving feel of the Si more....?

egSi
19-07-2005, 10:07 AM
hmm ok i will put in with my you should do the vti... cos it has vtec yo, screw the DOHC cam, who needs more torque.

honestly just get the one in better condition.

shall me battle? vti vs si? ;) :p

yeah man BOTH are sweet lil rides, i agree, get the better condition on and do well thought out and simple mods :thumbsup:

garett
19-07-2005, 10:37 AM
if it feels light its probably just that car... all cars feel different the next si you drive may feel light to drive to depends on the suspension set up tires etc. they have exactly the same set up/ same chassis just a different engine. i honestly would prefer the si over a vti, i know the vti has vtec but its old mans vtec.

fusion_VTi
19-07-2005, 10:43 AM
if it feels light its probably just that car... all cars feel different the next si you drive may feel light to drive to depends on the suspension set up tires etc. they have exactly the same set up/ same chassis just a different engine. i honestly would prefer the si over a vti, i know the vti has vtec but its old mans vtec.

yea but still, 96kw from a SINGLE cam 1.6 is pretty dam impressive dude

Rufes1
19-07-2005, 10:46 AM
I think weq's VTI did about 66kwatw off boost then 127 or so at 8psi with a basic turbo kit.

Dont know if the ZC's would respond as well if you are thinking about taking the engine further.. Maybe someone knows?

I like the vti's theyre good cars and sunroofs rock

bennjamin
19-07-2005, 11:02 AM
the d16a8 is a very nice little engine and you can do alot of small time mods to increase response ( I/H/E + light flywheel etc) The ZC/d16a8 is known to repsond quite abit better to a turbo setup. Si's are great daily drivers and quite good for the bang for buck. You can keep up with inexperienced EK4 drivers nps :)

I remember seeing the vti had 1nm more torque than the d16a8 ( 144vs145nm ). Still - equal drivers will see the d16a8 pull away from the vti on all accounts it seems ON THE TRACK :)

BUT the vti is a newer car and the interior is slightly better.

fusion_VTi
19-07-2005, 12:08 PM
its not really worth arguing about which motor has more torque they both got none lol. i'd get whatever was in the best condition and also the price being asked.

spoondc2
19-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Sorry to ask, but i still dunno what's the difference between a Si and Vti?
any specifications?

EG5[KRT]
19-07-2005, 12:57 PM
i own a vti but i find that it has not alot of torque... until u reach vtec its pretty sluggy...

dunno about a si

ive driven a mazda dohc and it feels pretty responsive whereas the vti on civic is only good when vtec kicks in.

Lukezen27
19-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Sorry to ask, but i still dunno what's the difference between a Si and Vti?
any specifications?

bubble shape 91-93 Si DOHC None VTec 96K at the fly & No sunroof
bubble shape 93-95 VTi SOHC VTec 96K at the fly & Sunroof

I think its a bit harder to find aftermarket parts with the Si as its an older car but ppl thinks its a bit quicker than the VTi

Am I on the money?

Or you could just look here http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2

hehe

LukeZeb

newmski
19-07-2005, 01:41 PM
i own the eg Si
i've driven a eg vti, vtir, and the non vtec SOHC "gl"?
if ur tossing up between the two "Si amd Vti" i would have to go with the Si.
the Vti felt bad down low when i drove it (honestly this is not bias or anything". i rekon the Si has a nicer power band... Wat mods are u thinking of doing?
probly just choose the best option "price km's condition etc"

**Ghost**
19-07-2005, 03:02 PM
u in melbourne or sydney? cos if melbourne good luck finding a Si :)

hoonda
19-07-2005, 03:05 PM
I'd have to say the SI. VTI is not all that quick even though it is VTEC. Quote me if i'm wrong but the SI pumps out more power?

quoted! both 96 KW.

i think the Si has more of a reputation as the performer, but ive driven both and they are pretty much the same. i would personally go the Vti as it has a sunroof plus a few other things. Also its vtec, and it may be SOHC but it still sounds like good! And like others have said its a better platform for future mods.
But i might have a biased opinon on this topic, my car is (well used to be) a Vti..

ultimately, as others have said, just check condition.

food for thought- alot of old grandmas drive vti's, whereas the Si is more likely to have been flogged by someone..

Jazzle
19-07-2005, 05:55 PM
well from the paper,, the vti has 1nm bigger maximum torque.. but that's the maximum it can reach only... i feel that the Si is more responsive and torquey throughout low revs... or maybe that's because the Si i drove is in better condition than the Vti (dont understand the lightness still as both cars are genuine, no mod)...

im from sydney.. i still have to look around i guess.. to find one in the best condition and best price haha im not in hurry.. thanx guys for ur help

aimre
19-07-2005, 06:45 PM
there both "slow"

just get whatsever is more comfortable (ie sunroof) and whichever is in better condition.

i have a vti, there a good alround comfortable car..... for speed, im buying a motor bike.

fadz
21-07-2005, 10:07 AM
vti's are gr8...get one if u can get ur hands on one.

jdmlvn
21-07-2005, 10:10 AM
ek vti is better choice.. d16y sohc vtec YO!

Lukezen27
21-07-2005, 06:22 PM
ek vti is better choice.. d16y sohc vtec YO!

Both are SOHC VTec Yo!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Sorry but the D16Y8 is a weaker engine than the D16Y1 at high RPM :thumbdwn:

Or so the Yanks say…… blow em all the time http://www.d-series.org/forums/?

But they don’t seam to have the some problem with the older D16Y1 :thumbsup:

Plus the bubble (EG) shape kills EK’s any day of the week EG :p :p :p :p

Captiva_Blue
21-07-2005, 07:20 PM
I drove several EG Si's and VTi's before settling on a very nice EG VTi. They both feel like the same car to me. My "bum dyno" tells me that they have the same power, same torque (with the same feel to the delivery) and the same handline prowess. If anything, the Si felt a little more understeery in the wet (I would guess because the engine weighs a little more being DOHC and all). For comfort (and wank factor) get a vti because many more of them seem to be fitted with A/C and they have a sunroof. You are also more likely to find a VTi with sub 150000km on the odo that hasn't been modified and thrashed than you are an Si. I found mine (94 VTi) for about 9 grand with 100000kms and immaculate paint and interior with no mods. It is very reliable and very comfortable and is happily faster than most small hatches on the road from that era. Picking between two is like picking between Heinze or Rosella tomato sauce, in the end you'll just end up liking one better.

typicalmale
21-07-2005, 07:21 PM
the Si: 1.6 dohc producing 96kw without the vtec
the VTI: 1.6 sohc vtec 96kw @6600prm
plenty of low-down grunt as well as good top-end for performance.
also the VTI has better fuel consumption.

though ive herad the Si packs a better punch..
so i'd go for the Si

aimre
21-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Whichever u find in better condition... buy that

sivic
21-07-2005, 10:51 PM
. For comfort (and wank factor) get a vti because many more of them seem to be fitted with A/C and they have a sunroof.
all si's have a/c. they were top of the range before being replaced by the vti

SiR JDM
21-07-2005, 11:34 PM
i also wanted to add .. ive owned 2 egs.. so when looking for EGs and seeing them around.. here in melb.. and Si hatch here in melb is no where near as common as the VTi. The VTi hatch are heaps more common .. Si are pretty rare here from my experience

aimre
22-07-2005, 12:10 AM
all si's have a/c. they were top of the range before being replaced by the vti

BUT no sunroof

VTi_b0i
22-07-2005, 12:18 AM
LOL why is everyone bagging out the VTi? lolz they are great lil cars... and power wise they are basically exactly the same... and yes VTi'z got nicer interiors and sunroofs :) thats the reason i bought mine :P and cause it was in gorjuz condition hehe cause for me, at the end of the day motor didnt really matter as i will more then likely change the motor to B16A or if not jus turbo the single cam...

dmdcivic
28-07-2005, 10:07 PM
yeah go the vti I've got one and it has all the electrics you need......with the grunt to back it up

fadz
29-07-2005, 08:11 AM
i bak the VTI with all the grunt and extras it has

bennjamin
29-07-2005, 10:47 AM
i bak the VTI with all the grunt and extras it has

its got less grunt and very few extras :confused:

fadz
29-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Better interior , sun roof
mines got sum grunt dnt kno bout the rest lol

_FeRiO_
29-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Dude go the vti

civicdacbiet
25-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Not sure if this has been covered, but will it be easier to do a b16a swap into an si than a vti since an si is oem dohc?
ie: Will you still need to purchase additional engine mounts to fit a b16a into an si like you have to with a vti?

Lukezen27
25-11-2005, 06:44 AM
Not sure if this has been covered, but will it be easier to do a b16a swap into an si than a vti since an si is oem dohc?
ie: Will you still need to purchase additional engine mounts to fit a b16a into an si like you have to with a vti?

I would think it would be eazyer for a VTi coze all the VTec wiringis allready done

bennjamin
25-11-2005, 12:15 PM
I would think it would be eazyer for a VTi coze all the VTec wiringis allready done

isnt the older vti ( 93-95) 0BD1 (as is the Si) - if thats the case then most has to be re-wried anyway for any other B series conversion ?
anyway dammit. Just buy a car ffs - both vti and Si are starting to show their age and also becoming rare ;)

Menzy
25-11-2005, 12:16 PM
go for the Vti ... as its different more style ... and engin sounds nice when taking to high rpms :D hehehe unlike the Si its jst a normal DOHC 4cyl engin ...get Vti ;)

egSi
25-11-2005, 12:18 PM
im pretty sure ur right ben in term of obd1 vs.....

Lukezen27
25-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Sun roof :D

Need i say more? :p

Nice to see you back Trav :thumbsup: have fun wherever you went?

KB
25-11-2005, 09:56 PM
They both make the same amount of power at around the same RPM (mid to high 6000's). Torque is very simular borh being 1.6. THey both have limited aftermarket support, with most D-Series aftermarket support being aimed towards the D16y8 that comes out of the EJ coupe making 93Kw.

D16y8 doesn't come out of the EK Vti. That motor is a D16y5, and makes the same peak power as its non vtec brother the D16y4 being 88Kw.

IMHO test drive a few, and get the one with the least KMS and have it checked out
by a MECH to see if its fuk'd. When myself and Mek go down to the drags soon, we can give you a good idea on SOHC vs DOHC, me haveing a D16y8 and him having a ZC, both with I/H/E and Clutch.

One more thing, if you do decide on the Si, you could always do a mini-me and put a Y8 head on it, then that opens up a door of possibilities with cams ect ect.

vteccoupe
25-11-2005, 11:26 PM
had a friendly drag wif my fren's EG Si sedan in my ex EJ8....from 0-70km/h i was abt 1/2 a car length in front...at abt 80-90km/h he started to gain on me...we both have same mods and i having 1 mre passenger than him...upon reaching 3rd gear his SI just creeps past me

Lukezen27
26-11-2005, 08:28 AM
One more thing, if you do decide on the Si, you could always do a mini-me and put a Y8 head on it, then that opens up a door of possibilities with cams ect ect.

I doint know you can put a SOHC Head (Y8) onto a DOHC block (ZC)????

civicdacbiet
26-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Can si engine mounts be used for a b16a since both are dohc or do you still need to purchase some b16a mounts or do some custom fabrication?

civicdacbiet
02-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Can anyone help me out on the last question?
Also, apart from the sunroof, what's this nicer interior ppl are talking about? What extra features do vtis have over si? Cruise control i'm guessing?

Lukezen27
02-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Can anyone help me out on the last question?
Also, apart from the sunroof, what's this nicer interior ppl are talking about? What extra features do vtis have over si? Cruise control i'm guessing?

No Cruise control in the AUDM VTi's

A.G.System
02-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Another thing to look at that a lot of people are forgetting is insurance and rego.

Being that you are in Sydney it may be something to look at.

Not so much to do with the extras teh car has but also the age of the car. Ive seen cars of same spec being a few hundred $ a year difference just due to one being a 92 compared to the other being 94.

Other than that id go for the car with Air Con and cleanest interior.(as long as the bodys are both good)
May not sound like much to some but if you have one with cracked dash or stuffed carpets the cost adds up fast.

egSi
02-12-2005, 09:38 AM
u need bseries mounts man

Photonic_Si
03-12-2005, 04:32 PM
I have had three types of engines in my car. so in essence, i have had 3 types of civic, actually 3 stock types and one hybrid. D15B7 (GLi) D15Y1 (G-Vi hybrid y8 head) D16Y1 (VTi) D16A8 (Si/Si CRX)

D15B7: Felt light and zippy. Reved quick up to 6500 limit. I felt i was driving a mirage or somthing like that.
D15Y1: hauled serious ass. The 1.5 rod-stroke ratio was awsome match with VTEC head. Sounded like a motorbike engine, and reved to 8000k w/ chipped ecu. no worries.
D16Y1: felt beefier. Sounded less screamy and more growley. Went to 8000k no worries.
D16A8: Smoked them all. Trav (EgSi) got me into doing this swap. I used a CRX engine for it and let me tell you, with a sick clutch, it fryed the tyres in the dry, all the way through second. The others couldnt hope to have been able to do this.

type one
03-12-2005, 04:53 PM
so do we have a car yet??? what is happening here?

bennjamin
03-12-2005, 05:01 PM
lol this is a never-ending question with the low-power D series boys :)

Get a honda ffs !

VTC-8OY
04-12-2005, 01:19 AM
man dun worry bout the Si theyre like breezes with a dohc motor lol :) , get vti, why would u want to torture yourself by losing the sunroof,power options etc over such little power difference.. plus vti's are newer, n least u can say "it's a Vtec YO!"

sivic
04-12-2005, 01:39 AM
??????
Si's have full electrics bar the sunroof.

Lukezen27
04-12-2005, 06:38 AM
??????
Si's have full electrics bar the sunroof.

Yup, that I know of

Trav will know for sure as he has one :)