PDA

View Full Version : 02 Sensor (heater) and JDM Cat with secondary O2 sensor ?

VT3C
19-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi y'all..

as most of you know, my swap is a JDM B16A into EG5 Civic..

with 98RON hitting $1.21 the other day and my car giving me poor milage thanks to poor idle and over-rich running thanks to an O2 Sensor (Heater) code.

Now.. When I did the swap, I've used the JDM 4-wire O2 sensor (located just before the cat) and is plugged into the JDM engine-harness.. which has 4 wires.

I cant remember for sure but I think my D16Y1 O2 sensor was 3 wire.. since I've used the D16Y1 Firewall Harness, I figure there may be a wiring issue from the shock tower plug to the ECU..

So which wires from the O2 Sensor should I have wired to which ECU pinouts ? I cannot find a JDM wiring diagram for the Firewall Harness and ECU pinouts :(

Also, When I did the swap I retained the D16Y1 Cat Convertor with no sensors within it. However I want to swap to the JDM cat as it is half the length and larger in diameter than the EG5 item.. BUT it has what I imagine is a secondary O2 sensor in it !?!?!?!!

obviously a sensor located in this position (cat) on the JDM model would have been wired to the ECU via the Firewall harness (same as the JDM MAP Sensor).. however I am not getting any codes for this unless it is related to the O2 (heater) code.

Firstly I wish to correct the 4-wire O2 sensor issue to hopefully rectify the code 42.. then secondly when I can afford to have my exhaust modified to fit the JDM cat, I need to know how to wire up the secondary O2 sensor.. or Do I ?? The fuel mixture would have to be over 15.0:1 maybe even 16 plus.. and I am sure I am being robbed by power from this. rich is safe, but it definately isnt best.. especially with rising petrol prices.

another point of possible interest is that on my RSM in power graph mode, at just over 7000RPM there is a noticable dip in the power curve and peak power is reached beyond this point but that power 'dip' is weird.. I cannot realy feel it on the butt dyno but on the RSM graph on all 'test' occasions and in different gears it appears.

Any help GREATLY appreciated !!!!!!

VT3C
20-07-2005, 03:56 PM
16 views no replies.. **BUMP**

VT3C
20-07-2005, 06:32 PM
well been searching my ass off.. is hard on 56K !!

anyway I think might have found a solution for anyone else who might have the same problem as me:

http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14242

ecu-man, Tinks etc.. feel free to take a look at the link andlet me know if u think this is right..

ECU-MAN
20-07-2005, 11:36 PM
one side of your o2 sensor heater goes to
A6 on the ecu O2SHTC

the other goes to
B1 and A25, IGP1, IGP2

on the O2 sensor
the white goes to
D14 O2S

the green goes to
D22 SG2

good luck :)

VT3C
21-07-2005, 02:51 PM
thanks ECU-MAN !!

will be trying to re-wire the O2 sensor tommorow.. will let you know if I am sucessfull..

fuel hit $1.25 for 98RON today :(

Civic Type R
21-07-2005, 04:17 PM
fuel hit $1.25 for 98RON today :(

Fu*k !:(

Illegal
22-07-2005, 12:57 AM
U.S. $2.35 for 93 octane. (we only have 87-89-93, sometimes 94)

Civic Type R
22-07-2005, 11:18 AM
but thats a gallon [Illegal]
1 gallon = 3.79litres
USD$2.35 = US0.62 = AU 81cents / litre.

btw 93 octane is their premium fuel - like our BP Ultimate

wynode
22-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Our BP ultimate is 98

tanghy
22-07-2005, 12:33 PM
au uses RON
us uses OCTANE
the #s are diff

Illegal
22-07-2005, 12:42 PM
wow, so 82 cent a litre, in a conversion to gallons (for me) means I pay in aus money for 3.79 litres, our 1 gallon, it would be like......I pay $3.07 for the same amount of fuel as you pay $4.73? (in aus money) if thats per litre you pay the $1.25 right?

Civic Type R
22-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Our BP ultimate is 98
lol .. i know that ;)

VT3C
22-07-2005, 01:20 PM
hahah yeah it's Gallons.. i'd be talking to Georgie Bush Jr if you were paying more for 'gas' in seppo's-ville that 'down under'.. anyway that's another topic ;)

Wired in the O2 sensor last night.. ended up getting IAT, TPS, CTS codes.. so I reverted wiring but kept the 'new' wiring.. got rid of those other codes but back to O2 heater Code..

Am goin now to go try another approach.. JDM v US v AUS wiring sux HAHAH..

Am going to re-wire the plug to the engine harness as 2 wires need to go off to 'other places' before they hit the ECU.. the other 2 wires stay wired directly to the ECU..

what a nightmare !! I just hope it works !!

Civic Type R
22-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Bede, we have Honda manuals here where i work covering your wiring problems.
Perhaps i could photocopy some pages ?

VT3C
24-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Adam, do you have access to JDM EG6 or DelSol Wiring diagrams ?

Aussie is no good for me :( although Aussie EG5 VTi wiring would be handy as I only have USA-spec wiring diagrams :thumbdwn:

OK..

I managed to get rid of the O2 sensor heater code so I assume that it is working properly now (??) however there is still an irratic idle.

so for the most part, now I have no codes.. it's weird driving without the MIL on hahaha.. but then sometimes - more often at night - it will throw a code.

yup, it's a code 23.. Knock Sensor.. and you guessed it.. that's the only thing I havnt wired in.. mainly cause my Knock sensor was swapped out by the workshop where my engine was stored before I picked it up.. but anyway..

Now there's a slight shudder when cruising in 4th at ~65km/hr and sometimes it triggers the code, however as far as I know it's not knocking.. feels like axle shudder but higher frequency if that makes sense.. My passenger's side lower mount is busted so maybe that is causing axle mis-alignment on the LHS.. not sure.

Although I have never had the knock sensor installed, this is the first time it's ever come on.. will the knock senso effect performance ? Aussie B16A civics and CRX's do not have a knock sensor and I know ECU-MAN said the ECU could be reprogramed to not recognise the knock sensor.. but surely it has purpose.

So yeah I think the O2 sensor is finally wired up correctly.. but now it's Knock sensor code time :(

out of interest, so far it seems my fuel ecconomy has gone from 14.5L/100kms to about 11.4L/100kms and on the RSM's power-chart functiuon my power curve is dead straight and feels faster on the butt dyno.. but at 7500 there is that little dip in the power curve again....?!?!?!

ECU-MAN
24-07-2005, 10:56 PM
the knock sensor is there to retard timming when your engine pings, fuel changes or what ever else could cause knocking. the factory knock sensor is average, the dudes in the states that bother with them use more sensitive ones. at the end of the day , run RON98 and dont bother with the knock sensor.

Civic Type R
25-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Adam, do you have access to JDM EG6 or DelSol Wiring diagrams ?

Aussie is no good for me :( although Aussie EG5 VTi wiring would be handy as I only have USA-spec wiring diagrams :thumbdwn: ?!

We have manuals for every car out there pretty much but nothing after 2000 for Hondas that ive seen.

I did see a EG and EK manual.

What pages are you after ?

VT3C
25-07-2005, 02:22 PM
the knock sensor is there to retard timming when your engine pings, fuel changes or what ever else could cause knocking. the factory knock sensor is average, the dudes in the states that bother with them use more sensitive ones. at the end of the day , run RON98 and dont bother with the knock sensor.

yeah I ALWAYS use 98RON.. but why am I only getting this code NOW ?? not before ? Like I said I cant hear/feel any knocking.. and from what I gather I should be able to hear it if it does it.

took her for a run to the shops last night and did an RSM Power-chart in 2nd gear and was the straightest power curve i've seen in my car and peak power was at 8040RPM.. and got all the way home without Knock sensor code showwing up.

I think i'll clean my plugs and then re-set my ECU again today and see how she goes..

I re-soldered up my old knock sensor and are going to try to put it back in and see what happens..

VT3C
25-07-2005, 02:25 PM
We have manuals for every car out there pretty much but nothing after 2000 for Hondas that ive seen.

I did see a EG and EK manual.

What pages are you after ?

hmm I have the Haynes Manual with a red EG coupe on the front.. but it obviously covers LHD and only SOHC engines.

If you have one for AUSSIE VTi or JAP SiR-II or JAP CRX Del-Sol SiR-II.. maybe the pages on PGMFI, Engine Harness, Engine sensor wiring Diagrams and maybe P30 ECU pinouts ? Has to be EG/Del-Sol though as it has to be OBD1.. EK4 SiR's etc are OBD2a :(

I've had absolutelty NO LUCK finding these resources, but if you have them would be greatly appreciated.

Civic Type R
25-07-2005, 02:33 PM
I will have a look soon.
I know one of them has B16A engines in it.

ProECU
25-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Seriously Bede

just disable the knock sensor, its overkill not requierd.
I dont even run one on the turbo B16.

I'll ship you a modified eprom and you can see for yourself.

shoot me an email, we can discuss where we left off

VT3C
25-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Seriously Bede

just disable the knock sensor, its overkill not requierd.
I dont even run one on the turbo B16.

I'll ship you a modified eprom and you can see for yourself.

shoot me an email, we can discuss where we left off

hahah yeah I think i'd rather that than ~$200 for a new Knock sensor.. You'll get to know me that I will always try to fix things first before I outsource ;)

but yeah I think a disabled knock sensor will just make life easier.. Tax Return comes in soon, so we can sort out something :cool:

am writing u an email now..

Civic Type R
25-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Bede, I got the Haynes Civic, CRV and Integra 96 - 00 manual. It covers DOHC VTEC engines.

VT3C
25-07-2005, 04:16 PM
hmm 96 and on is OBD2 :( but then most the other DOHC VTEC stuff that is not electrical related would be suitable.. like clutch etc.. but unfortunately the Haynes ones are LHD and USA-spec (emmissions).. so unfortunately a lot of differences in the electrics.. sigh.. JDM sucks yo !! haha

Thanks for that, will let you know..

Civic Type R
25-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Yes it is USDM ... :o

VT3C
29-07-2005, 07:32 PM
dang wired in 1k resistor to a ground for the Knock sensor and no joy.. still getting code 23.. but strangely it feels more torquey down low.. unless that's the O2 sensor 'learning'..