PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter stuff...changing, flushins fuel lines...HOW?

bennjamin
08-09-2003, 03:52 PM
HI all - as the next step in replacement for my EG5 civic...its time to change the fuel filter and relevant bits !

Does any one have a rough idea ( safe) way of doing this ?Do u have to run till empty, then disconnect and just bolt on or ?
The location is under the car, next to one side axle...thats all i know.

MY car is running low fuel preassure, so i will replace the filter, and clean out any deposits in the lines...Any one have a HOW TO ? ???

Thanks ! Ben :)

wynode
08-09-2003, 04:05 PM
fuel filter is not under the car. It is near your clutch cylinder (the part that sticks out of the firewall. Follow the fuel line into the fuel rail.

Roughly, you disabled the fuel pump (pull out fuse) and turn the car over untill it stalls (to get ride of fuel in the line.

Then unscrew the fuel filter and replace it. Be carefull to not let any electric charge near the area.

Thats a rough guide on what you have to do. If you have the time take some pics for the tech/how to sticky :)

-W

EDIT: Added image

http://members.optusnet.com.au/winodh/stuff/intake.jpg

bennjamin
08-09-2003, 04:47 PM
yet again...Wynode saves the day...:P

Cheers for the info bro - ill for sure take sum pix if u want them :)

Just another thing- whcih fuse do i take out ?

Under the sterrign wheel fuses - none are the fuel pump- in the engine bay, next to the firewall on the passengers side, the fuse box desnt have a sticker on the top to show the location of which fuse does which....
Help ?

Ben

wynode
08-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Under the sterrign wheel fuses - none are the fuel pump- in the engine bay, next to the firewall on the passengers side, the fuse box desnt have a sticker on the top to show the location of which fuse does which....
Help ?

Ben

I haven't actually looked myself :shock:

Looks like your label has fallen off. I'll take a pic of it and let you know as soon as possible (prob tomorrow!).

Unless someone else can beat me to it!

Calvo
08-09-2003, 09:47 PM
look on the underside of ur ECU box lid, on my accord it has another map under the lid incase the top sticker falls off.

Weq
09-09-2003, 03:04 AM
lift up ur back seat, u should be able to disconnect the fuel pump from thier, otherwise take the fuse out. Graba haynes manual, its the bush ammuter machanics best friend..

wynode
09-09-2003, 10:37 PM
How'd you go Ben?

Still need that piC?

bennjamin
09-09-2003, 10:46 PM
still waitin...i called 2 mates with EG5's...but both have no stickers too !

Pfft...it should be ok - there are several ways to change ur fuel filte anyway-without disabling the fuel pump.

Wynode...being the tech master - where can i get some info on the ECU of our cars ( EG5) ? I am goign to rip out the carpet 2mrw, and see what LED code it is flashn at me...also apparetnyl there is a fuse wiring diagram upon the ECU as well?!?

Anyway...if u get around to it- i'd like a foto.

Cheers, Ben

crx_16x
10-09-2003, 06:11 AM
bennjamin what engine do you have in your car? do you know what ecu?

bennjamin
10-09-2003, 04:15 PM
in reply...I have a EG5 with a D16a8 DOHC engine...no idea whatsoever of the ECu that i have...it is stock - thats all i know.

All i know, is that to check the code that it is hitting me with is thru the LED in it...

Any help - cheers. Ben

wynode
10-09-2003, 07:15 PM
Hey ben,

I had a look and there isn't a fuse for the fuel pump. I think you'll have to lift up your back seat (or whereever it is in the hatch) and disconect the fuel pump directly.

That should allow you do depressureise the fuel line.

NOTE: WHen it was done on mine nobody depressuised the fuel line. THe fuel filter was just unscrewed and replaced (but you didn't hear that from me, and I DO NOT recommend you do it!) :D

Jnr Teggy
10-09-2003, 07:20 PM
benjamin: have you enquired with a mechanic as to the cost of them replacing it?...perhaps you should?

cheers!

bennjamin
10-09-2003, 07:48 PM
lol @ Wynode....i know "what" you mean....i began to take it off the other day , unscrewed the first small screw...and a small gush of fuel spat me in the face lol...tastes not so good. :x

After the ignition is tunred off, the fuel pump ceases to work - so the amount that gushed out was minimal. I had no problem with doing this Until i couldnt undo the 2nd bolt...a 12mm sized one under the smaller bolt.

I think ill just take it to my dads mechanic 2mrw...and he'll change it for nuthin.

Anyone had any info yet on ECU's ? ? ?

Cheers, Ben

toE
10-09-2003, 09:44 PM
hey wynode..that pic u provided..is that ur engine bay??

is that aluminium foil with wire straps around the air filter tube??

wynode
10-09-2003, 10:39 PM
hey wynode..that pic u provided..is that ur engine bay??

is that aluminium foil with wire straps around the air filter tube??

LOL......yes it is........I was bored oneday and was playing around....it has since come off (or disintegrated more like).

Gave me around 20kW.

EG_2_TEG
26-09-2003, 01:36 AM
in reply...I have a EG5 with a D16a8 DOHC engine...no idea whatsoever of the ECu that i have...it is stock - thats all i know.

I had a EG5 which was a EG Vti. ur's is a Si?

bennjamin
26-09-2003, 09:15 AM
hey dood...yeah - mines a EG5 Si....D16a8 powered DOHC good for 96kw stock.

Not too sure that urs is a EG5 too ?!? the first 3 symbols of ur VIN number clarify what kind of car u have....

Anyway ! I gotta get to study ! Ben