PDA

View Full Version : Next NSX to get V10!!

mikes94
20-07-2005, 09:03 PM
"We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era. We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V10 engine in 3 to 4 years. Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor." - Takeo Fukui (Honda President & CEO)

Source:
http://world.honda.com/news/2005/c050720_a.html

Wow! Sounds like Honda is ready to get serious about this supercar business! I'm speechless ... I was expecting a V8 at a stretch ...

ViHatcher
21-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Gonna be good to see major upgrade. Unfortunately, I notice right below mentioned about Civic production made from China. I hope this never reach here.. :(

Terry
21-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Gonna be good to see major upgrade. Unfortunately, I notice right below mentioned about Civic production made from China. I hope this never reach here.. :(

No matter where it located, every Honda factory will have high standard quality control.....besides that nowadays chinese also make Benz and BMW........is that quality really a problem?!:(

Shraka
21-07-2005, 10:21 AM
V10 huh... that could be cool. To bad I'll never be able to get my hands on one. lol.

I wonder if it'll be anything like the new BMW V10... 10 THROTTLE BODIES! WEE!

mikes94
21-07-2005, 11:01 AM
It’s interesting to note that F1 is moving from V10s to V8s as of next year. I would’ve thought that it would make more sense (from a marketing point of view at least) for Honda to develop a V8. One could argue that after being in F1 for 5 years or so developing V10s, that Honda has more experience with a V10 than V8. But really how much technology actually filters down from F1 to consumer vehicles? I suspect there is very little commonality (certainly in the valve train) between a road car revving to no more than 9000rpm and a race car revving to near 20000rpm! Despite this Honda should have plenty of experience with V8s from CART and IRL in any case!

Perhaps Honda doesn’t want to bow down to consumer pressure for a V8 … and what better way than to release a V10 instead!

Anyway that’s my little rant … I’ll forward to seeing the beast when released (even if I’ll never be able to afford one! :p ).

Usual Suspect
21-07-2005, 01:36 PM
It’s interesting to note that F1 is moving from V10s to V8s as of next year. I would’ve thought that it would make more sense (from a marketing point of view at least) for Honda to develop a V8. One could argue that after being in F1 for 5 years or so developing V10s, that Honda has more experience with a V10 than V8. But really how much technology actually filters down from F1 to consumer vehicles? I suspect there is very little commonality (certainly in the valve train) between a road car revving to no more than 9000rpm and a race car revving to near 20000rpm! Despite this Honda should have plenty of experience with V8s from CART and IRL in any case!

Perhaps Honda doesn’t want to bow down to consumer pressure for a V8 … and what better way than to release a V10 instead!

Anyway that’s my little rant … I’ll forward to seeing the beast when released (even if I’ll never be able to afford one! :p ).

where ya reckon VTEC came from?

mikes94
21-07-2005, 02:16 PM

Certainly not from F1!! If anyone tells you this it's a load of rubbish.

VTEC was designed for for road cars as it allows low rpm torque/efficiency and high rpm power - before this cams were designed as a compromise between the two.

Race engines however need only operate at high rpm meaning no compromise needed to be made. So road engines and race engines require a completely different philosophy.

In fact VTEC was being developed in the early to mid 80's completely separate from their F1 efforts (which also began about the same time). Some knowledge was used from Hondas racing + motorcycle heritage to allow high rpm operation but VTEC did not directly evolve from F1.

Check this out ... its a good read:
http://world.honda.com/history/challenge/1989vtecengine/

Kawasaki
21-07-2005, 02:25 PM
the v10 matched with an nsx style chassis would be a killer on the track and most likely a leader in its class

Shraka
21-07-2005, 02:41 PM
I'd be worried about the weight though. One of the drawcards of the NSX is that it's lightweight. A V10 would make the back heavier, meaning they'd have to weigh the front down (or deal with a high rear weight bias), making the whole thing heavier.

Then again, it's Honda. They'll probably make it out of some newage lightweight plastic or something and make it lighter than the 6 cyl engine the NSX used to have. :P

aaronng
21-07-2005, 03:53 PM
I'd be worried about the weight though. One of the drawcards of the NSX is that it's lightweight. A V10 would make the back heavier, meaning they'd have to weigh the front down (or deal with a high rear weight bias), making the whole thing heavier.

Then again, it's Honda. They'll probably make it out of some newage lightweight plastic or something and make it lighter than the 6 cyl engine the NSX used to have. :P
It's not really an issue because it is not an RR platform, but MR, so the weight is just in front of the rear wheels. Won't have a big problem with front weight bias (they can locate the battery in front, together with your tool kit and the extra reinforment for crumple zone in the front too) since the majority of the engine weight is in the middle rear and that the new engines are much lighter. Look at the BMW's 5L V10, it weighs only 240kg (Source) (http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2266/article.html), while the NSX (3.2L I assume), weighs 487lbs (221.36kg) (Source) (http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17915&highlight=engine+weight) With new technologies, it is possible to build a light but large capacity engine. If they put in F1 technology into the new NSX, the engine could be even lighter! The V10s in F1 weigh only 100kg.

Shraka
21-07-2005, 04:19 PM
You'll still have the issue, as the engine isn't in the perfect center. It's gonna throw the weight back a bit... But yeah, the new all alloy blocks are light as. The 1UZ-FE (Lexus V8) is lighter than the 2JZ-GTE from the JZA80 Supra, even if you put some aftermarket turbos on the 1UZ.

And they can't make their new V10 100kg. It'd wear out 2 quick. you gotta balance weight and durability... oh and price!

aaronng
21-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Assuming that the new V10 is similar in construction (weight-wise) to the M5's V10 and same weight, that is only an extra 19kg to balance. Since the extra 19kg is close to the middle, you won't need to balance with a full 19kg up front. To balance the weight, use the equation:
(Engine weight) x (Longitudinal distrance, engine from center of gravity) = (Ballast weight) x (Longitudinal distrance, ballast from center of gravity)

Since distance of ballast is larger than distance of engine, you'll need less ballast.

Shraka
21-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah, perhaps 5kg. LOL. Look, I'm sure Honda will pwn the design as per usual and it will pant juicing cool.

StOo
21-07-2005, 06:33 PM
"We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era. We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V10 engine in 3 to 4 years. Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor." - Takeo Fukui (Honda President & CEO)

No one is saying that it can't be a V8. They're only looking to debut the car with a V10... It's just a plan right now; It hasn't come to fruition yet, only time will tell. A V10 would be nice, however it may not be financially viable. Then again, isn't BMW releasing a V10 M5?

If they don't release a V10, it'll more than likely be a V8. Having said that though, the engine will probably be far from the V8 formula 1 engine that they're working on :p

panda[cRx]
21-07-2005, 06:44 PM

lol

^^v
22-07-2005, 12:55 PM
lolz @ vtec comment :D:D

anywayz im so so glad (n kinda releaved) to hear they're development a successor to the NSX...Honda needs a super car if they wanna compete... n with a v10.. *jaw drops* it'll be a world leader...
if u think about it.. the current NSX-R can keep up (if not go quicker.) around a track than the Lambos .. Ferraris.. n Porsches...
the only real downfall of the current model is its power n top end acceleration! it lacks badly in that field... but with a v10... problem solved (keeping in mind they stick with a light weight car)
:D

Shraka
22-07-2005, 01:52 PM
A V10 model would be great, but as commented, it's probably gonna come out as a V8, perhaps with a V10 option.

I think Honda 4.0ltr V8 power would be more than enough. Just imagine 2 K20A2s strapped together... 300kw anyone? Mwahahhaha!
Actualy it'd be cool if it used a similar head design to the K series, so you could put K series cams in it.

jackosimm
22-07-2005, 02:28 PM
don't have much to say on this, except AHHH stop killing me!! "I just want one" (screw you HSV)

Kawasaki
22-07-2005, 04:22 PM
A V10 model would be great, but as commented, it's probably gonna come out as a V8, perhaps with a V10 option.

I think Honda 4.0ltr V8 power would be more than enough. Just imagine 2 K20A2s strapped together... 300kw anyone? Mwahahhaha!
Actualy it'd be cool if it used a similar head design to the K series, so you could put K series cams in it.

...........???? ??

Shraka
22-07-2005, 05:28 PM
...........???? ??
Err, what's the question marks for?

redliner
22-07-2005, 06:42 PM
wooohooo NSX not dead afterall
cant wait to see the prototype

The-Genesis
24-07-2005, 12:08 PM
The mugen version of the legend with v8 with detuned to produce its massive 500 hp plus power. An NSX with a v10..... a monster indeed. Honda has always encouraged weight reduction in NSX and im sure weigth would not be a problem, they are going to ahve soemthing planned up there sleeves. Handling is honda main focus too. All we can do is wait for this v10 monster.

kenshin
24-07-2005, 12:15 PM

lol... certainly not from F1...

Terry
24-07-2005, 12:23 PM
V10 Vtec engine, MR layout, double wishbone all round......wow cant wait to see how it goes on track!:D

^^v
24-07-2005, 02:00 PM
hope they bring out a Type R version (omg how can they not!)...
will be interesting to see what the red line on this baby will be! ... looking back at last years april (fools) addition of Speed (i think).. they were saying something about a 11,500 red line!

EP3
05-09-2005, 06:28 PM
V10 with Vtec??

katanadave
07-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Hrmm.. I wonder how much it will be...

and how much fuel it would use... knowing Honda, prolly not much, considering the size..

viperx
07-09-2005, 10:53 AM
yes
No matter where it located, every Honda factory will have high standard quality control.....besides that nowadays chinese also make Benz and BMW........is that quality really a problem?!:(