PDA

View Full Version : 2 quick questions about audio install..

HOT4ME
10-02-2004, 09:26 PM
ive got all my audio gear, cables and wiring diagrams for my install which im doing on saturday. the only thing im still unclear about is

1)which wires i need to test with a test light etc. and why. i dont wanna blow my new stuff up.

2) and what exactly is a wiring harness and can i just wire the h/u directly to existing cables or is it ALOT easier to use a harness. where do i get one from?

madgrk
10-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Use a test light to see where power is running and what not. Also get a multimeter to see which wire is your ground wire. These two tools will save you from ruining your new head unit :)

A wiring harness is a much easier way (and a neater way) of attaching a new unit to an existing wiring loom. This way you can keep the existing plug that attaches to your old unit, and just plug on the harness so that it connects to your new head unit. This way you don't need to splice into wires, and just makes the overall job look a little neater/safer (dont want wires touching metal now do we!)

Hope this helps, and good luck with your installation! :D

vti-2
11-02-2004, 09:24 AM
You should ask on www.auscaraudio.com. Lots of experienced car audio guys on there always ready to help out. :thumbsup:

BlakTegra
11-02-2004, 12:59 PM
You can get aftermarket wiring looms (aepro) at a few automotive shops (autobarn, gary's car audio, etc...

I went to my Honda dealer and got mine for $12.50. Well worth it.

HOT4ME
11-02-2004, 01:53 PM
thanks guys,

do all honda dealers sell wiring harnesses or do they need to order it in? maybe ill just call up and ask....

CTR Coupe
11-02-2004, 03:05 PM
this site saved me alot of time. http://www.installdr.com/
its got the basics on how to install radio's etc. very handy site with PDF wiring layouts. saved me alot of time with the multimeter and the light. if ur not confendent with wiring just get the wiring harness its saves alot of stuffing around just plug and play basically

HOT4ME
15-02-2004, 12:44 AM
guys i did the installation today with my gf's help, and it took us a while but was pretty easy. only needed to hook up 3 wires through the h/u so no wiring harness required. :D

thanks for all the links, very useful..