PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - fuses

DomenEK
20-07-2005, 10:20 PM
I blew a fuse last night - the one for the taillights and parking lights (#32). I picked up another 2 from the servo, and plugged one in and all was fine. Until tonight, when it blew again. I plugged in the second one and it blew as soon as I turned on the lights :confused:.

I called RACQ and the guy came out and tested the circuit - it was reading 9.5 amps, which he said is unusually high...So he plugged in a 10A fuse (it originally had a 7.5A fuse) and all was running fine and I drove on home.

When I got home, I checked to see if all the lights were working fine, and this time, the brake lights were constantly on :confused:. Now, when the parking lights are turned on, the brake lights light up. With the parkies off, I step on the brake, and the dash lights up, and so do the parkies???

I've had the car 5 years now, and never blew a fuse...What is going on here?

Thanks in advance.

SiReal
20-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Obviosuly something is wrong with the circuit. We had this problem with our toyota corona. Check your light bulb holder socket. We had one of those go bad and hence the positive terminal was also connecting the negative terminal. Make sure there isn't any moisture inside those sockets which may be causing the +ive and -ive connection. Also see whether any of the wires near the light unit are worn down, or whether they've become detached from the plastic socket itself. Just so long as +tive stays away directly from the -ive. Thats all the help I can provide. I know its not much but I hope it helps anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

DomenEK
20-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Would the crossing wires also explain the dash lights and parkies coming on when I step on the brake?

ECU-MAN
20-07-2005, 11:25 PM
change your rear brake light globes, sounds like the filiment rails are melted causing funky things to happen.

DomenEK
20-07-2005, 11:32 PM
change your rear brake light globes, sounds like the filiment rails are melted causing funky things to happen.

I replaced one of them not so long ago....What ampage should they be, or are all brake light globes the same?