PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad recommendation...

joneblaze
10-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Hey all,

Am in need of some advice regarding aftermarket pad brands for my DC2. I just recently changed the rear pads (some aftermarket brand that Hanny's use... don't know the name...), and the OEM fronts are basically dead. I'm after something around the $100ish or under range, and have been recommended Bendix Metal Kings so far. Anyone else have any suggestions? :roll:

cheers,
jon.

Weq
10-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Honda sell the best pads for ur daily driver. Everything else will just chew ur rotor's or give less performance...
unfortunatly, ur looking at ~$150 for a front set, seeing as though padsfor my eg vti were $130

bennjamin
10-02-2004, 10:46 PM
$90 Bendix "metal king" stock replacements....stop a fair bit better than stockies...and cheaper too :)

And reember...watever pads u choose u should do a full flush and replace the fluid to fresh and squeeky new :)

joneblaze
10-02-2004, 10:56 PM
$90 Bendix "metal king" stock replacements....stop a fair bit better than stockies...and cheaper too :)

And reember...watever pads u choose u should do a full flush and replace the fluid to fresh and squeeky new :)

sssh... UR the recommendation. Don't repeat urself foo... i want other suggestions :P

Oh yeah, btw, as far as my driving habits go- mainly daily driving, with abit of "spirited driving" weekly. :)

So we got someone touting OEM (@$150 a set..ergh) as the best value, and another praising the aftermarket Bendix's.....
anyone else wanna join the fray? :roll:

Weq
10-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Bendix will stop u fine, but chew ur rotors. Ask all my friends, they are regretting them. Look at the quality of OEM pads and u will see what i am saying. Nissan boys love bendix/ebc cause stockies suck, they have no other choice :P
ive put em up back to back, and the OEM's come out on top. The only time u would use aftermarket is when going to the track, there are better pads which obsorb heat better.

eknine
11-02-2004, 02:01 AM
oem:) = best

fueltank
11-02-2004, 08:34 AM
Have you asked how much Ferodo DS2500 would be for your car?
They are awesome pads and you'll love them.
Doubt they'd be under $100 though.

genesis
11-02-2004, 09:46 AM
EBC ;-)

blackdc2
11-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Honda sell the best pads for ur daily driver. Everything else will just chew ur rotor's or give less performance...
unfortunatly, ur looking at ~$150 for a front set, seeing as though padsfor my eg vti were $130

I dont think so, EBC green stuff has better initial bite, and better pad fade, plus "green stuff" does not add any extra wear to the rotor

felixR
11-02-2004, 12:03 PM
RB74 from Race Brakes Australia.

Geek
12-02-2004, 04:31 PM
what about Bendix Ultimates? I have been told these r good..

Spunkymonkey
12-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Have you asked how much Ferodo DS2500 would be for your car?
They are awesome pads and you'll love them.
Doubt they'd be under $100 though.

I've got them on the front of my teg...very good but out of his price range....and besides they are designed to be more combo street/track pads. Over $200...can't remember exact figure ;)

bendix kings good...and same with ultimates...but yes they can be harsh on your rotors ...but I haven't had any complaints with using bendix on my car previously...car pulls up mighty well even before at track days with them on.

I've still got the same rotors that I had 3 years ago when I bought the car...I only had them ground down once originally when I bought the car...because they were slightly warped to begin with...and that was with the oem brake pads too.

besides...give you an excuse to change your rotors later on jon :p

oh and I've heard mixed things about EBC greens...good for hatches...but not as good for the medium to larger vehicles....heard too many conflicting stories about them (by people who sell brakes) to try them, and you won't get them in that price range anyway.

bennjamin
12-02-2004, 04:48 PM
as a general rule...the harder the bite (wamr or cold) the more wear of pad and both rotor....

Also depends upon the compound of the brake pads themselves...for example

I am running "bendix metal kings($90 front) - great pads , need alittle time to warm up , bite better than stock BUT if used for hard driving constant, will warp stock rotors like they were made out of cheese. (metal EXPANDS once heated remember)

Others - "bendix ultimates ($150 or so for front) are resin based - so will "warp " your rotor with excess resin melting onto the rotor after heavy useage - but the resin can be ground off easily.

Its just not adviseable to use RB74s or ultimates etc upon stock disc rotors...use "stock replacement" ( ie metal king etc) or OEM.

joneblaze
12-02-2004, 05:21 PM
hmm.. thanks for the advice guys (and girl :)).
Where bouts can i get my paws on a set of Bendix Kings?
I've been informed DBA Race Brakes, but they're out in merrylands/down south?
Anywhere nearer to me? lol...
i'm around Hornsby/Pennant Hills/Chatswood.... wouldn't mind trekking less than 25 mins to get new pads! :)

Spunkymonkey
12-02-2004, 05:40 PM
hmm.. thanks for the advice guys (and girl :)).
Where bouts can i get my paws on a set of Bendix Kings?
I've been informed DBA Race Brakes, but they're out in merrylands/down south?
Anywhere nearer to me? lol...
i'm around Hornsby/Pennant Hills/Chatswood.... wouldn't mind trekking less than 25 mins to get new pads! :)

have you tried popping in or calling your local spare parts place...often they stock them.

McChook
12-02-2004, 05:55 PM
what about Bendix Ultimates? I have been told these r good..

HELL YES

We use them on our race car with DBA rotors - bloody good for their price

joneblaze
12-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Yeah Q i'm going to call local tyre/brake places tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the place i get my tyres from stocks Bendix, just whether they'll have Kings pads for my dc2 is another story...

Are the Ultimates suitable for OEM rotors?

bennjamin
12-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Others - "bendix ultimates ($150 or so for front) are resin based - so will "warp " your rotor with excess resin melting onto the rotor after heavy useage - but the resin can be ground off easily.

Its just not adviseable to use RB74s or ultimates etc upon stock disc rotors...use "stock replacement" ( ie metal king etc) or OEM.

Just a fact... by all means get these upper mark pads- but they will not last as long , need time(see hard driving) to warm up , and have a high chance to stuff ur stocky rotors...(stock rotors,being solid will not dissipate the heat generated by these pads,(IE not designed for such pads) and thus over time in lots of warm-up/cool-down cycles they will tend to break.)
but gosh dam while the ride lasts it will be a fun one ;)

joneblaze
12-02-2004, 07:32 PM
*BANS KNOW-IT-ALL BENDIX SALES REP BEN FROM THIS THREAD*

:)

bennjamin
12-02-2004, 07:37 PM
*speaks in ghost like "im not really here coz im banned" voice*

Jon......Im against using bendix or any other race-style pads on stocky OEM....find me another stocky replacement like bendix metals ...and compare!

*back to teh OH limbo ....*

eknine
12-02-2004, 09:05 PM

Just a fact... by all means get these upper mark pads- but they will not last as long , need time(see hard driving) to warm up , and have a high chance to stuff ur stocky rotors...(stock rotors,being solid will not dissipate the heat generated by these pads,(IE not designed for such pads) and thus over time in lots of warm-up/cool-down cycles they will tend to break.)
but gosh dam while the ride lasts it will be a fun one ;)

ben's right and to add ...use the wrong ones and you get rotor wrap...i say stay with oems = best.....else might end up causing more

2ds
12-02-2004, 10:51 PM
I've got some sort of nissin pad on at the moment (i was lazy and breaks plus would do it right away) i have been quite happy with them so far. i'm not sure what was on my car before but they really sucked as far as initial bite went. it was hard to lock the wheels up when i was going @ 100+

i have one friend who has been very happy with his bendix ultimates so far.

I also seem to remember that this thread cropped up a while ago and a few people made posts on the green stuff pads saying the old compound they used was better than the current one. how valid this is i cannt say

-2ds

Spunkymonkey
13-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Yeah Q i'm going to call local tyre/brake places tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the place i get my tyres from stocks Bendix, just whether they'll have Kings pads for my dc2 is another story...

Are the Ultimates suitable for OEM rotors?

I'd say stick to the Kings. From memory they are about $90 for front, and about $60 for back.

stocky
13-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Nissin pads are the OEM honda pads.
Bendix replaced the Metal King range with Metal King plus.
Further, they werent designed to be used for hard driving, more for frequent driving and stopping and those wanting long wear out of their pads.
The only pad you should be looking at in the Bendix range if u want to use it for hard braking are the ultimates.
At a cheaper range, have u looked into Lucas brake pads, OEM to BMW, Merc and other European marks? Should be under $100 bucks.
Some think their good, Booget whilst others hated them, Gingangooly.

Geek
13-02-2004, 01:18 PM
The reason I was asking is cos was thinking of getting some rotors from Brake Distributors Australia and they recommended if I wanted new pads I go with Bendix Ultimate.. this is just for normal street use btw. and also no Im not changing my front rotors and pads at the same time before anyone says anything about that.

Civic Si
14-02-2004, 10:40 AM
I can get good prices on Bendix Pads if ur after them Jon?

I'd go OEM too! :nod: Can try and get cheaper than trade price!

Wat r ur specs on ur car again?

joneblaze
14-02-2004, 12:31 PM
My GSi's '95 model. :) PM/SMS me for any other specs (i dont know wat else u need...lol)
Thanks Hanson my man... :)
OEM would be great. I just need a new front set.

jon

2ds
14-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Nissin pads are the OEM honda pads.

Ahh, well that would explain alot. there were some really REALLY shit dodgy asbestos pads on here before >=/

-2ds

Redteg
15-02-2004, 12:24 AM
www.discpads.com are very cheap compared to Repco and such when it comes to brake bits, have a look at them. Ultimates for $104

I really needed a set of front pads and the only ones the Repco near home had available (I only had one chance to buy them Thursday) were the Bendix Advance. They're doing well so far, and thats with a bit of a thrashing. I was disappointed that they cost me $90 when off the net they are $65 or so. I'll repot my findings when I go for a bit of a sprint south on Monday :)

LatinoHatchCrap
15-02-2004, 09:32 AM
bendix ultimates :thumbsup:

joneblaze
15-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Umm.. are you running stock rotors Latino?
any problems so far?

revolution
15-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Hey anyone know how much it is to ground/resurface the rotors? Mine are warped to hell and the front brakes squeak a bit while in reverse....They are the same rotors I have had on my car since it was new 6 years ago...lol....