PDA

View Full Version : Those blue lights??

Rico
21-07-2005, 09:52 AM
I got a question for all you who have or know about those blue lights you see on the road. Recently my mate just bought some of those 5000k "Super White" headlight globes from ebay for like $10, now we both thought they were going to be like all those lights you see on the road which are like super blue (not the merc ones and beamer ones which are blue from a distance and white up close). Now these turned out to be like the ugliest white lights you have ever seen! Just....like...a seedy seedy white....pfft $10 no wonder!
Anyways I was in some car gear shops during the week and noticed theres like 10 different types of bulbs, each like around the 70-100 dollar mark. I was just wondering which ones or if its possible to buy these ones over the net which are super blue?
Cheers!

jamchen
21-07-2005, 10:26 AM
philips one are good but they are very, i mean very expensive...
but u won't get pure what light from those "supa-white" light bulbs... the blue light you see on benz and bimmers are becoz their projector headlight unit...
you get what you pay, if u have enoguh money, why not upgrade to HID which u won't live without again?

alphabeatsco
21-07-2005, 10:31 AM
is HID units only for certan cars? or u can remove it and install on other cars later on?

eg, one unit compatible with all cars...

joyride
21-07-2005, 10:42 AM
send a PM to egSi (trav) and ask him. he deals with that stuff.

jamchen
21-07-2005, 10:59 AM
is HID units only for certan cars? or u can remove it and install on other cars later on?

eg, one unit compatible with all cars...

yes if those two cars have same light bulb specs...

Rico
23-07-2005, 07:13 PM
So are HID lights those really blue lights? Aren't they like high beam globes? Would they fit a 94 accord?

panda[cRx]
23-07-2005, 08:04 PM
no they aren't high beam (although i guess u could for high beam but that's stupid)

the colour depends on the temperature eg. 3000k, 8000k etc

this is a pretty shitty pic but u get the idea

http://www.autorichtech.com/images/Colour_Tempature_diagram.gif

Rico
23-07-2005, 08:08 PM
yeah thanks panda thats what I was looking for! My mate had 5000k and they were ugly...but I heard anything above 5000k was illegal? Also wouldn't it melt the wiring???
or does HID give off the blue effect but at a lower temp?
e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=102560&item=4561953343&rd=1

ACTI0NMAN-1
23-07-2005, 08:41 PM
light temp colour - this has nothing to do with the heat output of the lights.

6000-6500k hid is whitest
8000-12000k hid is blue

13000-13500 hid is pink/purple

above 14000 is light you cant see.

sivic
23-07-2005, 08:47 PM
what melts wiring is using bulbs with a higher wattage than what the factory ones are. eg: stock honda bulbs are 55w. ppl use 100w bulbs and their wires burn out.
HID produces light at a low wattage. it produces light by creating an arc between 2 points where as conventional bulbs just use the resistance of a wire which heats it up till it produces light.
therefore, to produces a brighter light in regular bulbs you need a higher wattage. but the harness wiring also has resistance which means it will heat up form the extra current and burn out.
so in conclusion HID is A OK

redliner
23-07-2005, 09:39 PM
if you want lights like the merc or BMW you need to get it HID retrofitted.

fongyfong
23-07-2005, 09:57 PM
I got a question for all you who have or know about those blue lights you see on the road. Recently my mate just bought some of those 5000k "Super White" headlight globes from ebay for like $10, now we both thought they were going to be like all those lights you see on the road which are like super blue (not the merc ones and beamer ones which are blue from a distance and white up close). Now these turned out to be like the ugliest white lights you have ever seen! Just....like...a seedy seedy white....pfft $10 no wonder!
Anyways I was in some car gear shops during the week and noticed theres like 10 different types of bulbs, each like around the 70-100 dollar mark. I was just wondering which ones or if its possible to buy these ones over the net which are super blue?
Cheers!

oh man i just baught some of those cheap 10 dollar lights were they the ones made by maruta

Rico
23-07-2005, 10:05 PM
yep. RETRACT RETRACT!!

hmmm usually 8000k and over is hard to find, and on US ebay their going for like $US 250+ for the HID kit? Geez thats a bit much for blue tinged lights? but I want them sooooooo bad :(

Found some useful info on the colour temp:
Color Temperature: 5000K
5000K has an approximately 3200lm output, which is more than 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and is the color temperature with the most output. The light appears fairly white, and has light yellowish hue when reflected off the road identical to the OEM HID equipped vehicles. This color is for customers who is looking for pure performance white improving the looks of their headlight. It is idea for customers who does a lot of back road or canyon driving and need the optimal visibility. This is the color temperature that give you the most light for your bucks. Please note: most customers have a common misconception that the higher the K (Kelvin temperature) the brighter it gets, but in fact, it is the opposite. The K rating is inversely proportional to the light output, therefore the lower the K the brighter the light output. Also Xenon runs cooler and than your traditional halogen, therefore it will not melt your housing.

Color Temperature: 6000K
6000K has an approximately 2800lm output, which is 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and slightly less light output compared to the 5000K. Although it has a bit lesser light output, it emits pure whiter light with very slight and barely noticeable tint of blue and purple. Please note: most customers have a common misconception that the higher the K (Kelvin temperature) the brighter it gets, but in fact, it is the opposite. The K rating is inversely proportional to the light output, therefore the lower the K the brighter the light output. Also Xenon runs cooler and than your traditional halogen, therefore it will not melt your housing.

Color Temperature: 8000K
8000K has an approximately 2550lm output, which is about 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and slightly less light output compared to the 6000K. While it has a bit lesser light output, it emits bluer light than the 6000K. Please note: most customers have a common misconception that the higher the K (Kelvin temperature) the brighter it gets, but in fact, it is the opposite. The K rating is inversely proportional to the light output, therefore the lower the K the brighter the light output. Also Xenon runs cooler and than your traditional halogen, therefore it will not melt your housing.

Color Temperature: 10000K
10000K has an approximately 2200lm output, which is more than 2x the light output of the traditional halogen light. 10000K produces a deep blue light output approaching violet and the blue is noticeably deeper than the 8000K. Please note: most customers have a common misconception that the higher the K (Kelvin temperature) the brighter it gets, but in fact, it is the opposite. The K rating is inversely proportional to the light output, therefore the lower the K the brighter the light output. Also, Xenon runs cooler and than your traditional halogen, therefore it will not melt your housing.

Color Temperature: 12000K
12000K has an approximately 2100lm output, which is more than 2x the light output of the traditional halogen light. This color temperature puts out a deep bluish violet light and is deeper colored than the 10000K. It is for customer who is looking for the most extreme and most exotic looking light output. Please note: most customers have a common misconception that the higher the K (Kelvin temperature) the brighter it gets, but in fact, it is the opposite. The K rating is inversely proportional to the light output, therefore the lower the K the brighter the light output. Also, Xenon runs cooler and than your traditional halogen, therefore it will not melt your housing.

fongyfong
23-07-2005, 10:17 PM
oh man i just baught some of those cheap 10 dollar lights were they the ones made by maruta

CIVIX
23-07-2005, 10:42 PM
The one's egSi has for sale are real good value, it has a bit of a blue/white colour to it, and i reckon it has also improved the visibility...he maybe able to help you out...

fongyfong
24-07-2005, 10:23 PM
yep i fink i baught the same ones as you, thinking the same thing, the light has increased, but it aint the blueish color that i wanted

vti_ek9
26-07-2005, 12:08 PM
yup.....i had these blue/white globes on my rex n a couple off months later...the bloody globes melted the adaptor thing dat connects to the back off the globe.....i had 2 chop the adaptor off n buy a new one at autobarn...since then i've stuck with the standard gay yellow'ish globes....

fongyfong
26-07-2005, 12:16 PM
were urs the 10 buck ones from ebay?

vti_ek9
26-07-2005, 01:17 PM
nope...they cost me 30buxx from cyber centry.....

mj3610
26-07-2005, 01:47 PM
whateva u get they're gonna be ugli because u have yellow parking lights. u have to take out ur parking lights (noone will notice) cause they change the color of the headlights even if they're superwhite.i had the xenon ones from supercheap for $20 and i got defected on the 2 nd day i had them and the coppa was angry i had them. U can get the full blue parking lights from supercheap for $10 and makes ur headlights look more blue (if they're 5k or whiter). the phillips ones are on sale from autobarn for $39.95 and they have 50% more light from same power source.

vti_ek9
26-07-2005, 05:12 PM
aren't phillip bulbs like $100...there so expensive...but there ament to be one off the best you can get...

mj3610
26-07-2005, 05:44 PM
i dunno i just saw on the autobarn catalogue it had those lights and said a range to choose from , autotechnica phillips etc, maybe they were FROM $39.95???

vtek
26-07-2005, 06:07 PM
$39 phillips ones are the cheaper ones.. the best are diamond visions and they are 5000k and cost $140. ive had blue visions and they arnt blue. but if you cant afford 140 you can get crystal visions which are slighly blue, but nothing compares to the diamond visions unless you get HID.

SLPJCooL
11-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Stop wasting money buying H4 bulbs!!! Save up and get a HID conversion. Worth every penny :D .
If you REALLY can't afford HIDs then PIAA bulbs are ur best friend. They might be a little bit expensive than those "SUPER WHITE" bulbs off eBay, but you'll have a peace of mind that they're not gonna melt or discolor!:thumbsup:

Rico
11-08-2005, 09:55 PM
HID conversions are like $400? What process is involved in the conversion?

I was looking at 8500 Hid 9006 Headlights on ebay and thought ok well those look good, and it says H.I.D on the packet, and looks exactly the same as my headlight globes, so would those work/fit in my car or would I have to get the whole HID conversion to work them?

|N|
11-08-2005, 10:04 PM
i have HID for hi and lo beam

_Daniel
12-08-2005, 05:16 PM
if you got H4 Hi/Low I'm pretty sure its HID Low beam with a Halogen high beam filament.

viperx
12-08-2005, 05:24 PM
9006 is a size that they use in america, like h4. don't get 9006, it won't fit in your car.

these things say hid but they're not really, they are just supposed to produce a similar colour

_Daniel
12-08-2005, 05:33 PM
9006 is HB4, if you drive a DC2/4 it uses HB4 in its low-beam

viperx
13-08-2005, 02:04 PM
yes, but he drives a cd5. the american cd5 uses a 9006. the australian/jdm one uses H4 for low, H1 for high