PDA

View Full Version : New Thread disclaimer or New part of the website

McChook
10-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Guys,

I know I am not the first to be pissed off at this issue, it happens on every forums. But I am sick of people starting new threads and asking the same old questions every other day. I have two propositions

1) when people click " New Topic", make them read a disclaimer, which siply asks HAVE YOU DONE A SEARCH YET???. Or go into depth, and tell them to do a search before they start anew thread. I am sooo pissed looking at the same threads wih the same "which exhaust" or "engine conversion" questions. MAKE THEM SEARCH

OR

2) Set up a FAQ section, with a whole list of these same questions. listing their every option, so people can go to one section and find all this info without searching (since they obviously don't know how to).

Now, I know this will also be a time issue - I can;t really volunteer to do it - but I think it would be worthwhile for the members and mods sake

So mods, what do you think - Feel free to abuse me if you think that I am out of line or my ideas are dumb - my excuse will be operation and Panadine Forte... So I am safe if I am right or wrong...

Cheers
Matt

PS - this is hopefully not one of those repeated threads that I am discussing... that would be the ultimate in hypocritical

Rowie
10-02-2004, 11:48 PM
its not out of line matt :D Your a forumer and entitled to suggestions to improve the site :thumbsup:

Good idea, something needs to be done about repeat threads, theres no doubt about that.

Your suggestions will be taken into account, and any other suggestions are welcome.

McChook
10-02-2004, 11:59 PM
kool, thanks... someone had to bring it up.... makes me go :x when I see the same things over and over... And I thik it would best for everyone, since the people who ask the question won't have to wait for someone to answer - we can have generic answers ready :) !!

joneblaze
11-02-2004, 12:24 AM
I'm in agreement. Forumers who are new to cars or mods should have access to good info, but as previously mentioned, we've been FLOODED with multiple threads containing the same basic questions over the last few months, the most common offenders having to be the "engine swap/conversion" and "DIY CAI/Intake" threads..hehe.
Forums like PF and Team-Integra are very strict with issues like this (prolly becuase they've been around for alot longer and have already been on this path we're currently on) and have enforced a policy where your thread is deleted/flamed etc if you haven't bothered to read the Sticky and ask questions to which answers are already provided if you Search.

eg.

http://www.team-integra.net/misc/guidelines.asp
http://board.performanceforums.com

McChook
11-02-2004, 12:30 AM
I don't think we need to be so strict at this stage, but we need to fix it... PF is very strict about it, Hot4s aren;t.... lol hot4s the same questions come p everyday "chromies for my swift" "bodykit for my lancer" "CAI for my excel"

it has got to stop

eknine
11-02-2004, 12:32 AM
quickest way to solve this issue which has been going around for sometime now is whenever there is a repeated thread...as whoever come across first just have to simply put in a 4 words reply...

HAVE YOU SEARCH YET

and then the rest shall ignored till the person comes back with

"i have searched and came up with nothing conclusive..so pls help me noob"

IMO.....no need for FAQs, etc - if every forumer do their part in waiting for noobs to exhaust the search , problem will dismissed by itself:)

it has been worse b4 you came along McChook, and one of the nototious thread would have been the difference between civic this and that<laffz>...it went on for a good 2 months :D

joneblaze
11-02-2004, 12:33 AM
True. :)

McChook
11-02-2004, 12:38 AM
Maybe this should be a standard reply to repeat threaders....

http://www.ozhiphop.com/forum/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=15944&pid=209 142

whatchya reckon??

VTEC16
11-02-2004, 01:22 AM
Guys,
1) when people click " New Topic", make them read a disclaimer, which siply asks HAVE YOU DONE A SEARCH YET???. Or go into depth, and tell them to do a search before they start anew thread. I am sooo pissed looking at the same threads wih the same "which exhaust" or "engine conversion" questions. MAKE THEM SEARCH

I agree with this proposition......we could REALLY flame the bastards if they still posted a repeat-noob-question!

vti-2
11-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Well, that's what moderators are for guys/girls. We try to limit the amount of threads that are repetitive and as you have seen are locking them and linking to the relevant threads.

I can see how you guys might be getting annoyed at this issue but there's no need to get too worked up. Yes it happens on every forum and that's how it is. I think a FAQ is a great idea and will bring it up with the other admins/mods. A list of threads with the related topics would help heaps, especially for new members. :)

madgrk
11-02-2004, 10:15 AM
First of all, LOL @ THAT PIC hahahaha.

Anyway I would love to help out rearranging the forums if you want me to :) Just get all the sticky's from every car and make an FAQ out of it, and find some other interesting posts and use those too (after a bit of editing to take out pointless replies).

It's definently a good idea, because it'll be great to see some people writing up HOW-TO's on car related stuff, whether it be car audio (need more of it!) or technical :)

[[d a n n y]]
11-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Maybe this should be a standard reply to repeat threaders....

http://www.ozhiphop.com/forum/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=15944&pid=209 142

whatchya reckon??

u slack ****.. :P

wynode
11-02-2004, 09:24 PM
I Think Vic has pretty much covered it. IT happens on pretty much every forum. One thing is to make a sticky linking up all the common threads (its done on PGA).

If you'd like to get that started madgrk, it would be appreciated!

madgrk
11-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Yeah well i'll speak to Vic about it this weekend, and see what I can do etc. I'm not a PHP scripter, but i'm assuming this forum interface is php web based, and doesnt require coding anyway.. More to come soon..

eknine
11-02-2004, 10:43 PM
McChook. your pix make me LMAO.....thumbs up!:)

vti-2
12-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Theo, if you want just start a basic list for now and we'll incorporate it into the site. Yes it is all php. Anyway, talk to you at the meet.

McChook
13-02-2004, 05:07 PM
http://www.adultmovies.bz/forumexpressions/search.gif

my new weapon for n00bs

madgrk
13-02-2004, 05:40 PM
hahahaha im likin it man 8)