PDA

View Full Version : CAM Shaft Advice for Price

SINISTR
21-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Hi All...

I found out today that I can get 'blank billet' Cams made to suit any Mugen Style profile i want - installed and tuned for $1400. this is for a D16A8(ZC) motor in my CRX.

Is that a good price? considering normally cams would cost anywhere between $800-$1200.

Advantage of these over regrinds is that they are made from a Full Cam - unlike regrinds which use stock hollow cam which can become damaged or warped during the regrind process.

Also - what would you guys conside a good CAM profile for an internally stock engine - Stage 1 or 2? - any numbers perhaps?!

thanks

Mike

VT3C
21-07-2005, 02:48 PM
any Mugen Style profile

LMFAO.. I bet that's what the workshop told you ??

If you can get CAST BILLET BLANKS, best is to research what a good cam was for the ZC back in the day, then replicate it's profiles.. it should be possible to find info on th eLift and duration (etc) of the cams and then the workshop should be able to grind to those specs.

I know Mugen, Spoon, HKS, and possibly 5Zigen made Cams for the ZC back in the day.. get onto TOV forum and ask about ZC cam profiles.

but for any aftermarket cams, while we've seen decent gains and results from like Adams, Simon's and other motors that have decent mods and are running off stock ECU's, you'll need probably a port-flowed head, Adj Cam Gears, possibly raised compression and also at least a piggyback or re-flashed ECU Tune to get the most potential out of your cams.

Shraka
21-07-2005, 02:48 PM
I don't think stage 1/2/whatever means anything. It's just the name performance companies give to their cams and can be different from company to company (or so I'm told). You need to know lift and duration on inlet and exhaust to get a good idea.

Does the D16A8 have VTEC? If so you'd need to know the VTEC lobe lift and duration too for inlet and exhaust.

SINISTR
21-07-2005, 03:11 PM
well thats exactly what I said - any mugen cam profile - means they know what the mugen ZC cam profiles were - you pick and they make it. Dunno what you found funny in that? :P

I have Adj Cam gears already, and working on getting an ecu as well. I don't want to go too far with the profiles because that means exactly what you said - working on the other bits to make it all work - I don't want to do any headwork etc. Simply just have the cams in and tuned. Should make good power.

Shraka: I agree - thats why i asked if anyone knows good profiles for intake/exhaust in the mild type of cam.

D16A is a DoHc non vtec engine...

Shraka
21-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Good good. Just making sure.

bennjamin
21-07-2005, 03:22 PM
there was the fabled mugen 10/40 cams for the ZC engine ( plus MUGEN ECU , 1.7 stroker kit etc bringing the mighty 1.6 to 170hp apparently :)). SO maybe that is a start ?

10/40 = duration/lift or ? I'll find the specs here somewhere

SINISTR
21-07-2005, 03:29 PM
there was the fabled mugen 10/40 cams for the ZC engine ( plus MUGEN ECU , 1.7 stroker kit etc bringing the mighty 1.6 to 170hp apparently :)). SO maybe that is a start ?

10/40 = duration/lift or ? I'll find the specs here somewhere

hahaha.... Com'n Ben ... that would be sweet but I don't have spare 3-4K :P

bennjamin
21-07-2005, 05:00 PM
yuo can fidn the camshafts around for aroudn the $1k mark
Ok , actualyl you cant find them but theuy have existed in the past. MY local mechanic directed me to a guy in Melbourne but since have been sold i guess since i was too slow...

SINISTR
21-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah - thats what I mean Ben, is $1400 a good price for a set including installation and tuning?

I have heard of D16A8s and ZCs having Cams from HKS, Mugen, Toda - but they are as hard to find these days as a straight bannana... I did think about regrinds, however for quality and safety reasons I think i'd prefer to have something 'solid' made for the car.

The mob who make them are apparently in QLD. Maybe we can get a group buy organised? what do you think? could be a bit cheaper... I suspect about $800-$1000 for the CAMS. Installation within ones own capacity.

pgclee
21-07-2005, 06:03 PM
you cant Toda Cams? i'll sell you mine...hahaa...incl cam gear....wanna try out JUN...

Weq
21-07-2005, 06:14 PM
there are cams. get them from america. i think rocket motorsports or something. looking on d-series.org. ALOT less then 1200.

EIther way, if u want an agressive cam, u need sprinngs and retainers along with an ecu to tune.

strepto
21-07-2005, 06:19 PM
It all depends on the tuning. Most aftermarket cams can give good performance gains with proper tuning :)

Nightrider
21-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Mike,
There's a place in Osbourne Park called ACM.
They do cams
- worth a phone call....

SINISTR
21-07-2005, 06:21 PM
you cant Toda Cams? i'll sell you mine...hahaa...incl cam gear....wanna try out JUN...

HUH?
these would be for a B-Series tho wouldnt they?

WEQ: Ill have to have a look on D-series.org, but I know i can get re-grinds for $200-$400 landed from the US.

I don't want too aggressive - I want max profile without any OTHER engine mods.

SINISTR
21-07-2005, 06:33 PM
The reason why I don't want to go Excessively hard cams is because of the extra headwork thats required. I just dont want the pain in the backside to put it simply.

But rather than getting regrinds - i want to spend the extra money - and have blank cams made to the 'best' possible profile that would suit my application - keeping valve springs stock etc. By my calculations - I should be able to make my D16 make enough power as a mildly I/H/E B16 motor can - without spending the $2.500 on a B16 swap.

I drove a mates CRX a while ago, after he put MILD regrind cams into the D16. I was amazed by the power/torque the motor was making with such a small $300 mod (regrinds). I tested his car and my car over a stretch of road - I managed 110 in my car and 140 in his car - over thesame stretch of road - thats a pretty amazing difference. if you take that onto a 400m track - by rough estimates if I can make the 1/4 at 142km/h atm - I could be pushing 150-160 with the cams - bringing me closer to the 14 second pass.

SINISTR
21-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Mike,
There's a place in Osbourne Park called ACM.
They do cams
- worth a phone call....

cheers Kris... i will call around :)

bennjamin
21-07-2005, 06:50 PM
more info on the regrinds your "mate" has ? i wouldnt mind putting some slightly milder cams into my setup sometime soon...

SINISTR
21-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Ben - the cam regrinds he has were made/obtained by Cypher Industries here in Perth - they call them Mild profile. The car idles just as normal so its nothing massive.
I'll find out the details - but they cost him $300 - thats what i know for sure.

sivic
21-07-2005, 11:10 PM
keep me updated on how you go mike. $300 for regrinds from cypher? thats not too bad. Zack was telling me about an EG Si they did cams for which went ok (15.1 ET)

KB
21-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Cooooor. Oi Man get cams in ZC goodness.

pgclee
21-07-2005, 11:24 PM
have a think...what you want...Drag or Track...mine is not aggressive enough..Hahaha..wanna go hardcore...

Civic Type R
22-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Mike, Ive looked into a set of cams made by Ivan Tighe who I believe makes the sticks for Ferralls racing. I believe they are many times the strength as JUN. .. Well according to those who have snapped more than 3 sets of JUN cams.

SINISTR
22-07-2005, 01:56 AM
have a think...what you want...Drag or Track...mine is not aggressive enough..Hahaha..wanna go hardcore...

Well - like I said - I don't want anything too hardcore because that requires further mods.

I'll use the car for both - but it is also a daily driver so with a lumpy cam Im not gonna enjoy the 30min drive from home to work each morning.

Adam: so whatz the deal with those cams? any details? costs?

SINISTR
22-07-2005, 11:05 AM
So does anyone know any CAM profiles for the ZC?

gains, problems etc?

Civic Type R
22-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Adam: so whatz the deal with those cams? any details? costs?
He has been out of contact for a few weeks but they are also B series cams too and not what you are after. I.e. We were looking into getting a second set to what the race team use.

SINISTR
22-07-2005, 11:15 AM
hahaha - so what use is this to me??? ;)

Civic Type R
22-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Time to sell the CRX and upgrade to a B series powered car :D

SINISTR
22-07-2005, 11:29 AM
NO way!!! D-Series ROCK!!!