PDA

View Full Version : comptech ice box

Felix
21-07-2005, 04:27 PM
What do you guys think of the Comptech Ice Box CAI for DC2? Anygood or crap? A guy is selling them in the traders section. Thinking about getting one. Has anyone got one of these installed on a Integra?

kousoku
21-07-2005, 05:30 PM
they look impressive on the results for mid range, but i've been told by some experts that they would buy the injen over the comptech.

depends what your after i rekcon, if you dont; like the sound of vtec go get one cause its very quiet or if you are more inclined to tracking yoru car then i would go comptech because of its responsive ness.

typsy
21-07-2005, 06:50 PM
I have one myself and i personally prefer this over Injen CAI, my mate has one. If you like the whistling noise then get a Injen CAI. If you like the quiet and sleeper look then get the Comptech Icebox, and you can have a peace of mind that you wont get defected.

Felix
21-07-2005, 08:16 PM
I can allready hear Vtec kicking in and my airbox is stock. Since i got the headers installed i can hear Vtec.

they look impressive on the results for mid range, but i've been told by some experts that they would buy the injen over the comptech.

depends what your after i rekcon, if you dont; like the sound of vtec go get one cause its very quiet or if you are more inclined to tracking yoru car then i would go comptech because of its responsive ness.

Felix
21-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Why do u get defected with the Injen and not with the Comptech box?

OZ#227
21-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Any exposed pod filter is illegal (but I thought that was only if it's in the Engine bay?). Any filter in a box is OK.

jdmlvn
21-07-2005, 09:54 PM
lol xtea 2kW gain for a low amount of money..?

go for it !

kousoku
21-07-2005, 10:22 PM
injen is already pretty good value for money,
its cheapest of the aem, comptech k&n and mugen, and has top gains of the lot.

Felix
21-07-2005, 10:40 PM
i dunno. Comptech still seems very good. Especially for gains at lower revs.

kousoku
21-07-2005, 10:42 PM
by all means, also about 200 more to buy on this forum.
I guess it depends on what you want, if you like to drag people and go fast then i would go injen,
if you are a togue guy who doens't like the sound of vtec comptech all the way!!

basically they are both better then the stock air box so i guess its brand loyalty =P

Felix
21-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Does Injen still have ok mid range improvements???

typsy
21-07-2005, 10:53 PM
yeh you can't go wrong with any of them. Both will give you good gains, just a personal perference. I did notice a lil more power down low with the Icebox compared to just the pod filter.

kousoku
21-07-2005, 10:53 PM
between 3-4kw, comapred to comptech which has 4-5,

bubblecivic
21-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Well the Injen locates itself behind the front bar so I don't think you can get defected for something that can't be seen.

Comptech = better in looks as there are empty space in your engine bay, more torque/response as above mentioned and its clean!!

Injen = dirty, leaves empty space however from what I've read, it offers more gains.

IMO, I'd go the Comptech!

bubblecivic
21-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Well the Injen locates itself behind the front bar so I don't think you can get defected for something that can't be seen.

Comptech = better in looks as there are no empty space in your engine bay, more torque/response as above mentioned and its clean!!

Injen = dirty, leaves empty space and can suffer from hydrolock however from what I've read, it offers more gains.

IMO, I'd go the Comptech!

kousoku
21-07-2005, 11:35 PM
lmao, hydrolock is an old wives tale.
=P

sif dirty, bling is good!!!!

imho, if your gonna spend money you want it to look differnt to stock,
you wouldn't spend 2grand on jdm rims that look like the stock vtir rims but are lighter would you?
lol same deal.

tengsta
21-07-2005, 11:51 PM
how does comptech achieve these good results ??
is it because of the box around the intake? and causes a vaccum like action into the pipe...

kousoku
21-07-2005, 11:56 PM
its because there is high pressure inside the pipe,
so its much more responsive,
where as i think with cai there is no pressure so when the engine wants the air it has to suck itsself, which is only efficiecy at top end.

altin
22-07-2005, 01:29 PM
isnt it because its taking air from directly behind the indicator lights rather than the stock where it was from a box behind the lights.. so air would flow more free than stock...

its all about airflow.. and the CAI takes the air near the bottom of the car so air can flow directly into it... and the air would be cold down there...

bubblecivic
22-07-2005, 02:19 PM
lmao, hydrolock is an old wives tale.
=P

sif dirty, bling is good!!!!

imho, if your gonna spend money you want it to look differnt to stock,
you wouldn't spend 2grand on jdm rims that look like the stock vtir rims but are lighter would you?
lol same deal.

sif dirty?

So your saying a pod that is exposed behind a front bumper close to the ground is cleaner and sucking in clean shit better then a filter thats enclosed in a box higher above the ground?

kousoku
22-07-2005, 02:37 PM
lol bubblecivic, i think you need to contextualise what i said.
sif dirty, bling is good.

to me in teh same sentence the dirty would be refering to the look of the cai, rather then the cleanliness of it.

bubblecivic
22-07-2005, 03:13 PM
lol bubblecivic, i think you need to contextualise what i said.
sif dirty, bling is good.

to me in teh same sentence the dirty would be refering to the look of the cai, rather then the cleanliness of it.

Ahh fair enough. Yes a nice shiny Injen chrome pipe would look attractive haha

Then again Comptech's box looks the bling aswell :thumbsup:

quangsta
18-08-2005, 09:36 PM
would a comptech icebox be just as good on its on without the comptech intake arm??...as in just having the plastic box bit with the bit that goes down to the bottom from the box with out that little bit that is silver from your manifold to the box...hope u guyz understand what im on about

Jase EK
18-08-2005, 10:14 PM
how much are these about?

locote
18-08-2005, 11:12 PM
http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/ca-pro1.shtml
did anyone have a look at these test results???
short ram intakes make more power in these tests

MrHeeltoe
19-08-2005, 01:43 AM
If you ask me (yeah I know, nobody asked me) I have never been to crazy about Injen....

The Icebox looks nice though. TSX drivers in the USA here like both about 50/50.

bubblecivic
19-08-2005, 08:32 AM
They are roughly $500 - $550. Check out "hondar" trading section.

zen
19-08-2005, 06:30 PM
where can we get the Injen SRi or CAI from ?? dont really wana ship from the states and im not sure if any of the traders on here deal with Injen....

skatation
19-08-2005, 07:13 PM
the simota cold air system is a copy of the injen system.. after all its just a pipe...same specs have the price

quangsta
19-08-2005, 11:55 PM
toda au did..but i dont know if he does anymore...

[JDM_DC2]
20-08-2005, 09:28 AM
well i thought that it u want the comptech icebox u will get more power in the midrange whilst if you get an Injen CAI u will get a higher top end...

so really which one u get is the one where u want most gains at...:D

zen
20-08-2005, 12:11 PM
i'll be after the Injen SRI :D

the simota cold air system is a copy of the injen system.. after all its just a pipe...same specs have the price

Can anyone back that up before i go buy one? lol

Felix
21-08-2005, 07:13 PM
']well i thought that it u want the comptech icebox u will get more power in the midrange whilst if you get an Injen CAI u will get a higher top end...

so really which one u get is the one where u want most gains at...:D

Right On.

HRV-80Y
22-08-2005, 10:55 AM
YSPOOL mark has one...

here is his review n diy on install http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14077