PDA

View Full Version : Review - Mugen Intake - DC2R

r|Ce_bOi
22-07-2005, 09:09 AM
First of all i'd like to send a thanks out to Zi and the JDM Yard guys for supplying me the goods. Great friendly service with professional advice. I highly recommend http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Hearing so many rave reviews about this intake and hearing so many opinions, i made a decision to purchase one myself.
Picking up the intake from Zi and bringing it home, inspecting the parts it all appeared to be a confusing jigsaw puzzle.
Especially with the instruction in japanese and very confusing diagrams i dared myself to do it on my own.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/riceboi_2k/DSC00802LargeMedium.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/riceboi_2k/DSC00799LargeMedium.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/riceboi_2k/DSC00800LargeMedium.jpg

It appeared all straight forward with removing the standard airbox and removing the front bumper and removing the air resonator in front of the driver's side wheel. Once all removed it was simply a matter of mounting it in with all the supplied bolts and screws. All parts ended up fitting into place with no problems at all.
The windshield was a bit tricky but in the end but all bolted into place.

After it was installed and everything put back on, i started the engine. Already on first start up i could hear a deep sound coming from the air box. It sounded as the car was the little more meaner or beefier at that.
Taking the car around the block for a spin while normal driving i could already hear the intake doing its job.
Cruising in 5th and having the pedal to the floor, i could hear the deep rumble from the intake and with this could easily see how more quickly the car would get up and go without hesitation....

The Test Drive:
Going for a fang to really test this intake out, everything appeared to be normal until vtec land.....
At the initial cut in point, it somewhat scared me that the beast hidden inside my car had been unleashed. It just didnt appear to be the same car anymore after 5700rpm and dam was it loud and what more a totally different car from what it use to be. The revs just appeared to catch me out from 1st to 2nd and then to 3rd and i'd be at the redline hesitating to change gears... One thing comes to mind is that this modification was addictive and where i could easily enjoy myself driving my car within this range if i had the road space to do it all the time. Again it appeared that there was no hesitation and where the car would rev smoothly and happily with the intention to give more.

Gearing down and rev matching at the same time appears to come with a little more ease aswell while making driving pleasure more enjoyable and if not more fun at the same time.
I guess the only to complaint about is the attention this intake can make when in vtec and with WOT im not sure what the boys in blue would say but i guess it would hard to defect me ???
Other than what other owners of this intake have said is that there is a slight squeel or squeek during acceleration created by the intake but thats just being fussy and am learning to live with it.

Hope you've enjoyed reading :)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/riceboi_2k/DSC00810LargeMedium.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/riceboi_2k/DSC00813LargeMedium.jpg

[stealth]
22-07-2005, 01:02 PM
nice read.. how much one of these suckers set u back..

Da1nONLY
22-07-2005, 02:18 PM
comparing to the stock box,
is there a huge difference.
How much are they retailing for?

garett
22-07-2005, 03:43 PM
the mugen sticker which you have put on the box still has the transfer on it.. your sposed to pull the transparent bit off after you have stuck it on mate, incase you didnt know

look heaps better

[stealth]
22-07-2005, 04:06 PM
I think he doesnt want to see the sticker get dirty so quickly hehe

:p

r|Ce_bOi
22-07-2005, 05:19 PM
']nice read.. how much one of these suckers set u back..

How much are they retailing for?.

Its probably the most expensive intake to buy for a DC2R and they arent cheap.
I purchased mine off JDM Yard. It would be best to speak to them about price.

Refer to this Post: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=342755&postcount=20 for pricing at the point of time when i purchased it. :D

comparing to the stock box,
is there a huge difference.

yes, there is quite a significant difference in performance. The car has better midrange and top end and sounds great on WOT.
aswell because its not an exposed filter like some others so for legailities sake, this is the reason why i got it.

i do have an mpeg of how it sounds but i dont have anyplace to host it. sorry

r|Ce_bOi
22-07-2005, 05:20 PM
the mugen sticker which you have put on the box still has the transfer on it.. your sposed to pull the transparent bit off after you have stuck it on mate, incase you didnt know

look heaps better

yeah i know... the picture was taken back when i just installed it. but have removed it already.

but thanks for noticing :)

kousoku
24-07-2005, 03:22 PM
the last paragraph, are you sure that is with respect to your airbox?!
sounds like you are talking about your twin loop you also installed?!

nice right up
looks hot

r|Ce_bOi
24-07-2005, 04:07 PM
the last paragraph, are you sure that is with respect to your airbox?!
sounds like you are talking about your twin loop you also installed?!

nice right up
looks hot

whoops, thanks for noticing, i've removed and edited the original post.
but yes i was talking about the twinloop i installed aswell.

Da1nONLY
27-07-2005, 02:08 PM
=)

hmmmmz... its not on the line of this topic!!
but that park looks so familiar...
is that the park across from Canley Vale PS? =P

r|Ce_bOi
28-07-2005, 12:19 AM
keep on guessing dude... but i do live in a surrounding suburb in canley.

btw.. i saw your ride the other night, turning right onto horsley drive from polding street. looks great and sleek on the road and not over the top :)

Civic Type R
28-07-2005, 01:54 AM
You know you will get $50 for that Mugen box if you put it online on some US site ;)

p.s. Great work on the mods and cool writeup :thumbsup:

Da1nONLY
28-07-2005, 09:13 AM
haha thanx,
well i did sacrifice alot of performance for looks though....

that GTiR.... have you ran your Type R with that on the roll??
how does it go against it?

keep on guessing dude... but i do live in a surrounding suburb in canley.

btw.. i saw your ride the other night, turning right onto horsley drive from polding street. looks great and sleek on the road and not over the top :)

r|Ce_bOi
28-07-2005, 05:00 PM
haha thanx,
well i did sacrifice alot of performance for looks though....

that GTiR.... have you ran your Type R with that on the roll??
how does it go against it?

havent tried unfortuantely... hard to say as they 2 different cars with different characteristics

TYPE-R617
05-08-2005, 11:16 AM
rice boi,

hav u done other mods or is it juss da exhaust and air filter box? gone to da dyno yet if so wat are the results?

r|Ce_bOi
09-08-2005, 01:21 PM
they are the only mods on my car at the moment.
will probably get car dyno'd at the next dyno day.

but am hoping to get headers before then

TYPE-R617
25-08-2005, 12:54 PM
rice boi,

sorry to sound stupid but does the mugen air box have and extended CAI wit it if not how far does the tube go to the front bumper?

TYPE-R617
25-08-2005, 12:55 PM
they are the only mods on my car at the moment.
will probably get car dyno'd at the next dyno day.

but am hoping to get headers before then

wat kind of headers are u thinking of getting?

redliner
25-08-2005, 01:33 PM
thats the airbox u need keith
it will put ur performace back up :)

Da1nONLY
25-08-2005, 01:45 PM
just throw back my stockies back on and it'll be like before again! =)
that air box is mighty expensive....
saving up for new suspension

r|Ce_bOi
28-08-2005, 10:44 AM
rice boi,

sorry to sound stupid but does the mugen air box have and extended CAI wit it if not how far does the tube go to the front bumper?

looking at the design of the air box from the photos,
the mugen air box extends down and into the front guards and where a 'snorkel' attachment is added onto it which slightly curves upwards.

A windshield is install above the 'snorkel' to deflect air into the snorkel and into the funnel going towards the mugen airbox and filter.

it does not extend outside the body of the car.

This is a very good setup for the fact that the sound of the aibox when on WOT (wide open throttle), the loud throaty noise from the engine/air intake can be heard whilst knowing that cold is is being sucked in and not hot air from the engine

r|Ce_bOi
28-08-2005, 10:46 AM
wat kind of headers are u thinking of getting?

most probably toda headers...
else JDM 4-1, there is not much of a difference between both other than the bling factor...

ArSe
28-08-2005, 02:08 PM
that noise you r hearing is normal, its because theres so much air going in, if you want to get ride of it just change the air chamber aswell then it will be alot less noticable. but i think it sound good with that noise. same thing happened when i got my air filter in.......

hope that helps

fabz
28-08-2005, 02:56 PM
jdm 4-1 is that just the jdm itr headers? Are these good? sori 4 noob question

r|Ce_bOi
28-08-2005, 07:17 PM
jdm 4-1 is that just the jdm itr headers? Are these good? sori 4 noob question

yes... they are the jdm itr headers...

these are very value for money.
on the AUDM itr, the stock header is a 'cast iron' item with a very restrictive collector.

its been said that changing the header is the most worthwhile mod to perform first and provides noticable gains.

i regret getting my zorst first before the header... Should of gotten an aftermarket jdm header or the jdm itr header with the jdm itr cat as it bolts straight on to the OEM zorst.

then when you purchase an aftermarket jdm zorst, it bolts on with no modification required. :)

TYPE-R617
29-08-2005, 09:14 AM
looking at the design of the air box from the photos,
the mugen air box extends down and into the front guards and where a 'snorkel' attachment is added onto it which slightly curves upwards.

A windshield is install above the 'snorkel' to deflect air into the snorkel and into the funnel going towards the mugen airbox and filter.

it does not extend outside the body of the car.

This is a very good setup for the fact that the sound of the aibox when on WOT (wide open throttle), the loud throaty noise from the engine/air intake can be heard whilst knowing that cold is is being sucked in and not hot air from the engine

hey dude thanks for the reply, it helps me on the decision on whether i should get one or not. in regards with the headers y are u getting a 4-1 instead of 4-2-1? is it bcos u want more top end power?

r|Ce_bOi
30-08-2005, 11:58 AM
yes i would prefer top end power.
due to the design of the mugen zorst, this helps build back pressure and therefore helps low end grunt and therefore getting 4-1 headers will improve top end power and have the best of both worlds

TYPE-R617
30-08-2005, 12:04 PM
yes i would prefer top end power.
due to the design of the mugen zorst, this helps build back pressure and therefore helps low end grunt and therefore improve top end power

i got once told that no back pressure is the best in any circumstance.

HRV-80Y
30-08-2005, 12:31 PM
hmmmz deciding between mugen or injen ...?

very confused

[stealth]
30-08-2005, 12:47 PM
injen half the price? go for that hehe

ITRBoI
30-08-2005, 12:58 PM
congrats on your purchase of the mugen CAI rice boi!!!! yet we have another with mugen parts heahehaeha, just wait till you change your extractors!!! car will scream like no tomorrow!!! then get exhuast!!1 baby.....vtec all the way hehaehahe....have all that in my car except for internals work!!!! We should meet up one day rice boi heaehahe you in the same hood as me hehaehaheha

r|Ce_bOi
31-08-2005, 12:12 AM
congrats on your purchase of the mugen CAI rice boi!!!! yet we have another with mugen parts heahehaeha, just wait till you change your extractors!!! car will scream like no tomorrow!!! then get exhuast!!1 baby.....vtec all the way hehaehahe....have all that in my car except for internals work!!!! We should meet up one day rice boi heaehahe you in the same hood as me hehaehaheha

thanks mate, i already have the mugen TL aswell, read my other post, link provided in my signature below.
just needs headers as mentioned.

yeah we'll meet up fo sure, probably with fly, perry, nobbs, dave and pascoe sometime soon and go for a cruise :wave:

r|Ce_bOi
31-08-2005, 12:14 AM
i got once told that no back pressure is the best in any circumstance.

sorry dude, please re-read your reply to this post,
i mistakenly mislead you with what i meant :D

r|Ce_bOi
31-08-2005, 12:19 AM
hmmmz deciding between mugen or injen ...?

very confused

can always test it out and see what its like on my car... :D
though quite expensive, gives the best gains and sound great while keeping it legal... bangs for bucks.. go for injen :D

ITR032
15-10-2011, 08:48 AM
how come you sold this intake?

dc2r-0636
15-10-2011, 09:09 AM
lol sick bump 6 years haha,

id love a mugen intake, but cant myself forking out that much money

ITR032
15-10-2011, 09:42 AM
oh shit didnt see the year! hahaha whoops. im buying this exact one second hand today hopefully.. but not off this guy

unl3a5h
17-10-2011, 04:54 PM
the actual filter on the mugen looks kind of small in those pics. would it wear out faster than a larger filter or what?

DCZ 18C
17-10-2011, 05:53 PM
this intake is epic, a lot of people that have injens told me they have a lag down low compared to stock, but mugen one i saw a power increase through the whole range... love it.. xD