PDA

View Full Version : AEM short or long intake system

pintorulz
22-07-2005, 11:08 AM
does anyone have these>????
which one is better the short or the long intake?? and do i have to modify anyting in my engine to put these on??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=38634&item=7987419478

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=38634&item=7987790053

IRI
22-07-2005, 11:15 AM
You won't need to modify anything in the engine but usually the brackets dont line up properly so you might have to get creative with the brackets. Not sure, but might also have to remove the front bar to get the 'long intake' to go in...

As for which is better, ask any female.... Longer is always better;) (am assuming that the 'short' intake is an SRI)

typsy
22-07-2005, 11:52 AM
obviously the long intake is better as it will be drawing in cold air. the short one will be drawing in hot air from your engine bay.

locote
22-07-2005, 05:15 PM
i ve seen test results and the short ones were making more hp. depends how you set them up realy, longer pipes means air takes longer to get to throttle, short instant responce.

pintorulz
22-07-2005, 10:04 PM
which one would u use locote i have a 1993 gsi....... i will be putting on a catback exhaust i saw on ebay as well for $130USD no name brand i think.....

panda[cRx]
22-07-2005, 10:17 PM
just use a short one with a good heat shield and make some piping directing cold air to the pod

CIVIX
22-07-2005, 10:59 PM
It's been dyno proven that the cold air intakes, make more power at the wheels. However, i've recently purchased a short ram intake from AEM for my Civic and i'm more than happy with the results.

EuroAccord13
22-07-2005, 11:53 PM
It's been dyno proven that the cold air intakes, make more power at the wheels.

Yeah but it comes with a price as in, the power drops in the low to mid range of the RPM....

With my K&N Typhoon CAI, I lost low end and this was confirmed in the Heathcote drags when I compared my 0-60ft time with another Euro which only has a VAFC-ii installed....

locote
23-07-2005, 12:21 AM
i just cut the half facing the fender in my, as my has no abs theres a 4inch hole on the side with a plastic tube, i took the fender plastic shroud off, took the plastic pipes out and now i got a hole wich cold air comes in through, i got a metal pod shield, and saw of the half facing the hole of my air box exposing the pod to the cold air coming in wich is a k&n ofcourse, as for the pipe coming from the bottom of the airbox i took it off and replaced it with a pvc pipe that goes al the way to bottom of car, i took the plastic shroud from under radiator too so the pipe can draw cold air in, all up cost was pvc pipe like 5 buks i already had the pod, and bout 2 hours as my car is really f+#$ng low.
if u have standard exhaust induction noise will be loud, i reacon i would have picked up a good 5hp during day and a lot more in a cold night

edw-R
23-07-2005, 09:41 AM
I love cold air intake.