PDA

View Full Version : ECU changes between 93-95/96+ DC2 Vtir?

T-onedc2
23-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Hey guys I read somewhere there was an ECU change from 93-95/96+ DC2 Vtir, I have a 99, my bro has a 97, and now my mate has a 97 ( pictured with mine in avatar) and when helping this mate find one we test drove a 94 and 95 model which for one thing had an inlet resonator attatched to intake pipe between air box and throttle body, 96+ has this blanked off.
Then when I drove each car immediately noticable was a slight lack of urge/response/punch. Afterwards asked mate what he thought and he had noticed it also. I don't know however what fuel was being used as I only use 98ron in my car. Anyone experienced this?
Cheers :)

locote
23-07-2005, 12:24 PM
i had same experience when looking for an integra i drove a vtir the vtec kicked in but it didnt feel that quik, i had just driven a crx till that point and the crx would have pissed on this vtir

T-onedc2
26-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Surely there's someone who knows, is there............................? :confused:

T-onedc2
05-08-2005, 08:03 PM
*B U M P* Anything? This is drivin me nuts, well not like a steering wheel in my pants but you know.....

tinkerbell
05-08-2005, 09:43 PM
um, differnet cars have different maintainance schedules,

maybe the one you drove to 'compare' was a 'dog' and maintained poorly/has less ignition timing (i.e. urge/response)...

ECU changes would not be felt by the "seat of the pants" anyways, more in terms of economy really...

tinkerbell
05-08-2005, 09:44 PM
LOL @ steerign wheel in teh pants comment :D

T-onedc2
06-08-2005, 12:47 AM
um, differnet cars have different maintainance schedules,

maybe the one you drove to 'compare' was a 'dog' and maintained poorly/has less ignition timing (i.e. urge/response)...

ECU changes would not be felt by the "seat of the pants" anyways, more in terms of economy really...
I drove two pre '96 models and both felt the same, from what I understood they were maintained as they should, but who knows.
However looking at the intake there is a difference, if you get a chance have a look at one and you'll see what I mean but either way the performance shouldn't differ by that much. Possibly just fuel type used as neither owner was a performance junkie.:)

ProECU
06-08-2005, 02:32 AM
OBD2 ECU's tend to over-compensate for perceived knock and high intake temperatures.
They are able to do this due to the faster processors in these ECU's

OBD1's are slower, and nont compensate as much.

This is likely to account for some of the difference

T-onedc2
06-08-2005, 09:43 AM
OBD2 ECU's tend to over-compensate for perceived knock and high intake temperatures.
They are able to do this due to the faster processors in these ECU's

OBD1's are slower, and nont compensate as much.

This is likely to account for some of the difference
I think that's the answer I was after, had seen references to OBD1 & OBD2 not knowing the meaning. Thanks ProECU!
Question answered. :D