PDA

View Full Version : Turbo h22a in an EG Hatch

fusion_VTi
25-07-2005, 08:00 PM
As the topic states im wondering about the possiblilty of getting a turbo'd h22a to fit into an EG hatch. I've been tossing up the possiblity of a long term project (and fukn espensive one!) and just wanna know how hard it would be to get install this setup. Losing out on cornering speed and track work wont be an issue as it wont be what the car is built for. So what ya think guys, yay or nay??

Chi
25-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Going to be a tight fit

panda[cRx]
25-07-2005, 08:21 PM
fark man sound like a VERY tight fit. it's tight enough fitting the h22a in there.... but the turbo gear too.
like they say "you can do anything with enough money"

2_and
25-07-2005, 08:24 PM
possible, but think abt the traction, h22a alone gonna give you hard time..

type one
25-07-2005, 08:24 PM
a tight fit - that's an understatement. But panelbeating can always add some much needed space... but then you would lose the original shape of the already beautiful chassis.

Mugen_B16B
25-07-2005, 08:25 PM
ive seen it done, h22a with twin rexy turbos so its a twin turbo with i think it was 400hp and doin 11sec

fusion_VTi
25-07-2005, 08:28 PM
ive seen it done, h22a with twin rexy turbos so its a twin turbo with i think it was 400hp and doin 11sec

yea i think i know the one, yellow one which was getting round a few years ago. I've seen a few done on some american sites, dont think they'res any chance of retaining air con or p/s but that's alright, the car would be a serious street car. Just think the power to weight ratio with around 250-300kw's ;)

panda[cRx]
26-07-2005, 02:11 AM
boosted b series (or even d16a8's) can produce that kinda power man, no need for the h22a.

would be less unique but also less hassle :thumbsup:

SiR JDM
26-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Thought about just doing the h22a first, then if thats not killer enough, turboing it later on?

The h22a conversion in an EG chassis isn't the easiest of conversions, nor the cheapest but definatly possible.

That would be the route I would take. Atm your running a d16 SOHC VTEC. From that to a 2.2 litre h22a DOHC VTEC, the improvement would be ENOURMOUS, they are a great engine Ive driven many before. Personally i think that would be enough without turboing it .. but later on if you decide you want more power then do the turbo setup.

bennjamin
26-07-2005, 10:03 AM
ive heard that to change a timing belt on a h22a that is resting inside a eg chassis requires for the ENTIRE engine to be pulled back out($$$) Sure - that maybe every 80-100k but that speaks for itself methinks on space allocation :)

57UDD
26-07-2005, 10:20 AM
that yellow eg with the h22a and twin turbo was only doing low 12's, but he blew one of his turbo's. his car had heaps of potential but he didn't setup the turbo's correctly apparently. overall, a ride in his car was quite disappointing.

fusion_VTi
26-07-2005, 10:23 AM
that yellow eg with the h22a and twin turbo was only doing low 12's, but he blew one of his turbo's. his car had heaps of potential but he didn't setup the turbo's correctly apparently. overall, a ride in his car was quite disappointing.

yea not sure what the logic was behind the twin turbos, i woulda gone just one big ball bearing turbo surely that'd be quick enough

raff
26-07-2005, 10:50 AM
EGBOY from these forums previously had an eg hatch with a H22A turbo and apparently was very very quick...so it is possible no doubt. pm him for some info.

Weq
26-07-2005, 01:04 PM
a stock turbod will destroy a h22a n/a in an eg. been there done that.

fusion_VTi
26-07-2005, 01:24 PM
how many HP at the motor was your's putting out dude ?? ^^

honda_b_blastn
26-07-2005, 01:35 PM
hey mate i did a huge write up on this swap i did myself 6months ago.search the threads..im in Brisbane.let me know if you want to meet up and ill take ya for a spin..:)

Weq
26-07-2005, 01:43 PM
how many HP at the motor was your's putting out dude ?? ^^

i dynoed 125kw at 8psi. i never dyno'd it at 11psi, but it was about 20kw more. ~8kw per psi.

that said, seeing a bigass h22 in the eg's engine bay is quite a sight ;) .SOund alot meaner then a n/a d-series! but props dont win races (as we all learnt from f&f).

MR-VTEC
26-07-2005, 02:33 PM
you have started many threads on what your gonna do to this hatch of yours and you have even stuffed around with selling it for the last few months............

heres the thread you started about this time last year, titled 'H22A and airbagging my civic':rolleyes:

- http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1800

when are you actually planning on doin it:rolleyes:

fusion_VTi
26-07-2005, 02:40 PM
geez dude dont dig up old skeletons :o I never said anything about purchasing a h22a and turboing it jsut wondering about the logistics of the swap, whether it be for info for a possible conversion. i got some 17" RJR wheels for it the other day anyways, the wheels are in motion mate

[stealth]
26-07-2005, 02:56 PM
get ready for 10k spend

:p

MR-VTEC
26-07-2005, 02:57 PM
well its just a bit useless to start a thread very similiar to ones you have started before, especially if your not actually gonna do the conversion.

as for your question, well what is your budget?

i dont really see the point of utilising the h22a engine if your gonna boost it anyway. reason being is because of the b series engine being an easier and less expensive conversion and the b series having a really strong aftermarket advantage over the h series. also because it doesnt take much for a boosted b series to make up that initial lack of power.

also seeing that you want to run around 250-300kws, your gonna wanna do the internals, have you realised to run forgies the h block has to be resleeved aswell.

it is a very tight fit and imo not worth the money or the hassle if your just gonna boost it.

IF you actually are gonna do a conversion and boost it, do a b series swap. your wallet will be much healthier for it;)

barefootbonzai
26-07-2005, 04:18 PM
you have started many threads on what your gonna do to this hatch of yours and you have even stuffed around with selling it for the last few months............

heres the thread you started about this time last year, titled 'H22A and airbagging my civic':rolleyes:

- http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1800

when are you actually planning on doin it:rolleyes:

Funny stuff

fusion_VTi
26-07-2005, 05:01 PM
well its just a bit useless to start a thread very similiar to ones you have started before, especially if your not actually gonna do the conversion.

as for your question, well what is your budget?

i dont really see the point of utilising the h22a engine if your gonna boost it anyway. reason being is because of the b series engine being an easier and less expensive conversion and the b series having a really strong aftermarket advantage over the h series. also because it doesnt take much for a boosted b series to make up that initial lack of power.

also seeing that you want to run around 250-300kws, your gonna wanna do the internals, have you realised to run forgies the h block has to be resleeved aswell.

it is a very tight fit and imo not worth the money or the hassle if your just gonna boost it.

IF you actually are gonna do a conversion and boost it, do a b series swap. your wallet will be much healthier for it;)

thanx for ur advise dude, i wouldnt know 3/5's about putting a h22a in a civic but im looking for a long term project. if i do end up comitting to it i'll be sure to let u know

vtegra
03-03-2006, 08:11 PM
im puttin a h22vtec in my 90mod integra n will b done in a month, i was thinkn of turboing it but 4 now i just want it bak, u rekon if i turbod it wuld b a machine???