PDA

View Full Version : Turbo and Compression

blubber
26-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Hi all,

I am in the market for a turbo kit (AVO stage 1 is looking pretty good atm) and I just wanted to know, will I have to lower the compression of my engine before fitting the kit?

I have a '98 Integra gsi; although they seem to have lower compression than the vtecs, is it low enough?

I have been told compression ratio should be <9, is this correct?

Thanks
:confused:

saxman
26-07-2005, 02:46 AM
I've turboed several jdm b16a's with a 10.4:1 compression ratio without a problem... it all comes down to the quality of your tuning.

When I get around to building my engine, I'll be raising the compression ratio.

So no, you should be fine

DLO01
26-07-2005, 07:51 AM
Avo kits are designed to used on a stock engine. So no you do not have to touch your motor.

The Avo people are very helpfull. Give them a Call/Email and they will answer all your questions. :thumbsup:

blksin
26-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Ever thought bout the Greddy Kit?

blubber
26-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Well I contacted AVO and they were very helpful, obviously however they are trying to sell their product.

I have heard a lot of good reviews for the avo kit but do not know much about the greddy one, the avo kit is offered (i think) at a reasonable price.

Does anyone have the Greddy kit?

GSI-PSI
26-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Well with the price avo are asking you will recive a garrett ball bearing turbo, rather than a bush bearing t3 type offered with the greedy kit, you also get an intercooler which is very useful esp if you dont want to lower your comp ratio plus not to mention the fact that the avo kit comes with an epa approval. Ive had this kit installed on my car and had no dramas, let me know if you have any quieries

barefootbonzai
26-07-2005, 09:07 PM
No need to lower compression. That would be pointless. You'll just lose power for no reason.

alta'd n13
26-07-2005, 10:07 PM
yeh no need to lower compression on a stock kit.

there are two ways of running a boosted set up
1 - high compression/low boost
2- low compression/high boost

honda engines are built usually with a higher compression ratio compared with other manufacturers such as nissan, as long as you dont get greedy and keep wanting to wind up your boost your factory internals should be up to the task.
just as a guide you add one point of compression for every 4psi of boost you add to your engine, thats a good general guide to live by once you get your project up and running

BLKCRX
27-07-2005, 12:09 AM
yeh no need to lower compression on a stock kit.

there are two ways of running a boosted set up
1 - high compression/low boost
2- low compression/high boost

honda engines are built usually with a higher compression ratio compared with other manufacturers such as nissan, as long as you dont get greedy and keep wanting to wind up your boost your factory internals should be up to the task.
just as a guide you add one point of compression for every 4psi of boost you add to your engine, thats a good general guide to live by once you get your project up and running

Or High Compression and High boost ;-) + tuning and good fuel

ProECU
27-07-2005, 10:20 AM
I feel this option is becoming less feasible with the current state of Federal exise on Fuel & urrent crude oil prices.

BLKCRX
27-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Fuel is cheap compaired to Vodka ;)

poweredbyhonda
27-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I think Pro-Ecu wsas referring to daily driven cars, not 11 second drags cars. Fuel is cheap if you drive your car a few minutes a year...

blubber
27-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Ummm yerr, so I guess no need to lower compression with the AVO kit :wave:

Fattony
27-07-2005, 06:28 PM
With the AVO stage one kit you are limited as you have extra fueling taken care of via an extra injector, so thats got its limits, plus your other limit is the fact that you cant exactly tune your ign timing with the said kit as they use a turbolink ecu that does not allow for it. So hence your limited to somewhat 8-9psi with this kit with intercooler.

blubber
28-07-2005, 01:48 AM
ok (as I am still learning about turbocharging) is 9 psi not enough? does higher psi increase power of the car or just help it reach its potential quicker?

Are you saying a kit is a bad idea?

alta'd n13
29-07-2005, 10:42 PM
no he's saying that particular kit is restrictive of your option to wind more boost into the engine past the 8-9psi range due to the option they take in providing the extra fuel and management.
boost pressure is the rate that the air is forced through your turbo into your induction system and through the manifold into the engine.
9psi im sure will be more than acceptable for your requirements depending on what you are expecting. if you wana chop GT-R skylines at the lights get a bigger kit and an extremely fat wallet, if you just want to approximately double your power output and add to your torque then this kit will be more than sufficient

blubber
30-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Ok that makes sense, thanks :thumbsup: