PDA

View Full Version : clutch master cylinder

bside
26-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Hi Guys,

I have an Integra GSI 98 and I have a leak were my clutch is. I had the same problem 2 months ago but i bleeded the clutch and the problem didn't happen until now. i almost stalled the car and the car jurked a bit and then the problem started.

I've read "wynodes" clutch troubleshooting post up

"Put your head under the steering column and have a look against the firewall/carpet where the clutch pedal activates the master cylinder. If there is a leak you may have to replace your master cylinder seals (or buy a new master cylinder)."

It says i may have to replace my master cylinder seals or the master cylinder itself. I was wondering would I be able to do that myself or is it a hard job?
Is there any quick fixes? Anything i can read on how to fix it?

When i drove my car (after bleeding it AGAIN) it seems fine...the clutch is NOT soft and feels ok, and the brake fluid level is sufficient.
There must be definately a small hole.
Any advice would be great.

thanks guys.

ECU-MAN
26-07-2005, 08:55 PM
not so much a small hole dude, but rather a worn bore on the clutch master cylinder.

with out knowing your technical knowage its hard to say if you can do it yourself, but you said you bleed the system so sounds like your on the right track. its not all that hard, but there is a fiddly part. if your brave give it a go

bside
27-07-2005, 09:27 AM
thanks for the reply! ill see if i can find any more information on how to fix the master cylinder.

any more advice guys?

Eclipsor
27-07-2005, 11:12 AM
I wasn't going to attempt to replace the seals myself. I removed it and took it to a place to get it done though. Saved labour costs of removing it. That wasn't too hard.

bside
27-07-2005, 10:23 PM
hi guys from my problem i've posted, would it be a problem with the master cylinder itself or the actual piping that may have a leak. (by piping i mean like the pipe that connects to the master cylinder that runs down to my clutch). I have the leak inside my car.

PhatSol
28-07-2005, 06:18 AM
I wouldn't bother getting the clutch master cylinder reconditioned. For the sol it was only about $70 for a brand new OEM master cylinder from Honda. Replacing it is easy, just make sure you have a 10mm flare nut spanner to disconnect the lines.

bside
28-07-2005, 11:53 AM
how would i know if its the master cylinder that needs replacing or the hose?
the leak is leaking inside the car against the wall and on the clutch.

tinkerbell
28-07-2005, 12:36 PM
it is rarely the lines.

as there are none inside the car anyways...

jsut repalce it, a used one is $40 a brand new one is $80.

it is simple stuff... you must "bleed" the clutch after installation though...

bside
29-07-2005, 10:42 AM
hey guys,

yeah i went to honda and they were going to charge me $335!!
$65 for slave cylinder, $75 for master cylinder, $195 for labour

they said they would also need to change the slave cylinder because when a brand new MC gets replace could cause compression on the slave cylinder which can cause the springs to snap. So anywyas, i went to my local mechanic and told him how much to change the master cylinder if i provide the part and he said $60! which is great.

Anyways, i don't want to change the MC by myself yet, as i don't want to stuff up anything.