PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Entry - need help

Alpine
26-07-2005, 08:29 PM
I have an aftermarket keyless entry system on my Honda which has worked reliably for over six years...until recently. The range at which my car would unlock when I pressed the button on the remote has decreased significantly.

Thinking it was probably the remote's battery becoming flat after more than six years of use, I got some new batteries. Unfortunately not even new batteries has made any difference. The range is still much too short. I have to place the remote right up to the driver's door for it to work.

Previously it would work from many meters away no matter which side of the car I was approaching from. It won't even unlock if I am right next to the passenger door. I have to place the remote right up near the driver's door, only then it unlocks.

What could be wrong? Both remotes are behaving the same way. Battery has been changed in one but the problem remains. Any help appreciated!

tegboy
26-07-2005, 08:34 PM
It possible it requires tuning, there is a tuning pot inside the remote.. take to a car audio installer that does alarms, they should be able to work it out

ECU-MAN
26-07-2005, 08:39 PM
for sure

sounds like your reciver in the car has gone off frequency like tegboy says.
easy fixed if your remotes are adjustalbe, not the SAW resonator type.

good luck

Alpine
28-07-2005, 08:25 PM
I managed to poke around and check out the receiving unit behind the dash. Opened up the little box but the antenna appears intact and still solidly soldered to the circuit board. There is nothing else that appears "user servicable". It is just a plain jane circuit board - no tuning pot can be seen. Same with the remote fob. I put it all back together but the range is still crap, despite a new remote fob battery AND a new car battery. Any other ideas?