PDA

View Full Version : [EURO] reversing the direction of the sportshift?

Entity
27-07-2005, 02:19 PM
so i finally hit 1000km and decided to test out the vtec a little before i take it in for the first service and used the sportshift

its not very responsive, but none of them really are, at 1 sec response time its not so bad but what bugged me was the direction it is set.

its forward for up gear and back for down gear.... thats the opposite of the proper way

ford/mazda/bmw and initial D arcade machines have it the right way i think... that is, back for up gear and forward for down gear... this is the way that inertia dictates.

so is there any way (computer program hopefully) that i can reverse the gearshift direction so that it is not so annoying?

i nearly screwed up my car like that, was in 2nd at 6000rpm and wanted to shift to 3rd when i almost pull back (instinctively) i would've redlined in first at 100km/hr :(

dc2dc2dc2
27-07-2005, 02:22 PM
too much initial D for u mate....get back to reality u are not a tofu delivery boy ! :p

aaronng
27-07-2005, 03:14 PM
If you were at 2nd in 6000rpm, the computer would not have let you get into 1st gear.

Entity
27-07-2005, 03:21 PM
haha, tofu boy or not, forward for up gear is just wrong.

and thats good, if the computer has a safeguard =] but im not about to test it, my friend blew up his FTO gearbox by shifting one too many times and going to 1st at 90km/hr

EuroAccord13
27-07-2005, 03:28 PM
It's arranged in such a way so that it's easier to remember, Forward = Up, Backward = Down...

It's the same with many cars nowadays...

And if I remember, it can be done, it was done to a Magna...

VirIIx
27-07-2005, 03:44 PM
It's different in a Mercedes Benz C200 Kompressor (mum's car im driving while mines being fixed).

It's even worse. When in 'Drive' you tap it left to shift down back to first and then tap right to shift up the gears and back to Drive.

The good thing is that you can see on the dash what gear your in, but c'mon.. like i'm going to remember to tap it left/right/up/down and also have to keep checking the dash to double check if i changed gears or not.

If u want to change gears - get a manual :D

it's a funky feature that only lasts for a few minutes. Gimmicks are us :)

Also have to agree with EuroAccord13, it's easier to remember for most people. Unfortunately i work in a reversed frame of mind, pilot way, even for computer games i have it reversed. The whole push up to go up and push down to go down throws me off for some things.

aaronng
27-07-2005, 04:08 PM
The reason I think that usually forward is down is for very torquey cars, it's easier to pull back on the stick than to push when shifting up during hard acceleration,

But the right way is forward for downshift and back for upshift.

Was the FTO the INVECS auto tranny or manual? I thought the tiptronic in that would let you bounce against the limiter, but not let you downshift if it meant overrevving.

learner
27-07-2005, 10:38 PM
its forward for up gear and back for down gear.... thats the opposite of the proper way

ford/mazda/bmw and initial D arcade machines have it the right way i think... that is, back for up gear and forward for down gear... this is the way that inertia dictates.

in superGT(JGTC) or BTCC, their gear is forward for up gear and back for down gear... u think this is not the proper way??? :rolleyes:

baboo
28-07-2005, 09:53 AM
in superGT(JGTC) or BTCC, their gear is forward for up gear and back for down gear... u think this is not the proper way??? :rolleyes:

No, JGTC /BTCC forward is down change, backward is up change.

euro1978
28-07-2005, 10:08 AM
If u want to change gears - get a manual :D

it's a funky feature that only lasts for a few minutes. Gimmicks are us :)

Agreed.

The last model prelude was notorious for the tiptronics crapping themselves if they were used too much and the cost of a replacement auto transmission brought a few owners I knew to tears.

Its a novelty and if you want to drive like that, better off getting a manual or probably a different car.

Good luck though in working it out. (and I do agree, its the wrong way around)

learner
28-07-2005, 10:49 AM
No, JGTC /BTCC forward is down change, backward is up change.

sorry about that.... i should say in superGT(JGTC) or BTCC, their gear is forward for down change (4->3->2->1) and back for up gear (1->2->3->4->)...
same as our euro

euro77
28-07-2005, 06:21 PM
For me, up should be downward, because it travels along with the motion of the car (if you get what I mean). Ford gets it right, most other cars don't .

SSML
28-07-2005, 09:18 PM
The reason I think that usually forward is down is for very torquey cars, it's easier to pull back on the stick than to push when shifting up during hard acceleration,

But the right way is forward for downshift and back for upshift.

I agree with u!
if I remember right, the original BMW box is forward for upshifting , backward for downshifting. they changed to the "correct way" now.

one other thing I hate about some of europeon tiptronic= they dont even bother to make a shift base plate (the plate where u see P-R-N-D...) for right hand drive car. except for BMW.
Benz, VW, Audi, Volvo with tiptronic style auto box all have the P-R-N-D on the left side of the gear stick (for left hand drive cars) sometimes it's difficult to see what gear u r in when the stick (or the mini leather boot) is blocking the view

euro77
28-07-2005, 09:22 PM
I agree with u!
if I remember right, the original BMW box is forward for upshifting , backward for downshifting. they changed to the "correct way" now.

one other thing I hate about some of europeon tiptronic= they dont even bother to make a shift base plate (the plate where u see P-R-N-D...) for right hand drive car. except for BMW.
Benz, VW, Audi, Volvo with tiptronic style auto box all have the P-R-N-D on the left side of the gear stick (for left hand drive cars) sometimes it's difficult to see what gear u r in when the stick (or the mini leather boot) is blocking the view

I thought there's the indicator in your dashboard that shows you what gear you are in? All auto cars I've driven has this indicator on the dash.

NeoNode
28-07-2005, 10:41 PM
You might as well complain that the indicator and wiper stalks are not swapped for RHD vehicles for European cars either. :p

VirIIx
28-07-2005, 11:26 PM
lol..

i don't mind either way how they indicate.

having owned an american car with the indicator stalk on the left hand side, you become lazy in indicating :b

EuroAccord13
28-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Now Boys... Do not drift too far off track on the subject :D.....

Yeah, I agree, my friend's CLK has got the shifter that shifts left to right to change gears and I think it's funny....

As I posted earlier, I think someone has done it to a Magna, I think the way is to reverse the pins on the shifter connector...
Back to topic, I think all that is needed to switch the

VirIIx
29-07-2005, 01:07 AM
you reckon it's really that easy?

to just reverse the pins?

hnm738
03-08-2005, 09:38 PM
shifting up should pull the stick downwards which is in most european cars (bmw etc) is right....most aud cars here like euro has it opposite... i changed the direction in my previous cars all you do is switch the positive lead around and thats it......

i dont think an fto can go up to 90kms in first gear....the invec safe guard prevents it from downshifting......even if you are at 50kms it wont let you go to 1st gear

OldnGrey
03-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Have you pulled the console apart to see if it's just microswitches?
At it's simplest it might be just a matter of swapping over two wires.

My previous car had tiptronic and I for one enjoyed it. My only problem was when I drove a Mazda6 for a test. I came back and totally lost my instincts about which way to move the stick....

sodaz
03-08-2005, 11:42 PM
too much initial D for u mate....get back to reality u are not a tofu delivery boy ! :p

My thoughts exactly lol. ;)

PNR888
04-08-2005, 05:43 PM
I think it is just the matter of getting use to it..
Like some European car have their indicator stalk on RHS, which is a nightmare for a RH drive manual car when you want to change gear and flick the indicator on at the same time.

bigdongers
16-08-2005, 02:24 AM
I think it is just the matter of getting use to it..
Like some European car have their indicator stalk on RHS, which is a nightmare for a RH drive manual car when you want to change gear and flick the indicator on at the same time.

tell me about it!

I was testing driving a C-Class the other day and you can even do the tip shift when you need to indicate. makes you indicate early.