PDA

View Full Version : Fuse Ampere ratings

mj3610
27-07-2005, 10:53 PM
hey can someone help me out, i've got 2 amps running, one says its 30x2amps and the other one is 25x1, i've currently got a 60amp fuse and im guessing i gotta change it to a higher one the big amp thats running my sub (30x2amps) can draw enough power for optimized performance right??? anyone know what sizes fuses come in??? do i need a exactly 85amp fuse if they make one or they go up by 30??? (eg 30-60-90). how higher can the fuse ampere rating be than the total for the emplifiers without short-circuiting them???

aimre
27-07-2005, 11:39 PM
The fuse should be for what CABLE is rated at... ur inline fuse protects the wires (from melting then shorting... fire hazard) NOT the amp... ur amp has its own fuses

mj3610
27-07-2005, 11:58 PM
huh? im talkin bout the fuse next to the battery in the clear case. isnt that a fuse that limits the power drawn by the amps from the battery? and ifs the fuse ampere rating is associated with the red power wire then does that mean i might have to chane the power cables to ones that can handle more power? correct me if im wrong.

chan
28-07-2005, 06:59 PM
The fuse should be for what CABLE is rated at... ur inline fuse protects the wires (from melting then shorting... fire hazard) NOT the amp... ur amp has its own fuses

exactly! the fuse should be located as close to the battery as possible to protect the wire and ur car. u might consider to put the right fuses in ur distribution box.

alta'd n13
29-07-2005, 10:19 PM
dont go changing the rating of your inline fuse. basically the fuse is there to protect. the higher the fuse rating you put in the less protection it will have against surge.

best way to go about your setup mate like i said is to get yourself a distribution block for starters. upgrade your battery power cable to 4G at least, then run your 8G from the distribution block to your amps.

mj3610
29-07-2005, 11:35 PM
dont go changing the rating of your inline fuse. basically the fuse is there to protect. the higher the fuse rating you put in the less protection it will have against surge.

best way to go about your setup mate like i said is to get yourself a distribution block for starters. upgrade your battery power cable to 4G at least, then run your 8G from the distribution block to your amps.

:thumbsup: thx advice was very helpfull. i'll buy u a lolipop when im rich :p

aimre
30-07-2005, 12:51 AM
what cable u using? what amperage (spelling) is it rated at??

mj3610
30-07-2005, 11:34 AM
using 8gauge power cbale with a 60amp fuse. i've got my 2 amps connected (8g as well) to the power cable (soldiered together).

EGB16A
30-07-2005, 06:12 PM
consider changing your power cable to 4ag from the battery, to a distribution block then split to 2 X 8ag. I personally think 8ag isn't up to par for 2 amps.

aimre
07-08-2005, 01:00 PM
OR try this from jaycar

http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_675.jpg

then put a 60 amp fuse on each cable.
i

mj3610
07-08-2005, 05:16 PM
OR try this from jaycar

http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_675.jpg

then put a 60 amp fuse on each cable.
i
did it today, thanks for the help

Captiva_Blue
07-08-2005, 06:05 PM
What I'm understanding from ur 1st post mj3610 is that you want to know what fuse to put in the inline holder near the battery.. The easiest and best way is to add up all the fuse ratings of the amps you have and get a fuse as close to that as possible, so in ur case you need around an 85amp fuse.. don't go too much above this if at all..

You should only have 1 cable run of 4 gauge to ur boot or wherever ur amps are then use a distribution block (fused or unfused, its ur choice) to split up the run with 8 gauge going from the distribution block to ur amps.. use 8 guage for ur negative runs to the chassis from ur amps..

I wouldn't suggest 8 gauge from the battery unless ur just going to 1 amp under a seat. Don't run 8 gauge to a disribution block.. u should never split a positive run into the same or larger gauge cabling, it should always split into a smaller gauge.

Sorry if I've repeated what anyone else has said..

Cap.

aimre
10-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Captiva, thats not right.

The Inline fuse, should be no larger than what ur cables are rated for. The inline fuse is there to stop too much current in the cables, thus too much heat and melting and shorting.

There just like the fuses on ur house. They go out with too much current, coz n e more, and there a risk of fire.

If the cable u got, cant handle all ur amps, buy thicker cable

Captiva_Blue
10-08-2005, 10:53 PM
I'm working on the assumption that the installation is using cables of a sufficient current rating to handle the amps and what they can draw.. most installations that use a 4awg cable as the main run would be able to handle more current than the amps with the kind of fuse ratings described in the 1st post can draw so I'm merely saying that the inline fuse shouldn't be of a much higher amp rating than the total of the fuses on the amps themselves.

Like you said, the fuse should stop too much current being drawn, so if more current is being drawn than what the fuses on the amps are rated at that means that there is something wrong with the amps and their fusing so you would want them to shut down, hence my post.

I didn't mention anything about fuse ratings in relation to cable ratings, which I probably should have coz it is certainly very important..but nothing I said is actually wrong..