PDA

View Full Version : When to Sell an Ek4

**Ghost**
28-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Does anyone have expierence as to around what mileage does an "average" ek4 will screw up really badly?

now i udnerstand that driver style, service history, etc will affect the overall answer, but lets just presume a car that has been serviced probably twice a year... and is thrashed on a... bi-weekly basis

as suggested by title, i have a reasno y i want to know when the "gremlins" start attacking the car due to age and not due to poor maintenance/abuse

when does

1. the engine start not performing? and when does it "die"

2. when does the drivetrain start to go? as in terms of clutch, etc

3. typically when do the sussy components (in particular bushes probably) start to go?

cheers guys... i'm asking as i wanna know when i should sell my ek4 before all the big repair bilsl come in... i've already changed timing belt, ignition leads, plugs, water pump, rear trailing arm bushes, rear lower control arms,

badsector
28-07-2005, 06:33 PM
I picked up my EK4 when it had 90k kms on the clock. At that stage, the clutch was worn although not slipping very badly, clutch bearing needed replacing, had a torn engine mount and my wheel bearing on the left side is making noises.

Since then @ 105k kms, i've replaced the timing belt, water pump, cam seals. Suspension doesn't feel so great anymore. Clutch definitely needs replacing. Apart from that, nothing else seems too bad.

I've heard most 4's don't need a rebuild until 200k km's or more but I definitely wouldn't want to have a 4 banger with anything near 200k kms. If you're kms are creeping up towards that figure, I think it's about time you sell...

Kenshin3180
28-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I picked up my EK4 when it had 90k kms on the clock. At that stage, the clutch was worn although not slipping very badly, clutch bearing needed replacing, had a torn engine mount and my wheel bearing on the left side is making noises.

Since then @ 105k kms, i've replaced the timing belt, water pump, cam seals. Suspension doesn't feel so great anymore. Clutch definitely needs replacing. Apart from that, nothing else seems too bad.

I've heard most 4's don't need a rebuild until 200k km's or more but I definitely wouldn't want to have a 4 banger with anything near 200k kms. If you're kms are creeping up towards that figure, I think it's about time you sell...

Damn you have had a bad run!!

My last car was am EG and I bought it when it had 160,000kms on it and never had a problem for the next 40,000kms.

Then I dropped a h22a into it and of course upgraded nearly everything. However the d16y which was originally in it was great, it never blew smoke and still looked very tidy inside when I pulled it apart.

euro1978
28-07-2005, 11:35 PM
As you touched upon in your original post, alot has to do with how the car has been looked after, throw in a bit of luck as well and it is hard to determine when part failure will occur, especially wear and tear item like brakes, clutch & shocks.

**Ghost**
29-07-2005, 12:38 AM
i dunno...cos a full rebuild (pistons, gaskets, etc etc) will cost like 1000 big ones AT THE LEAST... prolly closer to 1500

do "rebuilds" affect the price of a car? like say my car has 200,000km on it and it would sell for $13K.....would the fact that i did a rebuild with NEW parts with receipts be able to bump it back up to $15K? or MORE? cos dont rebuilds mean that the engine is basically as new again? (well not BRAND new, but u know wot i mean)

jdmlvn
29-07-2005, 07:41 AM
sell the b*t*h

garett
06-08-2005, 10:36 AM
the best i have heard of any b16 is 300 000kms mark and engine is un opened. so like anything if you treat it right it will be fine... these engines are designed to rev high... taking it to high vtec now and again isnt going to hurt her.!

replaced
06-08-2005, 11:26 AM
i dunno...cos a full rebuild (pistons, gaskets, etc etc) will cost like 1000 big ones AT THE LEAST... prolly closer to 1500

do "rebuilds" affect the price of a car? like say my car has 200,000km on it and it would sell for $13K.....would the fact that i did a rebuild with NEW parts with receipts be able to bump it back up to $15K? or MORE? cos dont rebuilds mean that the engine is basically as new again? (well not BRAND new, but u know wot i mean)

IMO people will still pay high attention to the amount of kms that the car has travelled, I mean seriously would you prefer to purchase an ek4 for 15k which has done 130,000km or an ek4 which has done 200,000km and has recently done a rebuild?

**Ghost**
06-08-2005, 12:47 PM
well to be honest as long as receipts r provided... i'll buy the rebuild... depends on whether just internal rebuild or water pump/etc etc as well...