PDA

View Full Version : baffled muffler

shaun1982
28-07-2005, 06:49 PM
hey guys, i have a 2.5" pipe underneath my 94 civic vti auto, and with is normal straight through muffler (not stainless steel) and its making an awful sound and abit to loud, i asked a exhaust shop and he said its cause of the straigth through muffler which is making it loud, he said i should get a baffled muffler. i dont really care about performance, i just want to lower the sound abit and remove this flapping type of sound from the muffler. the muffler cost $125. its a 2" baffled muffler.

with a baffled muffler really make the sound lower compared to having a straight through muffler

please any 1
thankyou

bennjamin
28-07-2005, 07:14 PM
yes it will reduce the sound as the exhuast pulse is weakened via the baffling.

mj3610
28-07-2005, 07:20 PM
stick an apple in there ;)

CIVIX
28-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah it will reduce the noise a bit. I have recently put a 2" mandrel bent system with a s/s canon and quiet happy with the result. However, I reckon without the canon, it would be alot quieter...

Good luck with it...:)

Limbo
12-09-2006, 02:22 PM
all depends on the quality of parts. I have a canon and its only slightly louder than stock. The larger the body of the muffler the better the noise reduction.

You also pay for wat you get

muhhan
12-09-2006, 07:13 PM
The larger the body of the muffler the better the noise reduction.

As long as the 'in' and 'out' pipes from the muffler don't take up most of the diameter of the muffler body.

I also agree with Limbo on the point about straight throughs not being that much louder than stock. From what I've read a good quality straight through design has better flow and better muffling capacity than many of the other types of mufflers on the market.

PS. Apologies for the technical terms :p

TYPE-ONE
12-09-2006, 09:25 PM
i got a set of xforce headers stock cat 2.25" press bend mild steel and 2.25 inch straight through muffler. my car kinda sounds like an evo now. its very un-NA like and is annoying. I want my car to be loud but raspy instead of deep turbo sound. What should i do? Engine is D16Y1

panda[cRx]
12-09-2006, 10:25 PM
hmmm usually people with xforce complain it makes the high pitched fart cannon noise

Limbo
13-09-2006, 12:29 PM
']hmmm usually people with xforce complain it makes the high pitched fart cannon noise

Comes down to cheap parts. I got a better quality Xfoce muffer in Canon and its good. no farty noise, but the muffler set me back $200 (at cost)