PDA

View Full Version : chances of hydrolocking engine??

_FeRiO_
29-07-2005, 02:39 PM
hi all. i am considering getting a injen cold air intake for my teg but people say their is a chance of water getting in and hydrolocking the engine. i have heard many people say this but have never come across someone who this has happened to. Is this jus some sort of myth or does this really happen???

any information would be great!!
thanks

panda[cRx]
29-07-2005, 02:49 PM
unless you go driving around in a flood it is VERY VERY UNLIKELY man :thumbsup:

**Ghost**
29-07-2005, 03:02 PM
well it did happen to my cousin's friend in HK... i think i tmatter what sort of cai ur talking about...

he had the DIY style so pod in engine bay with the "tubing" running to the floor... apparnetly that style aint good

panda[cRx]
29-07-2005, 03:08 PM
yeah but how many huge puddles did he drive thru?

it's just common sense man. don't do anything too silly and you'll be fine

**Ghost**
29-07-2005, 03:30 PM
thats kinda true... but...

1. ok u know the piping ppl usually use for CAI? the type with the "ruffles" and si bendable?

2. well apparently (i'm no authority btw, this is just hearsay) even if u go up a small puddle water gets lodged in those ruffles

3. and then the water travels UP those ruffles with mroe and more suction from the intake

4. then it goes up the intake and into ur engine

whereas if u had the AEM style (bent metal piping that faces down), less chance of hydrolock because no where for water to become lodged

_FeRiO_
29-07-2005, 03:55 PM
oh i see what you mean. so with something like a AEM or INJEN CAI then i should be fine.

sivic
29-07-2005, 10:49 PM
its not going to go up that bendable pipe. :rolleyes:
a filter doesnt create that much vacuum even in an enclosed box.
water is a hell of a lot harder to suck up than air and therefore the air will get sucked before any water gets sucked up.
you would pretty much need your filter to be submerged for it to suck up water (provided its an oiled filter)

Phantasm
29-07-2005, 11:03 PM
']unless you go driving around in a flood it is VERY VERY UNLIKELY man :thumbsup:

Yeah that seems like common sense that doesnt it. If only id listened...

Flood water 1
B16a 0

[stealth]
29-07-2005, 11:41 PM
u wont hydro lock in most cases.. unless big ass puddle... DEEP one too..

sivic
30-07-2005, 02:41 PM
very deep.
man, i've driven through some pretty decently flooded roads (hardcore rain came out of nowhere. no other choice) with the filter in the bumper and still no probs. of course you want to be very ginger on the throttle going through puddles. or if possible, coast through

ECU-MAN
30-07-2005, 10:33 PM
hydo lock is no myth. it does happen, but you need a big puddle and a low low filter

sesshoumaru
30-07-2005, 10:45 PM
AEM make a hydro-lock protector (i forgot the actual actual name sorry), which is an option you might want to look at for peace of mind.