PDA

View Full Version : Spot or rust

berniebern
29-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Much to my distress a small chip near the fuel door is rusting. The chip is no more than 3cms long but i'm fearing that the rust will spread. What can I do to stop the rust from spreading? The rest of the paintwork is in mint condition with no chips at all. If I use some touch up paint (the one that looks like nailpolish) will this help stop the rust from spreading?

Cheers.

mugeneration
29-07-2005, 05:24 PM
I've heard that it does, but then i could have heard wrong. The way rust works is a reaction between metal and oxygen or some such so putting touch up paint over it helps stop it i think. someone correct me if im wrong.

euro1978
29-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Yep, moisture in the air causes oxidation resulting in rust, so sealing it with touchup paint should help.

Ryanair
29-07-2005, 10:12 PM
There is a few products you can buy at Autobarn, or supercheap - they stop rust and you can paint over too it turns the rust a silver colour. If you live near the sea, get it professionally fixed, as it spreads very quickly. Trust me I had to get a whole panel rebuilt.

Steer^Gimic
30-07-2005, 08:44 AM
touch up paint on its own wont prevent it from coming back again. like what Ryanair said, go a visit to autobarn or whatever and buy some rust prevention or zinc spray, give the rust a sand back, apply rust prevention or whatever you got, then touch up paint.

that way its more protected. make sure you do it properly or it will bight back worse!

BLKek
30-07-2005, 08:49 AM
In the mean time hit it with some nail polish to stop air coming in contact with the bare surface..