PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Economy Accord--ingly

Adagio
31-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Having moved from high revving Fiats to slow revving Peugeot diesels and now into a high revving Euro Accord I thought I would document the fuel economy on identical trips.

It is too far back to compare the Fiat 124CC coupe, with its Weber carburetor, with modern machinery. What is interesting is the comparison between the Peugeot 306 HDI 2.00 diesel and the 2.4 Honda Accord Euro petrol. On a 300 km open road run to Canberra and back the Peugeot would record 5.2 L/100kms. The Honda returns 7.68L/100kms. On a good day I can buy BP Ultimate 98 octane for $1.21 a litre; today it cost $1.27/Litre. Diesel is now $1.27 a litre. So the diesel is more economical over a given distance. On a big trip it is possible cover 1,200 plus kms in the Pug before having to fill up. I get nervous when I have passed the 600km mark in the Honda, as high octane is not always available. Now incorporate the fun factor and things begin to change. I now arrive exhilarated in the Honda. In the Peugeot I arrived smugly satisfied. There really is not a lot of difference between the two cars when you begin to explore the Accord’s abilities. Strangely I would think the Peugeot would arrive first if there was a test between Sydney and Adelaide. The Peugeot would not have to stop to re-fuel thus saving a lot of time. However, I think the Accord driver would arrive absolutely delighted with his trip. Perhaps someone out there can work out the logistics mathematically between these two very different modes of transport?

The-Genesis
31-07-2005, 05:49 PM
My dad was a four wheel drive fello. with a massive v8 landcruiser. when i bought my euro, i let him use it when i was on my Ls. he used to love the economy, but complained about the performance until he saw me going vtec, he didnt like me doing that lol, but i kept doing it for thrills. Now when he is in a situation where he must move quick he goes vtec and i just look at my dad with a smile :P the irony ... i think lol. Fuel eceonomy is great for the euro with its 140 kw engine. The car is as fast as a spotivo auto (i own an auto) yes they are slower then the euro auto lol. The manual euro burns the manual v6 sportiva camry.

For the math etc :P... well.... i dunno :{P