PDA

View Full Version : Change oil at 1000km first service?

V205
01-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Hi guys,

How many of you changed your oil at 1000km first inspection service?

There's a believe that honda uses a 'break in oil' and recommend that it is not changed until the 1st scheduled service, which is 5000 or 10000 km depending on severity of use.

Is the honda FEO 10w30 a mineral oil? (not even semi synth?)

I didn't change my CRV's oil at 1000 but changed at 5000.

aaronng
01-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Almost everyone here has done their first service at 1000km, or longer because they couldn't get the car to the dealer. But not purposely to extend the duration before the first service.

Where did you hear about this break in oil and changing at 5000km or 10000km? Were you reading the Acura TSX forums? Stick to 1000km change. The reason why the US has such long service intervals is because cars that do not require servicing frequently are looked upon favourably by the population there. Also, there is nothing special about the oil in the new car. It's just regular engine oil with slightly higher levels of molybdenum (which Havoline has similar levels of). For an iVTEC engine, I'd get the oil changed frequently (according to Honda Australia's schedule), to ensure that none of the metal shavings ever get into the sections with tight tolerances, and also to make sure warranty is kept. If you don't do your first service at 1000km, your warranty is void, you know that, right?

VirIIx
01-08-2005, 04:11 PM
If you don't do your first service at 1000km, your warranty is void, you know that, right?

Americans.. what do they know? :)

That's an interesting point.. never knew that tho..

I'm thinking of taking my car in every 5,000 to get it serviced, since i can claim most of it from my salary hehe ;) plus it keeps the car in good nick i guess (in theory)

aaronng
01-08-2005, 06:05 PM
It's weird, they're told to do 10000 miles before the first service! I remember reading somewhere in one of the manuals, I think the service manual that the warranty can be voided if the 1000km service isn't done.

I want to do mine every 5000km too, but I want to do it myself.... I just hear horror stories of the engine oil dripping from the filter mount point to the suspension. I find the 6 month/10000km a bit too long for the Magnatec that the dealer uses. Can feel the engine rougher at the upper rev range 5 months onwards. Will change to synthetic next service.

jamchen
01-08-2005, 06:08 PM
well,,, since we all expected the dealer to change the engine oil everytime we visit...
however when i took the MDX for its 10,000km service which was only 3 months later for the initial 1000km check up (due to we had a long trip). i noticed they didn;'t changed the oil @ 10,000km!! how did i know? first, they indicated that my next service is 15,000km rather than regular 20,000km. and had pulled out the level checking stick and god damn that oil is Forking dirty!!
sorry if its a bit off topic. but i think i will change oil @ 5000km as local mechanic and still let honda to do the regualr maintance @ every 10,000km

V205
01-08-2005, 07:20 PM
FYI.

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Maintenance/maint_faqs.asp?faq=oil (need to
create a user login to access it) says:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?
Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially
formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear
patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the
engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the
first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your
specific driving conditions.

V205
01-08-2005, 07:34 PM
More info for not changing the oil too early.

http://home.adelphia.net/~cnewton/gifs/honda.jpg

coladuna
01-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi guys,

How many of you changed your oil at 1000km first inspection service?

There's a believe that honda uses a 'break in oil' and recommend that it is not changed until the 1st scheduled service, which is 5000 or 10000 km depending on severity of use.

Is the honda FEO 10w30 a mineral oil? (not even semi synth?)

I didn't change my CRV's oil at 1000 but changed at 5000.

All Honda dealers change oil at 1000km, which is the normal thing to do.

V205
01-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Looks like plenty of discussion over the years on this issue:

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=honda+ahm+break+in+oil

aaronng
01-08-2005, 11:41 PM
FYI.
http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Maintenance/maint_faqs.asp?faq=oil (need to
create a user login to access it) says:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?
Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially
formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process. American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.
This makes sense if they do put in their special oil. And Honda Australia states that the first maintenance interval specified in the Owner's Manual is 1000km. So why question whether if we should change at 5000km or 10,000km? The manual clearly states 1000km/1 month for the first service interval.

aaronng
01-08-2005, 11:43 PM
well,,, since we all expected the dealer to change the engine oil everytime we visit...
however when i took the MDX for its 10,000km service which was only 3 months later for the initial 1000km check up (due to we had a long trip). i noticed they didn;'t changed the oil @ 10,000km!! how did i know? first, they indicated that my next service is 15,000km rather than regular 20,000km. and had pulled out the level checking stick and god damn that oil is Forking dirty!!
sorry if its a bit off topic. but i think i will change oil @ 5000km as local mechanic and still let honda to do the regualr maintance @ every 10,000km

Doesn't your dealer explain to you when you collect your car every single check, adjustment, oil change done to your car? Mine does and it is listed in the invoice. Stated on mine is "Engine oil changed", and "Oil filter changed". So I know that they did change mine. Oh and yeah, my oil after service (with oil change) is brownish, and not black like before service.

jamchen
02-08-2005, 11:21 AM
well they stated oil changed on the invoice! (well i wasn't the one who took the car to service... i was my dad who looks TOO HONEST :P)
i asked him that he read teh invoice and saw oil change completed and he said yes...
they also signed the log book which made me believe they did the oil change...
but when i checked the oil like 2 days later and god damn the oil was dirty as$!!!
just think about you have a dealer signing in ur log book between the pages of 10,000km and 20,000km saying they completed the 15,000km service in hand writing ?1?!

vincent
09-08-2005, 10:06 PM
I don't believe that there is a "break in oil" as such. It's just normal Honda Oil

coladuna
09-08-2005, 10:18 PM
but when i checked the oil like 2 days later and god damn the oil was dirty as$!!!
just think about you have a dealer signing in ur log book between the pages of 10,000km and 20,000km saying they completed the 15,000km service in hand writing ?1?!

How can you be sure they didn't change the oil if you checked the oil 2 days later after driving the car?
Engine oils change their colour to dark brown very quickly especially when the car is new.
I seriously doubt that a reputable HOnda dealer would state on the invoice that they have changed engine oil when they did not do it.

nexace
11-08-2005, 02:24 PM
My cousin took his own oil filter when he got his accord serviced. It was an older model, late 80's. And not only did they not change his filter, they kept it! But that was a while back. Hopefully things have changed.